Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

Default Beaten in 2018...

OK, I finally finished a game this year.

1.Assassin's Creed II (PS3) 03/04/18
    2. Army of Two: The 40th Day (PS3) 03/08/18
    3. Prototype (PS3) 03/25/18
    4. Terminator Salvation (PS3) 04/08/18
    Last edited by AceAerosmith; 04-08-2018 at 07:42 AM.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Sure, I can start.

One that's been on my list to play for a looooong time that I just beat last night was Metroid II: Return of Samus(original gameboy version). I had wanted this game ever since I was a kid. I even remember trying to collect kool-aid points to get it but it's one I never acquired. At first I started playing it along side the AM2R remake (which I snagged a while back before it got pulled). I would try to catch up in that game to where I got to in the GB version to more or less do a side by side comparison and so I would have a map. That got old fast though and I don't think I went more than the first couple of Metroids. It's an awesome remake though so I'm sure I'll play through it at some point(If it's even finished. I don't remember if it ever was). I have not played the 3DS version for comparison though.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

1. Final Fantasy Legend II (GB) 1/28

The first month of the year is almost over, but I managed to squeeze in my first game beaten for the year. Man, I did not expect to be playing this for a whole month. It's surprisingly lengthy for an RPG of this era, especially on Game Boy. I was a bit annoyed with the final segment. The dungeon called "Final Dungeon" is pretty misleading. All the endless staircases and the maze at the bottom is every bit as much of a "dungeon" as any other. It's even more of a pain with how it's impossible to run from almost every battle, the mid-bosses are annoying with how the number of enemies is random, and the constant screen shaking was driving me nuts. The final boss also felt like nothing special. But a few quibbles with that last part aside, it was a solid, fun RPG. I think I like the story and setting of the first game better, though FFL2 is at a disadvantage there since it's basically rehashing the concept of the first game. But everything else about the sequel is expanded and more polished. It'll be interesting to play the third since I hear it's more like another Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (which I actually really like) than a SaGa, but I'll save that for a later point in time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I've been on a GB/GBC kick lately. Since my last post I've beaten Super Mario Land 1 and 2; and while I haven't beaten part II yet which is included on the Gameboy Color cart, I did just beat DejaVu. It's another one that has been on my list for a while but never gotten around to playing it. It reminded me a lot of the non-courtroom parts of the Ace Attorney games. It was just hard enough that I'd get stuck from time to time trying to figure out what to do next, but never too hard that I felt the need to look up any of the solutions. Just play it a little more until the solution clicks.

I also beat Lego Batman playing it with my kid but I'm not sure how you decide if you've actually finished it or not since there is so much you can go back and do in those games.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

1. Final Fantasy XII (PS2)

Did a good few more things this go around, managed to uncover where all the high-end spells were, did a few more of the side stuff. The final boss was still one of the crazier things I've dealt with, with a surprise difficulty spike right before the end.

Congrats to Aussie for a victory over FF Legends 2. That was my first RPG way back in the day, and I still can't claim to have beaten it without cheating (Arsenal is EVIL). That will be definitely be on my radar to see if I actually learned anything over 20-odd years of RPG obsession. But I think first, Lavos beckons.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

1. Final Fantasy Legend II (GB) 1/28
    2. Donkey Kong Country 3 (GBA) 2/7

Man, this winter has been brutal, and I can't wait for it to be over. Even though I don't have kids, work from home, and got a flu shot, I've somehow gotten sick twice now in the span of just over a month, this second time with the flu. I hadn't even fully gotten over the lingering cough from the previous cold (and I may have had an ear infection or something after the cold because I was really dizzy for a good week there). And all this has really screwed up all my gaming plans. Harvest Moon 64 still sits untouched since December. If more time had passed between these illnesses, I would've been happy to start up Final Fantasy Legend III, but I only just finished the previous FFL after starting that when the cold hit me. So instead, I started up DKC3, since it was already in the case and would offer a change of pace from just finishing an RPG. The first day the flu hit me, I was too knocked out to do anything, but I was doing better enough yesterday to start playing, and I got the credits roll this afternoon. I think I have 5-some hours on the clock, though I left it idle plenty. The funny thing is that I bought this port primarily because of the new Dave Wise soundtrack, but in the end, I think I still prefer the original soundtrack, though neither is anything remarkable. The new area Pacifica didn't seem as well designed as the original stages either. Though it kind of threw me for a loop how they put the old sea urchin boss in there and then added a new weird boss where the sea urchin was. Anyway, I'm gonna keep playing and work toward collecting everything.