Thread: Seeking Wii Recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Default Seeking Wii Recommendations

Well, the Dork Side is nothing if not exemplar of bizarre humor.

Anyway, long story short, I went ahead and started collecting and playing Mage Knight again (if anybody cares, I'll go into detail on the Off-Topic if you want). I even managed to recruit some more players and have something like a regular group. The oddest side effect of this whole business is that somebody traded me a Wii for a few figures. It has got all the cables, the sensor bar and two wiimotes, but no games. So does anybody have a particular game or three they would recommend? I actually have next to no experience with the thing (besides getting whupped real good by a training log in Skyward Sword) and all I really know is filtered from old break room yammering.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Well, if you want to the gaming experience that millions of americans in nursing homes across the nation were clamoring for in 2007, you need to pick up Wii Sports! It honestly was a pretty cool novelty at the time to play with family. Mostly bowling, so I'm not sure why we didn't just go bowling for real.

Any types of games you like/dislike? Without knowing that...

As for a few good games, there's the obvious like Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Zelda. And some ports like Metroid Prime games, Okami, RE4, and Mario All-stars. I've always heard Madworld is worth a play but haven't myself. Little King Story, Kororinpa, and Ghost Squad (light gun game) are a little less well-known games. Maybe Ultimate Shooting Collection. Muramasa The Demon Blade is supposed to be real pretty and fun, but I don't have it.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Theres some cool stuff on the Wii. 95% of the game library is shovelware tho..

The only wii game Ive spent time with is Chocobo's Dungeon and its pretty good, especially if your a fan of the original.

Might wanna grab the ultimate shooting collection.

Also check and see if there are any games downloaded onto the system. When I got my wii there was like 90 games on the system that the previous owner bought.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 11-07-2017 at 02:09 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    The only wii game Ive spent time with is Chocobo's Dungeon and its pretty good, especially if your a fan of the original.
    That's nice to hear. I love good rogue likes and Chocobo Dungeon 2 was one of the best I've played.

Dokapon Kingdom is an excellent game, so long as you have company for multiplayer. It's a very long game though, and if you abuse a lot of the stuff in the game, the game will be near endless, so set up a few ground rules. Stuff like not using sore foot which players are then only able to move one space at a time(and if you build your character as a mage, you're guaranteed to hit 100% anyone who isn't built around the magic stat,) don't abuse attacking the item shop keeper, she gives you some amazing stuff, to the point that it's op, and also don't go darkling just because you're in last place. You can do all this stuff but I've found it a lot more enjoyable if everyone just places the game to be more co-op over. That being said you can still try and finish events before others do, just none of the super op stuff.

Dokapon Kingdom is part of a long running series since the Super Famicom, but this is the first one we've received, and unfortunately it's the last one ever since. The game plays like an open world board game with spaces like Mario Party, except you can move any direction you want. There's towns, shops, dungeons, class changes. The game is sort of a rock paper scissors style battle system where the character can do either attack, magic attack, critical, or special skill, while the other player can use defend, magic defend, counter, or flee. Each player/enemy gets a single turn and if neither dies, the battle doesn't resume until the next turn. There are items, one time magic spells, random battles, player events, world events, lots of weapons, armor, and items, and bosses. Magic users imo can be the most powerful end game, while overall weaker earlier in the game, but there's a magic defense ability called bounce which not only reduces magic damage to 0, but reflects it all back, making the magic user significantly weaker in pvp battles and is their own worst enemy.

It's better on the Wii version because not fully wide screen, it can utilize a widescreen version which will still have black bars on the left and right, but more widescreen(not stretched.) PS2 version only runs at 4:3. Both versions are pretty expensive, Wii version is more.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

There's quite a few quality titles unique to the Wii I enjoy, mostly lightgun shooters, so I don't know if those recommendations would suit your taste. If you're into retro compilations I'd definitely grab the Data East one, and the Wii has the best versions of Samurai Shodown Anthology, Metal Slug Anthology, and SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1. The Wii shop has Alien Crush Returns, which I really enjoy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    If you're into retro compilations I'd definitely grab the Data East one, and the Wii has the best versions of Samurai Shodown Anthology, Metal Slug Anthology, and SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1.
    Is it true that the player must waggle the Wiimote to throw grenades in Metal Slug?
    I also though I remembered reading that the Wii version of Metal Slug Anthology had noticeable controller lag also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Muramasa, I totally forgot about Muramasa. Thanks for reminding me, I need to get that one.

I specialize in RPG, which the Wii is pretty light on anyway. I'm actually a lot less interested in a building a big library than having a few games I know I want to play. Zelda, Smash Bros. Brawl, a couple of others.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.