Thread: Video-Game-Themed Jack-O-Lanterns 2017

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Video-Game-Themed Jack-O-Lanterns 2017

Seen any good video-game-themed jack-o-lanterns this year?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I didn't hardly see any sort of carved pumpkins this year. is this something I just missed or did any one else have something similar around them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I don't know if something's going on this year. I saw very little decorations, but I have a LOT of road construction around where I live so I wasn't too surprised. But I can also state that the place I work for makes a big deal of selling holiday decorations, and usually does well enough that we get stuck with other store's unsold Halloween stock and it's still all gone the week before, but this year we had wads of stuff left, even with huge discounts, so maybe nobody felt like it this year.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I saw one single carved pumpkin in my neighborhood (not game-themed, obviously). A fair number of smallish uncarved pumpkins though. But Halloween in the city has never been like in the suburbs for me. Trick or treaters don't even go to the residences around here, and definitely not after dark. They just go to the businesses in the middle of the afternoon.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Here in Utah, trick-or-treat has been "ruined" by Trunk-or-Treat and the Mayor's Walk.

On or before Halloween, the Mormons (the majority of people around here) gather their children in their wards (church buildings) or their wards' parking lots and tell the kids to go from stand to stand or car to car and collect their candy, school supplies, and cheap toys. (Thus why it is called Trunk-or-Treat.) Within 30 minutes the kids have a pound or two of things and the family leaves. So after that, the parents won't take the kids trick-or-treating, "justifying" their stance by saying that the children already have a lot of candy and that trick-or-treating is too dangerous.

On Halloween, the Mayor's Walk sees the children dress in costumes and gather at the community rec centers or in some towns, the main street. The kids then parade around in costumes and get to participate in carnival-style games.

The children have fun, but to me all this goes against the spirit of Halloween and trick-or-treating. On a larger scale, it kills the trust-building exercise that is trick-or-treating and prevents seeing people's cool decorations. On the smaller scale, their approach is like shooting fish in a barrel by removing all the good-work-gets-good-rewards mentality.

Sometimes, I wish I lived in the Midwest during Halloween - I hear they really know how to celebrate the holiday around there!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I really didn't see much in carved pumpkins on my neck o' the woods in Wisconsin, either. The arts center my wife works at had carved pumpkins done by our children but of what few pumpkins I did see were painted.

I wonder why there wasn't as many carved pumpkins? No time? Fear of getting them smashed? Fast rotting?

To me it really didn't feel like Halloween this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary (or lack thereof) around here, but I'm in a different neighborhood now too. There were a lot of trick or treaters, a lot of houses giving out candy. The different thing I noticed here is that a lot of people were just hanging out in their front yard sitting around a fire giving out candy to kids that came up. I did see a lot of carved pumpkins but not much fancier than your basic triangle-eyes Jack-O-Lantern.

They do Trunk-or-Treat here too, usually churches or the city puts them on, but it doesn't seem to diminish the whole Trick or Treating experience. Where I lived previously though, they had Halloween parades. You take your kids dressed up to stand on the sidewalk and let them run into the street to pick up candy off the ground that the people in the floats throw. Weird. But on Halloween night most houses would act like no one's home, turning off their lights so no one comes to the door. Only a few houses give out candy, definitely wasn't the Halloweens I remembered growing up.
    Last edited by jb143; 11-16-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...