Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slate View Post
    I saw the discussion of Goodwills and Salvation Army stores in the last page. I can't speak for what it's like lately outside my little part of Pennsylvania, we all know 2003-2006 or so was a golden time in yard sales (and I had a good finds in both stores then) but I'll keep the subject in mind for future replies.

- Austin
    I could go on a bit more for the Salvation Army when it first opened in the new location. Before it opened it needed to be full of merchandise for sale on opening day, but because it wasn't open yet it couldn't accept donations. To fill the store they got the merchandise from another location further north, specifically it was extra donations that were stored in that location's basement for many years. As everything was donated many years earlier, it was better stuff. The first few days after it opened were really good, I found a really good game on opening day which I'm quite happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Slate View Post
    Steve W, how often do we find imports in the wild?
    I used to come across import stuff pretty regularly years back, there's a large Asian population around my area(being near Toronto) and being a heavily populated region in general also helped quite a bit. Platforms include Famicom, Super Famicom, Mega Drive, Master System, Gameboy, Game Gear, PC Engine, Playstation, Dreamcast, etc. Even UK releases, not just Asian imports. I found plenty years back, including Virtual Boy as Japanese games were sold locally in Electronics Boutique back when the system was being cleared out. It's mostly died off though as finding anything game related is becoming difficult, but it still occasionally happens.

I also managed to find some games recently so I thought I'd take pictures. First from the local Salvation Army on the 23rd, they're complete and were priced $3.99 each but I was able to use a $10 off coupon so it cost $13.94 total. I don't find games worth buying here too often so it was a nice surprise.

And here's some stuff I found earlier from Value Village on the 21st. It's really rare to find any game stuff this old there, I'm especially happy with the hint book and that puzzle. I don't know if I have the hint book already or not, I know I have the game boxed with instructions but can't remember about the guide. For those who can't tell from the picture what that puzzle is, it's the Nintendo Challenge Dice originally from 1969. Really surprised to find it, but sadly the case is cracked and two of the pins are missing the coloured discs so it's not perfect. Interestingly, the instructions with it are in English and call it the Challenge Dice, this was mostly known as the Chaotic Cube outside Japan so it appears to be a rarer release(or at least the instructions are). I really wish the original box was included as it could be different from what's currently known to exist.

More info;
    http://blog.beforemario.com/2011/08/...dice-1969.html
    http://blog.beforemario.com/2012/01/...e-western.html

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gameguy For This Useful Post:

Slate (08-27-2018), Steve W (08-28-2018)