Thread: Secret of Mana Remake PS4 physical copies

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Secret of Mana Remake PS4 physical copies

I got an e-mail from gamestop and apparently physical copies of the Secret of Mana remake are available to pre-order through gamestop.

https://www.gamestop.com//ps4/games/...amestop/156840

It's funny how I just responded to a gamestop thread in the off topic section too, mentioning my less than exceptional service The past month or two. It says available for a limited time but the employees didn't have any info on when the cut-off for pre-orders would be. I did an in-store pre-order but it looks to be readily available on the website as well. I know some people have all but done away with gamestop at this point, unfortunately it is a GS exclusive. A copy of the game will run you $40. I just figured I'd throw this out there for anyone interested.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mailman187666 For This Useful Post:

Cornelius (12-07-2017)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Funny, I'm actually playing through the original right now with my son. Just watched the preview trailer and some gameplay for the re-release, and wow, I'm really underwhelmed. I expected for PS4 the graphics would be pretty amazing, but they seem kinda meh to me. The maps seem to simply be 3D renderings of exactly what was in the original, which I guess could be good or bad depending on your perspective. Gameplay seems almost identical, again good or bad? To me, it is looking like there is little reason to get this if you have the original.

I watched a little more, and I have to say that the boss fights I saw make a little more sense in the re-make. That first one especially seems totally unfair in the original with the enemies 'can't miss' knockdown attacks, but the remake seems to change that. We just did the Fire Gigas (or whatever?) and it's 'always hit' attacks don't seem very balanced either. Might be worth it for those reasons. I'll say I'm definitely tempted, but I'm a sucker for classics on modern consoles. I don't even own a ps4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

SoM was never balanced until you got magic, and you can only say it's balanced because both sides got unblockable cheese. The game is still a blast, don't get me wrong. If they fixed that alone, I'm actually a bit interested now. A physical release, even a limited one in scalper's paradise gets my attention even more. I hope it's true, and hope even more that we see a bigger release.

But time is like a river...and history repeats...
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

In some way or another I've had a 100% bad experience with their shipping, so to make sure I don't get a mangled copy, I chose in store pick up. Might as well waste my time by picking it up first than getting the game in poor condition, getting pissed off, and having to still waste my time with this trash company.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-07-2017 at 10:39 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm really glad Square Enix changed their minds on this being totally digital-only in the West, but I'm bummed they're not doing a physical release on Vita as well. Probably unlikely at this point, but I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed that they'll change their minds about that too.

All these GameStop exclusives are getting annoying, especially because I have Amazon Prime. Were this on Amazon, I'd get $8 off, free and quick shipping, and I could just order it from home. I don't trust GameStop with their shipping either. I've made a couple orders on GameStop.com in the last year or so, only because they were of games that were out of stock from Amazon proper, thus only available from third-party sellers at inflated prices on Amazon, and anything in an outer box always seems to show up partially crushed because GameStop just drops them in a flimsy bubble mailer (Amazon does the same sometimes, but at least the games spend less time going through the postal system). And that's not even getting into how, even if it's "new", they always seem to open and disassemble LEs, putting stickers and rubber bands on the inner contents, and then shove it all back in the box when it's time to ship out, not even fit in properly, causing more damage. This isn't applicable to Secret of Mana, but I'd still worry since PS4 cases aren't the sturdiest. But because of all these issues with buying from their web store, I had to waste my time just recently going in-store both to make a preorder and to pick up the Day One Edition of Bad Apple Wars, since that specific version was GameStop-exclusive. It's a pain in the butt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    In some way or another I've had a 100% bad experience with their shipping, so to make sure I don't get a mangled copy, I chose in store pick up. Might as well waste my time by picking it up first than getting the game in poor condition, getting pissed off, and having to still waste my time with this trash company.
    For me, Gamestop is a <10 min drive in tax free New Hampshire, so it only makes sense for me to pick it up in store. I'd rather it be through another retailer myself, but it is what it is. I haven't boycotted GS and I've never had a problem with a pre-order there so I put my $5 on it. I sold my copy of Secret of Mana SNES awhile ago, so it may be more worthwhile to me than someone who has the original. As far as the limited nature of the physical release is concerned, I suspect if the game is still available to pre-order today then there must be a good amount being made. In other words, I don't see anyone having to miss out as long as they know about it and don't get lazy about going and pre-ordering.

I mainly posted about this because I saw very little info about this online and I would have missed it had it not been for the e-mail I received. Even then, I could have not looked at the e-mail and missed it entirely. Just passing along the info in case you all hadn't heard about it.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I would guess that it's only "limited" in that it's limited to GameStop. I doubt they'll close preorders before the game is even out. That said, it's a pretty niche release, so I doubt stores are going to order many more beyond to cover their preorders.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I dont have a ps4 but preordered cause its secret of mana. XD
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Looks like Lost Sphear and Secret of Mana are getting wider and much cheaper releases outside of the US.

https://www.365games.co.uk/ps4-games...-mana-ps4-game

https://www.365games.co.uk/ps4-games...phear-ps4-game

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

25 British pounds converts to roughly $34 US dollars, so I wouldn't really call it MUCH cheaper. If the release weren't exclusive to GameStop in the US, people with Amazon Prime could've gotten it for the same price.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I also got to see the remake and play it in action at new york comic con last year.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    25 British pounds converts to roughly $34 US dollars, so I wouldn't really call it MUCH cheaper. If the release weren't exclusive to GameStop in the US, people with Amazon Prime could've gotten it for the same price.
    Not to mention I'm not aware of any European retailer that doesn't charge shipping. I believe 365 Games starts at three pounds for one game which brings you to $38 and you don't even get a game that is ESRB rated. I mean people complain about Gamestop and rightly so, but I have a couple of good local stores and it just seems like a much better option to pick it up day one and not have to worry about international shipping, damage, etc...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Not to mention I'm not aware of any European retailer that doesn't charge shipping. I believe 365 Games starts at three pounds for one game which brings you to $38 and you don't even get a game that is ESRB rated. I mean people complain about Gamestop and rightly so, but I have a couple of good local stores and it just seems like a much better option to pick it up day one and not have to worry about international shipping, damage, etc...
    Speaking of shipping. I just purchased Lost Sphear for the Switch and PS4 directly from Square Enix. Cheapest shipping option was over $15 for two games. And people complain about Gamestop?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I just checked the gamestop website and it looks like Secret of Mana is still available to pre-order. It doesn't look to be too limited and I'm sure will be readily available online. I was curious if it would be something that would have sold out by now or not, but they probably haven't set a cap on how many to print.

I checked out the demo of Lost Sphear on the Switch. I'm thinking of skipping it but there is a small collector's side of me that is telling me I should pick it up anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    It's more expensive for US residents to get a US copy. If I lived in an area of Europe, I'd be interested in getting a local copy, and ordering from Europe would have free shipping, but I don't live in Europe. The point still stands, as a US resident, the games are both more expensive than if I was a European resident. Far more when you consider Square Enix stores bogus shipping costs as Spartacus stated.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    It's more expensive for US residents to get a US copy. If I lived in an area of Europe, I'd be interested in getting a local copy, and ordering from Europe would have free shipping, but I don't live in Europe. The point still stands, as a US resident, the games are both more expensive than if I was a European resident. Far more when you consider Square Enix stores bogus shipping costs as Spartacus stated.
    It depends where you live in Europe. In Germany, Secret of Mana has an MSRP of 40 Euros which is almost $48. In the UK the MSRP is 28 pounds which is about $38, so only slightly cheaper and not every retailer does free shipping. You're right in the sense that there is a chance that some retailers will go below MSRP and Gamestop and Square probably won't do that here, but the price difference is minimal between regions, so it's not exactly a strong argument that we are being taken advantage of.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

You babies gotta stop bickering about price... this is Secret of Mana we are talking about here!!