Thread: Sonic Forces (Windows,PS4,XBO,Switch)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Sonic Forces (Windows,PS4,XBO,Switch)

Opinions?

I heard that Sonic Forces is about 5-6 hours long and that it is buggy and not very good. I'd like to read your perspectives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I can't even get myself to buy it, and Sonic Adventure is my favorite game.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I bought it for Steam, downloaded it, and tried to run it, but no matter what I tried, it wouldn't work. I'm guessing it kept running out of video RAM. Ultimately, I had to get a refund. Hopefully, I'll get to play Sonic Forces some day. For now, I'll just watch a live video stream of it, as I can't afford a $300+ new PC to play one particular game. Perhaps in the future.

Then again, there's a few Sonic games which I haven't yet played (2006, Zero Gravity, Free Riders, Boom: Rise of Lyric, Forces: Speed Battle) so I suppose I should focus on those.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    I bought it for Steam, downloaded it, and tried to run it, but no matter what I tried, it wouldn't work. I'm guessing it kept running out of video RAM. Ultimately, I had to get a refund. Hopefully, I'll get to play Sonic Forces some day. For now, I'll just watch a live video stream of it, as I can't afford a $300+ new PC to play one particular game. Perhaps in the future.

Then again, there's a few Sonic games which I haven't yet played (2006, Zero Gravity, Free Riders, Boom: Rise of Lyric, Forces: Speed Battle) so I suppose I should focus on those.
    Doesn't surprise me, as the Sonic Generations port runs really poorly for me, and my PC is plenty capable. I could only get acceptable performance at minimum specs. Even then, I get intermittent, massive frame pacing issues in certain levels, like Chemical Plant. Meanwhile, I'm getting 50-60 fps on GTA V PC running in very high settings with most effects near maxed. That said, I still had a lot of fun with Generations.

I will stress here that I haven't played this game, but based on viewing the gameplay, here's specifically why I'm just not sold:

*The levels. Green Hill zone AGAIN, Chemical Plant Zone AGAIN, but darker and less interesting. Actually, I watched a longplay on youtube and it looks like nearly half the game or more is in dingy industrial looking levels. Sonic Forces is too dark, both graphically and thematically.

*The plot is kind of cringy, and I'm one who enjoyed both Sonic Adventures and Sonic Heroes. It's just trying too hard to be cool or edgy. I am a forgiving person when it comes to this, but..

*Too much '2D' platforming. It seems like a budget title, there are not a lot of impressive set pieces

*Enemies look generic

*Classic Sonic, Adventure, Generations, they have this mostly organic looking level design. This game sometimes looks like it's constructed out of blocks. Sonic Colors had a touch of this, but still looked much more appealing in general.

*Graphically, it still looks like a bit of a step backward from Generations. Worlds don't feel like places, or fleshed out at all.

*Create-a-character is a neat idea, but they all sort of end up looking like generic, soulless puppets. Phantasy Star Online did this better over 15 years ago.

*You have to play as the created avatar too much, it would have been nice as an ALTERNATIVE to Sonic, not shoehorned into the narrative

One or two levels have appealing aesthetics, but are still really short. I actually like the inclusion of Sonic's animal friends. I also dig the music, quite a bit actually. The avatar character had promise, but none of it works as a whole to compel me to buy. Especially like a couple weeks after Mario Odyssey came out. It doesn't look bad, it actually just seems very mediocre.

Sonic games I own and enjoy:
    Sonic 1,2,3, &Knuckles, Spinball
    Sonic Advance 1,2,3
    Sonic Rush, Rush Adventure
    Sonic Adventure 1, 2
    Sonic Heroes
    Sonic Mega Collection
    Sonic Gems
    Sonic Generations
    Sonic & AllStars Racing Transformed
    Sonic Mania

Sonic games I don't own but would like to as they look appealing:
    Sonic Colors (Wii)
    Sonic Unleashed (xbox 360) (yeah yeah, I know, but the DAYTIME levels look really fun)
    Sonic Lost World (PC)

Sonic games I played and don't like:
    Sonic Chronicles: Dark Brotherhood
    Sonic 2006
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 11-12-2017 at 09:11 PM.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Sonic games I don't own but would like to as they look appealing:
    Sonic Colors (Wii)
    Sonic Unleashed (xbox 360) (yeah yeah, I know, but the DAYTIME levels look really fun)
    Sonic Lost World (PC)
    Sonic Colors is worthwhile, you should play it. Some say it is the #1 Sonic game of its gen.

Sonic Unleashed has very good music! I played it on the Wii, and I'd recommend the Wii over the 360 from what I know if you don't want to run around 3D cities looking for people and objectives to unlock the next stage. With the Wii, all you need to do is to go to a 2D overview of the current location, select some quick dialog bubbles, and then it is to the next stage!

Sonic Lost World was awful on 3DS, but I heard the PC/Wii U Lost World is superior in many ways. I believe that the Steam/PC copy of Lost World will be $7.49 during Steam's Black Friday sale.

Strawberry (Level 2) SEGA_Queen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Sonic Colors is worthwhile, you should play it. Some say it is the #1 Sonic game of its gen.

Sonic Unleashed has very good music! I played it on the Wii, and I'd recommend the Wii over the 360 from what I know if you don't want to run around 3D cities looking for people and objectives to unlock the next stage. With the Wii, all you need to do is to go to a 2D overview of the current location, select some quick dialog bubbles, and then it is to the next stage!

Sonic Lost World was awful on 3DS, but I heard the PC/Wii U Lost World is superior in many ways. I believe that the Steam/PC copy of Lost World will be $7.49 during Steam's Black Friday sale.

I would actually suggest playing the PS2 version of Sonic Unleashed over the Wii version. The Wii port has motion controls for the Werehog, and it's sucks from what I've heard.

I personally prefer the PS2 version over even the PS3 version, as it's easier to control Sonic during the daytime stages. And the Werehog stages have better level design IMO.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA_Queen View Post
    I would actually suggest playing the PS2 version of Sonic Unleashed over the Wii version. The Wii port has motion controls for the Werehog.
    Ah, see, I forgot to mention that the Wii game can be played with a GameCube controller and that is the nicest way to play Unleashed. The PS2 and Wii game are basically the same, with the only real differences being more control options (Wiimote, nunchuck, GameCube controller, Pro controller) and superior anti-aliasing for the Wii. Therefore, you can't really go wrong whether you select PS2 or Wii in this case. :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. Funny, I always dismissed the Wii/PS2 version of Sonic Unleashed. Seems I need to give it a second look. I wasn't wild about the 3DS demo for Lost World, but watching some gameplay for the console/pc version, yeah I could buy that when it's highly discounted. The level aesthetics are nice, as a huge Mario Galaxy fan, even if the villains looks like 90's Nickelodeon rejects. I mean, I might still pick up Sonic Forces when it's $14.99 or so, that would be an acceptable price for what I anticipate getting out of it.

As for Colors.. I really have no excuse. I've always thought it looked great.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I've read official word that during the weeks of Black Friday and Cyber Monday, Best Buy will be selling 1-2-Switch, Super Bomberman R, and Sonic Forces for Switch for $25 each.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

After upgrading my PC late last year and early this year, I bought the game Sonic Forces during February. I played through it during March. What did I think of the game? It was... much better than people made it seem! I guess this might just be a case of, "Hating Sonic games is popular, so let's hate those Sonic games!" happening on the Internet.

The bugs and other supposed problems were either rare, overstated, or merely a matter of opinion. Personally, I think the game is a solid 7 out of 10. I had fun playing it and would have enjoyed it even more if I hadn't watched a play-through of it months earlier.

Have you played it? If so, what are your thoughts about Sonic Forces?