Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Yearly Finds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ncman071 View Post
    .however, i did get it to turn on...but for the life of me, it will not read a cartridge...probably bad capacitors...
    Capacitors are more likely to make the screen dark and I think cause sound issues. Since it does turn on, try cleaning the cartridges and connector really good with isopropyl alcohol and see if that helps. But yeah, either way, there's a good chance it needs new caps.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I stopped at a GameXchange in Shreveport, LA and found a few boxed and possibly factory sealed Japanese Virtual Boy games - the one here was only $12.95. I don't know if it's been sealed after the fact, there's a big gap in the plastic wrap on the back side which makes me think it's been re-sealed. And I bought the Super Famicom F1 game for $4.95 at a place called 2nd & Charles.

That GameXchange had a bunch of loose carts, too. Including Waterworld for $115. The salesperson told me they also got in Jack Bros. for something like $250 and sold it really quickly.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Games sold in cardboard boxes in Japan were almost never sealed in plastic. Somebody definitely sealed it later on.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie2B For This Useful Post:

Steve W (03-17-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Yeah, I kind of assumed as much. The shrink wrapping isn't really the kind you get on new game boxes, it doesn't seem factory quality. Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

This would have been a weekly type of find a few years ago but since I actually haven't found much of anything lately, I'll post this.

I went to a Goodwill today that charges $1 per pound so this stuff cost practically nothing.
    A Zork choose your own adventure book
    A Gravis Gamepad Pro
    Lego Indiana Jones DS
    New Super Mario Bros DS

I also found an Arduino with a few odds and ends that go with it, a webcam, component video cables, night vision goggles(ok, they're basically a toy but they actually work so whatever), and a few other things that I don't remember.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-20-2018.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	10510
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jb143 For This Useful Post:

Cornelius (03-25-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    I got a tub of black wii...
    Someone would actually sell that?!

(Snicker)

Dang, that name for a particular Nintendo game system still makes me giggle when I read stuff like this. I'm still juvenile at heart (snickers more)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Traveled the past weekend from Monterrey to Mexico City for a concert and I gave myself one day to go hunting VG... things were better a few years ago, the city has dried and no more cheap VG to hunt, the local markets usually have scavengers arriving at 04:00 or 05:00 AM, if you visit a market at 8 or 9am you don't find anything interesting.

Visited a few formal retailers (GAMERS) and nothing interesting for me, visited a few informal stores (Meave and Friki Plaza) where I found a few interesting games but quite expensive. I was interested on Phantasy for SMS for $45USD CIB ... ended only buying Zone of the Enders Limited Edition for PS3 for $33USD NIB
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to eskobar For This Useful Post:

mkenyon2 (12-19-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eskobar View Post
    the local markets usually have scavengers arriving at 04:00 or 05:00 AM, if you visit a market at 8 or 9am you don't find anything interesting.
    That's always been one of my problems. I'm a night person, and I've been working evenings or overnights for decades now. I can't force myself out of bed so horrifically early, so I tend to miss all the good stuff that gets snatched up in the morning. The finds I come across are usually the stuff others overlook.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

I have been building my Gamegear collection some...not necessarily finds becauase i used lukiegames.com...but got nba jam t.e., two daffy duck games, mickey mouse land of illusion, streets of rage 2, $60 shipped...not terrible....

Also couple weeks ago picked up the Retron 5 @ gamestop...they had it on sell for $99.99...much better than the $140 it was going for

lets see...nhl 18 about 3 weeks ago...really good game

oh couple days ago picked up marvel vs capcom infinite and persona 5 both on ps4...both complete in Steel Cases. MVC was $15 and Persona 5 was $35 i believe both with the elite membership...

Recently on the Genesis i picked up a 6 button controller, Contra Hard Corps, Lightening Force Quest for the Dark Star, and Castle of Illusion all from jjgames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The local Goodwill has been selling Wii remotes with Motion Plus built in for $3 a piece. I picked up a couple but haven't had a chance to try them. They do power up, though so there is hope. One powder blue one has a busted tab for the battery door but once I get my tri-wing screwdrivers I'll swap the bottom with one of my dead remotes.

Now I just have to unearth the Wii from the basement.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

fuck Goodwill. They advertise as a nonprofit chain. I don't know what exactly is nonprofitable about taking every video game cartridge that comes through their door and putting it on their own auction website, trying to obtain the maximum amount of profit possible.

Goodwill is basically a pawn shop now. if I were running that company and I knew that a Mega Man X3 came through the door and the "seller" "sold" it to us for $0, I would put it at $30-40 max, knowing that it's still bringing in profit to the store to keep the lights on and pay employee wages. If these scam artists want to be video game resellers, they should advertise that way, and actually PAY people for the product they are bringing them instead of getting rich off old ladies bringing in their dead husband's old games. I will never support their online auction bullshit.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I don't have that problem much at the good wills I am at.

most of the time they list antiques on shopgoodwill and leave electronics out of it. the electronics they do sell they don't get much for.

case in point a few years ago some one dumped a ton of Saturn stuff. most of the games were anywhere between 2 and 8 bucks with probably the 2 they looked up being more.
    Panzer Dragoon was $15 and Albert Odyssey was $40 considering complete was about $200 at the time and it had the case but no manual. $40 wasn't bad.

whats odd was they just looked up the two games, the one I really wanted out of the deal was Marvel Super Heroes, it was complete and most of them were $120 at the time and they sold it for $4

was such a strange day

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Wow, I never really found much of anything in Goodwills before, apart from a few oddities here and there. Salvation Army stores are the ones where I never, ever found anything of interest in. At least with Goodwill, I've found a bunch of Memorex VIS "games" (at a Goodwill within sight of the Tandy/Radio Shack headquarters, by the way) and at that same location a pristine copy of Shining Force CD for $2.50. So I can't say I haven't ever found anything there. But I can't remember getting anything at all from any Salvation Army location I've ever been to.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Wow, I never really found much of anything in Goodwills before, apart from a few oddities here and there. Salvation Army stores are the ones where I never, ever found anything of interest in. At least with Goodwill, I've found a bunch of Memorex VIS "games" (at a Goodwill within sight of the Tandy/Radio Shack headquarters, by the way) and at that same location a pristine copy of Shining Force CD for $2.50. So I can't say I haven't ever found anything there. But I can't remember getting anything at all from any Salvation Army location I've ever been to.
    I found an Out Run and a Dragon Warrior, both CIB at Salvation Army, cheap. that's about the best I've found there. usually it's 360/PS2 sports games or those vtech games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Interesting that you say that. I have rarely ever found anything game related at Salvation Army, but the several times I actually had it was CIB NES games for next to nothing.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It depends on the area and when you were looking. Years ago I found lots of great game stuff at the local Salvation Army near me, then a few years ago it moved to a new bigger building slightly north and it hardly has anything anymore. They're mostly relying on local donations and I guess they don't get many games now. What I was told years ago was that some stores don't get many donations so they get stuff delivered from other stores that gets too many constant donations for them to handle. The stores that are shipping excess stuff keep the best stuff for themselves while getting rid of unsellable garbage to those other locations so it really depends on the location that you shop at.

I know for the Value Village near me all of the clothes are priced and shipped in from other locations, it's just the electronics and housewares that are from donations directly made to this location. I'm not sure how it is elsewhere though.

The closest Goodwill to me was a few towns north of where I am, I found stuff occasionally from them but I can't remember much worthwhile. Actually many years earlier this store used to be at a different location and I did find good stuff there somewhat regularly, but once it moved it just got worse and the pricing increased. Goodwills have all closed down since then.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Gameguy For This Useful Post:

Slate (08-06-2018)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

seeing a lot of signs for garage sales around town lately. been tempted to stop but usually I see them when I'm busy doing something. I'll have to set aside some days and just go garage sailing all day. I'm sure there's a Stadium Events out there somewhere for $2 just waiting to be found

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

theres a near by city wide sale going on tomorrow and (technically) sunday. i'll be out all weekend yard shopping

it was the same city wide I got my DK Cocktail at last year

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

As things were drying up years ago, I found that garage sales were pointless unless you went fairly early. By about 10 I would almost never find anything. Also, a lot of people start them on Wed or Thurs, and you really need to get there on the first day.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Cornelius For This Useful Post:

Slate (08-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    As things were drying up years ago, I found that garage sales were pointless unless you went fairly early. By about 10 I would almost never find anything. Also, a lot of people start them on Wed or Thurs, and you really need to get there on the first day.
    My wife goes to garage sales quite regularly and she occasionally finds games. More often than not though, the only gaming related items she comes back with are t-shirts and occasional guides. So I guess it depends on how liberal your definition of "find" is.

I know when we'd have a sale and I'd put a general "video games" in the listing and there would be people fly into the driveway, jump out of their car, run up to us and ask if we had any games left.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jb143 For This Useful Post:

Slate (08-06-2018)