Thread: Switched: How Nintendo Won Me Back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Switched: How Nintendo Won Me Back

Let me preface this by saying I have not bought a game system in nearly 12 years. In fact, for the last 12 years I would say 95% of my game playing has been via the SNES. I don't hate "modern" games. I just never cared enough to buy the systems and thus, I missed out on most games released in the past 12-15 years. In fact, I think this is the first time I'm posting in DP Modern Gaming !

And honestly, I never thought I would ever buy another system ever again.

The Nintendo Switch recently changed all of that.

I've had it for two weeks now and have devoted around 15 hours into The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and I am freaking blown away. I've only played it portable thus far and it's the only Switch game I've allowed myself to play so far. But I have also bought six other Switch games in the past two weeks. The Sinister Six being:

1. Doom ($53)
    2. Rayman Legends ($25)
    3. Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 ($40)
    4. Lego City Undercover ($20)
    5. Resident Evil Revelations Collection ($30)
    6. Axiom Verge ($27)

My first game, Breath of the Wild, was an early Christmas gift given by my brother, and my girlfriend is getting me Super Mario Odyssey for Christmas.

And I haven't even explored the eShop yet, but I know I want to eventually buy titles such as The Mummy Demastered, Golf Story, Stardew Valley, Slain: Back From Hell, the Metal Slug trilogy, all those other Neo Geo classics, Blaster Master Zero, Sonic Mania and the list goes on and on. God damn, not enough time and not enough money. I haven't been this excited about game playing and collecting in a long time. I still love my SNES but the Switch is fast moving into second place for favorite consoles, knocking the Sega Saturn off its perch. With 2018 looking very promising and depending on how the following years go, it's even possible that the Switch may bump the SNES to #2.

I love the portability of the thing. It's allowed me to do simple things like playing in bed while the GF reads a book. It's just different from both of you doing the same activities on the couch. It doesn't have the same feel or zest. Kind of hard/weird to explain, but I'm sure you get my drift. I plan to travel more next year and can definitely see where playing this on the plane or back at the hotel at the end of a long exhausting day would be extremely appealing. Honestly, if the Switch were SOLELY a "play it on the TV" kind of console, I might not have been so keen on picking one up. As I get older, life gets busier and busier and I find it harder to plop myself down in front of a TV to play video games for a good length of time. The Switch somehow makes me WANT to play. I can jump right back in with the Sleep Mode and play a Breath of the Wild in bed for 15 minutes before sleeping. It's so convenient and Nintendo has truly outdone themselves this time.

Anyway, I could keep rambling on but Hyrule calls. For anyone who wants to read my way too long Switch story, you can check it out here:

http://rvgfanatic.com/wordpress/index.php/switch/

If anyone has recently "made the switch" (sorry) over to the Switch as well, I'd love to read about your own experience!

Also, I'd like to hear from those who still don't have a Switch or those on the fence. What's stopping you from getting one? Do you plan to get one eventually? Take it from a stubborn "one system man" of nearly 12 years, the Switch is more than cheat-worthy :P

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Steven For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (12-25-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have a pretty competent PC for gaming, so I only need a console for exclusives. PC gaming annoys me sometimes though, as a lifetime console guy. I hate having to trawl forums right after getting a new Steam game so I can figure out how to get the thing to launch properly, or what magic button to press just to confirm selections in menus just so I can configure controller support. Also, DRM. I am not a patient person, so even little technical hitches impeding my entertainment really get to me. I should never need to be online to play an offline single player game. It seems whenever there is an update of some kind, be it graphics card, or an update for a particular game, maybe somethings get better, others worse. For Example, I've had GTA V PC improve performance drastically with one update, then the ocean waves just turned off entirely with another, then work fine again, and the last few times I tried to log in it would just crash. I haven't even bothered in months.

I bought a Switch for exclusives, but also to escape the aforementioned annoyances. I got Snake Pass on Switch because the PC version freezes in the same spot about halfway through the game with my graphics card (still unsolved). I got Sonic Mania on Switch because I won't tolerate invasive DRM that treats me like a criminal. While consoles are more like PCs then ever before, in general you don't have 1/5 the audience for a given console having a software issue that the other 4/5 don't have to deal with, on that same console. So if something is seriously broken (initially or via patch) on console, the response will be more united in demanding a fix, since everyone is having a shared experience.

Mostly though I got Switch for first party stuff -- and the fact that it is portable. I mostly play portables these days, it's just the convenience factor. And I mostly play Switch in handheld mode. But unlike 3DS, when I want to 'demo' a game for a friend, I can do so in a way that really impresses by using docked mode. We have a bit of a 'Switch Party' whenever I get a new title, and that has been a lot of fun.
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 12-19-2017 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I haven't bought a Switch yet because I have no need. Unlike most, I was and continue to be a huge supporter of the Vita. I own nearly 100 physical Vita games now and have at least that many digitally. The amount of money and time I've invested into the Vita makes the Switch unappealing to me until the day comes with Vita releases stop, which despite claims that the system has been dead since 2015, is still not the case. I suspect that 2018 will be the final year of major support for Vita, but who even knows. Development is cheap, so it's possible it could be 2019 or even 2020 when we finally see an end to releases on Vita. Until then, I have no need for a Switch.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Im also a huge fan of the vita, but the only releases now are ultra niche japanese novel games and rpgs, it lacks diversity imho, sony dropped the vita way too early they could have got the same type of success as the switch if they kept pushing it with first party games. But man , portable online Doom is amazing, it is now officially my favorite portable fps of all time with kz mercenary

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I do indeed love the Switch. I noticed recently that a lot of shovelware is jumping onto it, though. And honestly, it needs a tech update. The inevitable New Switch will hopefully make things like, 2017 and beyond PC ports possible.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'll be purchasing a Switch once the second revision comes out, but I'm still of the opinion that it's not going to do as well as people think it's going to. It's been exceedingly successful during its first year, but I'm under the impression that most people are the Wii U fanbase who are desperate to actually play something after going three years with next to nothing, Nintendo fans who refuse to purchase another console or go PC. Supply has caught up and the system isn't selling any better, kind of telling you the demand is dropping off, especially when it's no longer rare and hard to find, the reason it was probably selling as high as it was in the first place.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I'll be purchasing a Switch once the second revision comes out, but I'm still of the opinion that it's not going to do as well as people think it's going to. It's been exceedingly successful during its first year, but I'm under the impression that most people are the Wii U fanbase who are desperate to actually play something after going three years with next to nothing, Nintendo fans who refuse to purchase another console or go PC. Supply has caught up and the system isn't selling any better, kind of telling you the demand is dropping off, especially when it's no longer rare and hard to find, the reason it was probably selling as high as it was in the first place.
    Zelda and mario is what made the system sell imo, with Splatoon and mariokart helping to continue the wave. Nintendo cant deliver another year like this, usually after a zelda and mario things slow down and development for next games is way off. Waiting for 2nd revision is a smart move, the switch has design flaws, the console gets way too hot while docked, joycon has problems syncing, and undocked itb s very uncomfortable, lack of dpad, warping tablet, etc.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Besides the Game Completion Challenge games, I've played Switch almost exclusively since I've gotten it, which I believe was Christmas last year. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was all I played until I got Zelda: Breath of the Wild for my birthday. That was in late August, and I've put over 316 hours into it so far and still haven't freed all 4 of the Divine Beasts, and have about 20 shrines left to find and complete.

I couldn't tell you how many games I've purchased and have never cracked the seal on this year for playing nothing but Zelda and Mario Kart. They're the only Switch games I own, and I haven't gotten the slightest bit bored with either yet.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 01-28-2018 at 09:14 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Also, I'd like to hear from those who still don't have a Switch or those on the fence. What's stopping you from getting one? Do you plan to get one eventually? Take it from a stubborn "one system man" of nearly 12 years, the Switch is more than cheat-worthy :P
    I don't like trading my information in exchange for entertainment, nor do I like the fact that modern games are overly dependent on internet connectivity to function as they are intended. The controller is not simple enough for me. Beyond that, there are not a lot of games that interest me. The pick-up-and-play factor of old games is very appealing to me.

Props to Nintendo for going back to non-optical disc media. It's definitely a step in the right direction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Im also a huge fan of the vita, but the only releases now are ultra niche japanese novel games and rpgs.
    Fortunately for me, those are among the games I look for most; they are the games that I enjoy playing because I do most of my portable gaming time in bed when I'm about to go to sleep. Reading a visual novel is very similar to reading a book. I enjoy it very much.

it lacks diversity imho, sony dropped the vita way too early they could have got the same type of success as the switch if they kept pushing it with first party games.
    Yes and no. I would LOVE to see more high quality efforts like the amazing Gravity Rush, but The Vita also has a lot of well, bad AAA games shoehorned onto the platform. The same thing will befall the Switch. You have to make games that make sense with the platform.

portable online Doom is amazing, it is now officially my favorite portable fps of all time with kz mercenary
    Glad to hear that. I bought Killzone Mercenary too, but I prefer to play it on the Vita TV, not the actual Vita. If I bought Doom 4 for Switch I think it would be used docked, so I might as well stick with my PS4 version. I think when it comes to Switch games, I'm going to buy games I specifically want to play in handheld mode that I can't get on Vita.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

See, I don't see the appeal in weakened PC ports on the Switch. I mean, good for support, but I'd rather play the superior version on a PC or a more powerful console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I bought a switch for myself earlier this month.When,super mario odyssey and xenoblade chronicles 2 came out that sold me on the console finally.I don't know if i'll use it as a handheld much but it's there for me on the portability factor at least.It is crazy how the switch has turn nintendo fortune around.Funny enough the first game i downloaded for the system is blaster master zero.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 12-30-2017 at 03:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Fortunately for me, those are among the games I look for most; they are the games that I enjoy playing because I do most of my portable gaming time in bed when I'm about to go to sleep. Reading a visual novel is very similar to reading a book. I enjoy it very much.

Yes and no. I would LOVE to see more high quality efforts like the amazing Gravity Rush, but The Vita also has a lot of well, bad AAA games shoehorned onto the platform. The same thing will befall the Switch. You have to make games that make sense with the platform.

Glad to hear that. I bought Killzone Mercenary too, but I prefer to play it on the Vita TV, not the actual Vita. If I bought Doom 4 for Switch I think it would be used docked, so I might as well stick with my PS4 version. I think when it comes to Switch games, I'm going to buy games I specifically want to play in handheld mode that I can't get on Vita.
    Dont get me wrong, I own over 40 physical vita games and probably more digital, and i also have the vita tv! I do enjoy some japanes rpg and novels , but when all the games released in past 2 years are only of this genre its overkill !! I also own doom on the pc and xbox, but there is something that keeps me going to the portable mode of the switch, I can play online at my girlfriends or in my car with my mobile phone data, and I also like playing online while watching hockey or tv shows
    Last edited by PreZZ; 12-30-2017 at 12:02 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

It may sound crazy, but the biggest impetus I had to purchase a Switch was Double Dragon IV.

I've had little to no interest in anything current gen. Received an Xbox One as a gift and left it boxed up for about six months before I even got into playing it. I probably don't own but about a half dozen titles for it and see nothing on the horizon that interests me at all. When the Switch was announced I was completely nonplussed about it. A few months ago I powered on the Wii U after a long absence and started playing Mario Kart 8 some more. Having a deluxe version of it was a nice thought, but the fact I already had about $80+ in the game and DLC and had barely touched it kept my excitement in check. As I was sitting on the couch playing MK8 on the gamepad while others are using the TV I couldn't help but think of how great it would be to have something "really" portable and not just confined to one room. I also got a similar feeling when playing the Vita I picked up about a year ago; the games were good, but they all had that "downgraded portable version" stigma attached to them. My local Wal-Mart consistently had Switches in stock, including the two exclusive Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey bundles. After much debate I took the plunge and got the Mario Odyssey bundle along with a pro controller and an extremely cheap USB adapter to use wired controllers from other consoles.

Two months in and I'm totally content with the system and the games I've got for it. I've had way too much fun with the high-score leaderboards on the ACA Neo-Geo games and they're priced low enough I don't care to quadruple dip on a game I own a dozen times over. MK8 is exactly as expected, Mario Odyssey is a spectacular entry, Namco Museum is cool, and having the potential for more vertical shmup goodness like Strikers 1945 is something to look forward to. The game I've got the most hours logged into is Double Dragon IV, and it's just as awesome as I hyped myself for it to be.

Biggest gripes: no d-pad and online anything.

Not having a d-pad is a huge issue. The d-pad was obviously axed so you could play 2 players with a symetrical joycon half, so basically everyone that doesn't plan on playing 2 player games with a limited/gimped control setup got a raw deal. Even replacing the shell with a 3rd party d-pad doesn't work properly for 2 reasons; the pad sits too low (like a 3DS pad) so it causes your hand to cramp, and the d-pad doesn't/can't have a center support or rocker on it.

Online is the equivalent of being trapped behind a 2 way mirror in Times Square. You're technically playing against other people, but have absolutely no way of communicating with them whatsoever. You can have a friends list, but you can't contact them, at the very most you can see if their online or maybe invite them to a game. Playing online in MK8 is pretty much the exact same as playing against AI bots, the only difference is you might see either some incredibly dumb shit, or some conniving off the wall techniques the AI wouldn't normally do.

Strangely in MK8 they removed the line that had your state/province in it in the pre-race screen so now it just shows your Mii name and country. Too edgy I guess.

The e-shop is slowly being filled with overpriced mobile shovelware that's often available cheaper (of free) elsewhere. Where's the back catalogs of all these companies or the Virtual Console? Maybe they realized SMB3 on a flimsy analog stick just doesn't work?
    Last edited by Az; 01-02-2018 at 11:32 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Az For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (01-05-2018)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Where's the back catalogs of all these companies or the Virtual Console? Maybe they realized SMB3 on a flimsy analog stick just doesn't work?
    From what I understand, Nintendo is going to include NES games with its paid online service when that launches.

And don't forget, not only do you have the option of these
    http://www.hamster.co.jp/american_ha...ist_neogeo.htm
    you also have the option of these
    http://www.hamster.co.jp/american_ha...title_list.htm
    which includes two different Mario arcade games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reading this thread makes me want to run out and buy one, but like others I'm still in the waiting camp. It's a great system, but I know they'll be a better version out at some point, and by then it'll have more exclusives. At this point the only games I want for it are Zelda, Mario, Xenoblade and Mario Kart, all the other games I would play on it, Sonic, Axiom, DOOM, I already have on Steam.

I have a feeling though that in another year or so, hardware revisions and more first party games will make the Switch Nintendo's best console since the SNES.