Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Yearly Finds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

That's a nice find! Although if I were in your shoes I'd feel incredibly embarassed to dig through somebody else's trash. I might have even left everything there. I'm too much of a self-conscious, neurotic dork.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Oh, I definitely was, haha. In fact, part of the reason I took the stuff this time is because I regret passing on a bunch of DS cases that someone was once trashing just because I was too embarrassed to take them. They were in mint condition, and I could've bought loose copies of the games to piece together complete copies. Also, as silly as it sounds, while I was digging through the stuff, I was thinking that forcing myself to do something that embarrasses me would be helpful in combating my social anxieties. Though it helps that I'm in NYC, where people put anything and everything out on the curb and it's not uncommon for people to grab stuff that interests them, and since there aren't tons of thrift stores to donate to (nor are they necessarily easy to bring stuff to, with so many people who don't drive here), there's lots of perfectly good stuff that gets put out as trash. In the past, we've brought home various things like CRTs, guitars, other audio equipment, etc. It's less embarrassing to take one single large thing than digging through bags, though, haha. We've also put out a lot of our own stuff that gets taken in no time flat. The other day we put out a broken iMac, and it was gone within a couple hours.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aussie2B For This Useful Post:

Slate (10-24-2018), Steve W (10-30-2018)

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Although if I were in your shoes I'd feel incredibly embarassed to dig through somebody else's trash. I might have even left everything there. I'm too much of a self-conscious, neurotic dork.
    There's a whole blog by someone who posts everything he finds in the trash, some stuff is really valuable.

https://garbagefinds.com/

Personally I don't rip open bags but if I see something put out in the garbage that's interesting(and in decent shape) I'll try to take it just to preserve it. Some stuff I just donate to thrifts or give away, other stuff has some value so I'll try to sell or trade it, and some stuff I end up keeping for myself(like odd VHS tapes). I remember finding a couple N64 games thrown out at one point, decent stuff too like Ocarina of Time and Donkey Kong 64 if my memory isn't playing tricks on me. Also the box and inserts for an NES console set at a different time and location. It's been very rare to find any video game stuff thrown out which is why I can remember some specific things. I can't remember everything I've found thrown out though, only some specific stuff comes to mind. It's also rare for me to find anything worth taking at all, I'm thinking back over the last 10-15 years or so.

Unrelated I've found a few things since the last time I posted here, but I've been a bit lazy with posting and the details like when and for how much are getting fuzzy. I'll see if I get around to posting about those finds.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gameguy For This Useful Post:

Slate (10-24-2018), Steve W (10-30-2018)

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

For what it's worth, I carefully undid the knots in the bags and tied them back up before I left, no ripping involved.

I've been slowly going through what I found. I figure the best way to tackle it is one system at a time. So I cleaned and tested all of the Atari stuff first. Here's a pic of that stuff:

To list it out in text, there's an Atari 7800 with two controllers, its ancient video switch (I'm using my own RCA to coax cable to hook it up, though), its plug, and its box and paperwork. I found the following games for it:

Atari 2600:
    Winter Games (with various promo papers)
    Summer Games (with manual and other papers)
    Venture
    Pitfall!
    Super Breakout
    Combat
    Pac-Man
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Asteroids (two copies, for whatever reason)

Atari 7800:
    Pole Position II (with manual)
    Choplifter! (with manual)
    Joust (with manual)
    Centipede (with manual)
    Food Fight (with manual)
    Dig Dug (with manual)
    Karateka

The 7800 doesn't seem to be in perfect working order, as I already posted in the Technical & Restoration sub-forum, so I'm still working on getting to the bottom of that.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aussie2B For This Useful Post:

Cornelius (10-25-2018), InsaneDavid (11-15-2018), mkenyon2 (12-19-2018), Steve W (10-30-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Gotta give Aussie find of the year!

I was able to pick up a Wii U 8 GB unit with bar, HDMi cable and control pad for about $40. Owner wasn't sure if it workex: his boys took it apart to find the problem but determined it was a bad power supply. I had it tested and both control pad and system work!

Now I just have to find screws for the system. The boys lost all but one.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

yea I have come across my fair share of game stuff in the trash, some times it pays off in the long run.

i'll never forget the tg16, 3 ti 99/4a (complete) and an apple 2 with a few paper ream boxes of games and hardware. I kick my self for not digging more....

but that started a dumpster dive trend and we've benefitted from in one way or another

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The 7800's got some pretty great arcade port not found anywhere else, but you'll want to forget about those Proline controllers and source something else. DanthWader at Atari Age was selling some neat Black NES style controllers until he decided to upscale his production, which appears to be taking a while, but that'd be the way to go when he finally sells them again.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/275...ntrollers-v12/

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Those look nice. Though I won't be playing any 7800 games until I can figure out and resolve why this 7800 can play 2600 games perfectly but not the 7800 games. But, yeah, I can't say I'm a fan of the 7800 controllers. I tried using a Genesis controller to play the 2600 games and that felt pretty good. But I know Genesis controllers are only really viable for games that just use a single button.

This find has really sent me down a rabbit hole of hardware issues. I figured I'd get the Colecovision games cleaned while I'm in the process of figuring out the 7800, since I could just test them on my own Colecovision first, without dealing with cleaning up the Colecovision I found just yet. But I quickly discovered that my own Colecovision isn't working right anymore either. Granted, it had probably been years since the last time I used it. No matter the game and even if there's no game in it at all, I'm getting scrambled graphics and incorrect letters for text. From what I've read, that's usually an issue with the power supply or the power switch. So I first thought of cleaning the power supply I found and trying that, but when I picked the thing up, it started dripping what I assume is rusty water straight out of the inside of the wall wart. x_x So deeming that a total lost cause, I sadly trashed it. But I tested my own power supply with a voltmeter, and everything appears hunky-dory. So now I got my Colecovision opened up, and I tried getting at the power switch with compressed air, isopropyl alcohol, and contact cleaner. No dice so far, so I guess the next step is to remove it from the board.

Anyway, that's a buzzkill, but to get back on track with my find, here are the Colecovision games:

To list it out:

Q*bert
    Star Wars: The Arcade Game
    Montezuma's Revenge
    Popeye
    Sir Lancelot
    Keystone Kapers (with its newspaper-style insert)
    River Raid
    Front Line (with manual and 2 overlays)
    Super Action Baseball (with 2 overlays)
    Spy Hunter (with 2 overlays)
    Tarzan
    WarGames
    Donkey Kong

I'm not sure which games those other two overlays go with yet.

The nice thing is that Donkey Kong is the only one I already have. It helps that there's actually a few uncommon-ish games here. So these are some nice additions for my Colecovision collection if I can just get my Colecovision back in working order.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie2B For This Useful Post:

mkenyon2 (12-19-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I'm not sure which games those other two overlays go with yet.
    The one on the top with the letters goes with WarGames. I'm not sure about the other one.

Edit...
    Ah, Google to the rescue. The other one is Spy Hunter...makes sense given the pictures but the other overlays with the game were throwing me off. Those ones are for the Super Action Controller.
    Last edited by jb143; 10-31-2018 at 09:44 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

ok 2wo posts, one from PRGE and then other stuffs

but

ATLEAST I FOUND SOMETHING AFTER THAT CRAPPY SUMMER!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181103_224818.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	10579

MegaMan Powered Up - PSP (Complete) $10
    MegaMan X Maverick Hunter - PSP (Complte) $15
    Ridge Racer - PSP (Complete) $5
    Sonic 2 - Genesis (Loose) $2
    Clue - Genesis (Loose) $2
    Outrun 2019 - Genesis (Complete) $10
    Pole Position - 5200 (Loose) $1
    Centipede - 5200 (Loose) $1
    Clue - SNES (Loose) $4
    Nigel Mansell's World Championship - SNES (Loose) $1
    Eye of the Beholder - SNES (Loose) $10
    Blaster Master - PSX (Complete) $7
    Tokyo Highway Battle - PSX (Complete) $7

Not Pictured
    Battle Arena Toshinden 2 - PSX LongBox (Complete) $15

The oven mitts were something the wife bought I don't know how much they were.
    I saved up a bunch of money to go this weekend but I didn't find much. Didn't even find any junk systems worth fixin up this time like I usually do. I really wanted Castlevania Symphony of the Night but every one wanted way too much for it
    Blaster Master and Tokyo Highway Battle came from a store in Salem Oregon that I always stop at when I go to PRGE. I heard the PSX Blaster Master was pretty good and I really like the OG Tokyo Xtreme Racer series on PS2, I didn't know there was a PSX version so I had to get it.
    I want to toss some business their way they've been around a while and have a lot of cool stuff plus it gives me a reason to go up a see my parents

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

2nd posts!

I FOUND A THING THAT WASNT AT A CONVENTION!

Bought some games from some one at work who was cleaning stuff out.

Name:	20181103_235519.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	10580

All Loose unless stated

NES:
    Jaws
    Al Unser Jr. Turbo Racing
    Stack-Up [5 Screw] Converter Cart!
    Caveman Games
    Dr. Mario
    Tetris
    Bases Loaded
    Millipede
    Q*bert
    George Foreman's KO Boxing
    Tetris 2
    Yoshi's Cookie
    Gauntlet II
    Super Pitfall
    Jeopardy! 25th Anniversary Edition
    Top Gun: The Second Mission
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt
    World Champ
    Wheel of Fortune: Junior Edition

SNES:
    Demolition Man
    Super Punch-Out!!
    Batman Returns
    Justice League Task Force
    Speed Racer: My Most Dangerous Adv.
    Adventures of Batman & Robin
    Choplifter III: Rescue & Survive
    T2: Terminator 2 Judgment Day
    RoboCop vs. Terminator
    Incredible Hulk
    Mario's Time Machine
    Super Mario World
    WWF Super Wrestlemania
    Pilotwings
    Judge Dredd
    Best of the Best: Championship Karate
    Ultraman
    Ms. Pac-Man

PSX:
    Resident Evil Directors Cut non dual shock version (Complete)

I didn't know what to give her for it and I didn't know what the value was, but I wanted to give a SNES system to a friends kid for Xmas and this had a lot of games they would like. I also didn't have a lot of the NES games in this lot.

I gave them $80 for the list above
    I cleaned up the N64 and Gamecube and told them what to ask for on line since I have a boat load of both already

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    The one on the top with the letters goes with WarGames. I'm not sure about the other one.

Edit...
    Ah, Google to the rescue. The other one is Spy Hunter...makes sense given the pictures but the other overlays with the game were throwing me off. Those ones are for the Super Action Controller.
    Thanks for the info! I never even considered that Spy Hunter might have two different sets of overlays. That said, I did find two standard Colecovision controllers and two Super Action Controllers, so it makes sense why the original owner would hold on to both sets of overlays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I didn't end up buying this but saw it earlier today. It seems to be unicycle branded with Ubisoft and Rocket Robot on Wheels, I'm guessing some type of promotional item or contest prize. It's an N64 game for those wondering. I have no idea about the value and couldn't find anything online about something like this which is why I passed on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

huh judging from the dust on it who ever had it didn't know either.

if it were $15 or so I would have got it as funky trade bait but knowing goodwill lately it was probably much more than that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Kind of wish someone would have had more info on this but I'm not exactly surprised with the lack of replies. It wasn't at a Goodwill, it was actually at an independent thrift near me that rarely has anything I'm interested in besides the odd VHS tape. My personal limit would have been $20 but it was a bit higher than that. I haven't been back yet to see if it sold or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

i picked up a few games from gamestop over black friday...nba live 19 and detroit become human both 19.99 each...and uncharted lost legacy for 9.99. live 19 was for xbox one. also got a few games from pawn shop for $8 each...yakuma kiwami on ps4, nba live 18 and madden 18. yakuma is on ps4 and madden and nba on xbox one....everything complete....also about a month ago bought themega retron hd from hyperkin shipped for $45

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Black Friday week pickup. I can't say no to Dead or alive beach volleyball eventhough I already have 2 copies....lol

Name:	IMG_9496.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	10584Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9459.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	10583Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7352.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	10582

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I saw a bunch of NES and Atari 2600 commons at an estate sale resale shop in a mall at various prices. I didn't want them. I also recently had a dream of seeing a few common NES and SNES games at ridiculous prices ($10 each) in a local Goodwill.

Really, some of my interest's gone to my 1950s Hoover 62 Vacuum. Maybe I'll find brushes for it which are obsolete and difficult to find but don't command much money on eBay. I missed 3 pairs of them recently.

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 12-18-2018 at 03:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Found 4 GBA games for $1 at a small thrift store. 3 out of 4 don't have labels and one, missing its label, had permanent marker on the front:

Mario VS. Donkey Kong (Initials in marker on back; "A.R.B.")
    Megaman Battle Network 3 (White) - (Initials in marker on back; "A.R.B," had marker on label area; )
    Yu-Gi-Oh Dungeon Dice Monsters (Has label.)
    Yu-Gi-Oh Worldwide Edition Stairway to the Destined Duel

There was an Xbox without cables or controllers I passed on (having one already.)

I also found other items in the same store; 12 VHS tapes of MST3k, a few pencil sharpeners (one shaped like an early 20th century train) and RCA cables.

- Austin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I had kicked myself for trading in my Vita for a New 3DS. While I enjoy my 3DS as this version fits my hands better, I liked the ability to cross buy games for PS3 and Vita. Add to that I found I liked playing Minecraft alone as little builders seem to think they know what I'm building. I turn my virtual back and then suddenly a giant tower appears like it's the Black Fortress, adorned with torches on each side lighting the night.

One day I was puttering on eBay and someone was selling the OLED model, like I had, with Hot Shots Golf, 4 GB of storage case, power supply but with a bad battery for $69. I won it at that price. Other than the battery, the system runs great. I've got a replacement battery on order.