Thread: eBay turning a blind eye to counterfeit games being sold on its website- thoughts?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default eBay turning a blind eye to counterfeit games being sold on its website- thoughts?

A friend of mine may or may not have made a formal complaint about it to the FBI and to the California Attorney General (where one counterfeiter is located) since collectors have complained to eBay about this for years, to no avail. These range from innocuous reproductions of Nintendo World Championship that don't even make an attempt to fool anyone to "reproductions" of Hagane that don't indicate anywhere on the cartridge that it was made by some guy in his home in 2017, not by Hudson Soft (but since the listing says "reproduction" on it, it's apparently all cool with Hudson Soft) to Chinese bootlegs of Nintendo 64 cartridges sold as brand new.

The last one scares me the most. You can get a copy of Conker's Bad Fur Day for less than $19, and these counterfeit cartridges look so legit, most people will not tell a difference. I've even heard of companies printing the PCB to the actual specs.

Does eBay care? Hmmm, let's see, 10% commission on a billion-dollar industry. What does that work out to for them?

GameGavel.com is looking a lot better to me these days.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    GameGavel.com is looking a lot better to me these days.
    Yeah, instead of using a site where some of the users are potential scammers, use a site where the owner himself is a confirmed scammer. lol

http://nintendoage.com/forum/message...hreadid=163269

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I think Game Gavel was sold over to that Piko Interactive guy and no longer belongs to Mike Kennedy. Not that it makes a big difference in the context of bootlegs getting sold wherever. I've seen listings on Etsy. Really? Handmade? I guess they were assembled on some level.

The counterfeits will never go away and it's only going to get worse until interest levels from the general public drop back to where they were in the 1990s and early aughts.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    I think Game Gavel was sold over to that Piko Interactive guy and no longer belongs to Mike Kennedy.
    I thought I remembered there was talk about it being sold but I couldn't find any information now to support that, even on Game Gavel's own "about" page there's no mention about new owners, but it talks about how Mike Kennedy created the whole thing and how great he was. You would think that any new owner would want to distance their newly acquired site from Mike Kennedy as much as possible. I seriously tried to look into new owners before I posted that, I assumed any potential deal must have fallen through as I couldn't find anything. Who knows.

With bootlegs, any site that allows individual private sellers can potentially have fake merchandise listed. You have to know what you're buying online in order to avoid that stuff, and stay away from untrustworthy sellers. I remember bootleg gameboy games being sold in person at EB games and the staff couldn't tell they were fake, I tended to point them out to them. I remember one person refusing to believe me, claiming that Nintendo must have run out of cases and started using different ones. Also at flea markets during the GBA days there were lots of fakes. They're always a problem.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Gavel was def sold to Piko, Kennedy is out. As for fakes, I agree VERY tough. They are producing exact replicas of limited edition consoles/packaging as well. Not to mention the near perfect NES Classic fakes.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Sorry to say, I honestly don't have a problem with this AS LONG AS the seller doesn't pass them off as a legit cartridge. If I buy a repro knowing full damn well its a repro, what's the problem?

In a way I'm kinda glad this is happening as this will probably be the straw that returns classic gaming to non-insane prices.

It does suck if they attempt to sell a repro as a legit cart tho.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Sorry to say, I honestly don't have a problem with this AS LONG AS the seller doesn't pass them off as a legit cartridge. If I buy a repro knowing full damn well its a repro, what's the problem?

In a way I'm kinda glad this is happening as this will probably be the straw that returns classic gaming to non-insane prices.

Well regardless of how you feel (I can't tell), it is illegal for a reason.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post

The stuff out of China is not labeled as repro, and they do such a good job, you wouldn't tell beyond it being shipped from China.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Greg2600 For This Useful Post:

gbpxl (12-27-2017)