Thread: FPS's for DS, 3DS, and PSP

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default FPS's for DS, 3DS, and PSP

Which first-person shooters are there and which are worthwhile?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

I've been down this road, and the pickin's are slim.

For the DS, probably the most functional one I played is Call of Duty: Black Ops. Content-wise it seems like it had a lot more going on than the other DS CoD games. However, I just can't stomach any of the control schemes. Using the stylus to move or aim doesn't appeal to me at all, and mapping the face buttons like you were playing a DC/N64 FPS just doesn't work too well either. 3DS games that support the circle pad pro might fare better but I don't own any, and I can't think of any 3DS FPS games (other than the free to play e-shop title that escapes me).

The PSP is a bit better, and it's much better if you're playing them on the Vita. You can setup the control scheme so it's like a Dreamcast FPS, and with the Vita you can map the d-pad buttons to the touch screens so you don't have to constantly switch your hand positions too much. I'd say the most serviceable ones I've played on it were Call of Duty: Road to Victory and Star Wars Battlefront 2 (which is 3rd person).

Given the circumstances of the input imitations developers still tried to shoehorn in fully realized versions of console FPS games and it just doesn't work. The best playing games I've found on those portables was using homebrew to play older sprite-based FPS games that really didn't require mouselook (DOOM, Wolfenstein 3D, Duke Nukem, etc). I've had a lot of fun with DOOM on my PSP.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Az For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (02-08-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Metroid Prime Hunters is pretty good. The controls do get some getting used to though.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jb143 For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (02-08-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Dementium: The Ward was a decent title. Again- it's the aforementioned control scheme you have to contend with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's third person but handles like first, Brothers in Arms DS. Solid game with good controls, but like the others saddled with stylus aim replacing a mouse which can wear your hands out fairly quickly. It has a lot of nice stages, even has destructible environments too. The CoD stuff on the DS works all the same too as does Metroid which are worth a bother. I don't remember much about 3DS and FPS games though. PSP the only one I ever liked was MOH Heroes 2, the first was so-so, and the killzone game was take it or leave it nothing special (while the COD game was awful.)