Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Yearly Finds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Goodwill's still only at 1% in "Interesting" and Salvation Army's not much better around here lately. I went to a St. Vincent De Paul (another thrift store) in Kittanning and found nothing there the other week but I was not early. I know I only recently got back into looking for games but so far it's been pretty sparse. I know I might have been spoiled with finds from 2003 - 2006 and even back then I often didn't find anything for some time. I'm still glad I got anything.

Today:

DS Cases & Manuals:

History: Great Empires: Rome
    My Dress-Up
    New Super Mario Bros.
    Petz Nursery 2
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
    Super Mario 64 DS

- 37 Cents For All

Missed 2 DS Systems and a variety of games yesterday from that yard sale for $50. I probably would have picked those up.

Saw but Passed On:

NES with Grey Zapper, 2 Controllers and 8 (give or take) Games - Wasn't in a yard sale, I wasn't even going to that town at first; someone saw the station wagon then saw speakers Father had picked up in the back and eventually we got to talking, I drove over to his house and after some talking about speakers and guitars I mentioned I was looking for old video games (or computers) and he showed me this NES. I'm not sure if I'm going to get it or not, it did have some somewhat decent (for resale) titles with it like Mario Bros. Arcade and SMB 2.

Later:

Bought:

C64 Power Supply
    T.I. 99/4A Power Supply

25 cents each. Bought from the same place that had the Atari 600XL and TI99/4A I got last year. At least now I know the TI99/4A turns on.

This isn't a great way to spend gas money though, I'm not the one paying for this fuel but in the classic Mercury (18 MPG) it cost about 10 gallons of gas. I'm in for the fun of it all.

EDIT:

Sunday: Went to a flea market that was sparsely populated with vendors (unlike how it was a few years back.) Saw an Atari 7800 for $60, a bunch of 2600 and 7800 games at various prices. There was a copy of H.E.R.O. at his table for $25 with a faded label, I passed even though I was looking for a copy. Why did I get up so late?

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 09-02-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Ran across Pac-Man for Neo Geo Pocket Color today and decided to pick it up because I never see anything for NGPC anywhere ever and my collection for it is so small. But man, that game is hard to play without the control stick rings.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Ran across Pac-Man for Neo Geo Pocket Color today and decided to pick it up because I never see anything for NGPC anywhere ever and my collection for it is so small. But man, that game is hard to play without the control stick rings.
    I really wanted to like the Neo•Geo Pocket Color, I really did. I was never a Nintendo fan, so I was excited there was competition in the handheld market from a company with a good pedigree. But I never found anything I could tolerate playing on that annoying controller nub. The games never sparked my interest enough to tolerate the bad controls (much like the N64). But as bad as the control pad is on the NGPC, it doesn't hold a candle to the awfulness of the Tapwave Zodiac's analog controller. I dare you to make it through Duke Nukem 3D on the Zodiac. It's practically impossible with the crappy controls. I want to turn slightly to shoot a bad guy... no, I've turned around 180 degrees and I'm getting shot in the back, and looks like I'm dead. Again. So pointless.

Also, I now know that Pac-Man on the Neo•Geo Pocket Color came with control stick rings. I bought my copy of the game in one of those 4-and-6 packs that the company that bought SNK slapped together to get rid of old stock, so I never had the chance to play it properly. Damn.
    Last edited by Steve W; 09-04-2018 at 01:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    But I never found anything I could tolerate playing on that annoying controller nub. The games never sparked my interest enough to tolerate the bad controls (much like the N64).
    I actually like the control stick, it's just horrible for pacman without those rings. I haven't played the NGPC in a while, but there was a time that I was really into Card Fighters Clash. And there's not really any truly bad games for the system, so long as your into the genera of game.
    Last edited by jb143; 09-04-2018 at 09:43 AM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The wife, three of the kids and I went to "Maxwell Street Day" in Cedarburg, WI. It's actually a big flea market on the Ozaukee County fair grounds (I think that's the name). I'm hobbling about due to a sprain in my back that's pinching a nerve in my leg, but I managed to get about. The place is mainly people selling a variety of antiques and collectables at market prices with some deals here and there.

I purchased a complete copy of Animal Crossing: Wild World for $15 at a game store's tent. It's probably the going rate on the 'Bay but my kids will enjoy it. I coukd have had a newer XBox 360 with Kinect for $57 but it didn't have a hard drive. The kid who was selling it pushed hard, stating he'd get the drive and bring it to his mom's store but I passed. Also passed a somewhat loved Yoshi plush that the seller cherrfully said was $10.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

my ebay games came in today, like I say not really a find in the sense but hey its something and I wanted to try out a new seller on ebay I found.

I got
    Exhaust Heat Complete for Super Famicom $13.20
    Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon R Loose for Super Famicom $16.46
    Pinball Quest Loose for Famicom $5.10

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Found a Dreamcast with the power cord (No controllers, VMUs, games or video cables) for $6.99 before a 25% off discount today; making it $5.55.

TBH I'm not sure if I'm feeling good about purchasing this. I felt conflicted when I first saw it, after buying it I felt OK but lest I say something I'm not sure I'll f̶e̶l̶l̶ feel that splendid.

- Austin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dreamcast Edited.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	10570   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Receipt Edited.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	10571  

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I get systems like that and I just think of it as saving it from being needlessly destroyed, even if you sell it on

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Niku-Sama For This Useful Post:

Slate (09-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Rummage Sale: Rainbow Vacuum Cleaner Accessories, 25 cents

I asked if there were more sales in the area, they told me of a porch sale a little distance off. I went there and found a Genesis 2 / Game Gear / Etc power adapter for 75 cents. There's another rummage sale starting at 5:30 in a few days.

EDIT:

September 13:

Decided to go to thrift stores before the bike trail. Good thing: Salvation Army was 75% off:

N64 "Tremor" Pack in Box (Used) - $1.625
    Pharaoh (PC, 1999, Big Box in Good Shape) - With 2 Booklets, Very Condition Game - 25 Cents
    3rd Party PS1/PS2 "Dual Impact" Controller, Translucent Green - $1

Non-Gaming Items:

Belt - 25c
    2 Books
    Automotive Air Conditioning Leak Detection Kit - $5

The Goodwill just up the road didn't have anything I was looking for. The nearby local thrift store, however, did:

Original Xbox Controller by Pelican
    Final Fantasy (NES, Loose)
    Printer Cable
    Sim City 3000 (PC) - Game & Case Only (Cracked case)
    Who Wants To Be a Millionaire (PS1, Greatest Hits, Complete)

$5 for this lot.

September 14th:

One Sale: Random 70s Pong Controller - 25 Cents (not sure what it's to, there's no name on it.)

At another sale: Centipede - Atari 2600, Loose, Missing End Label - 25 cents (he said he'd give it to me for free but I gave a quarter anyway.)

I didn't get a whole lot in the last few days but it's interesting seeing something at all show up. As for Centipede, it's from the same people who had a copy of Yars' Revenge I saw a few years ago. They have more Atari games, a 2600 and a Commodore 64 buried in the house somewhere so I'll keep coming back to their yard sale on occasion.

Edit 2:

Found that I never sold these:

Gamecube Kiosk Demo Disk 31 (Disc only)
    Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast, Loose) - My copy I purchased in 2003 / 2004

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 09-15-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Yard sale find. 25 cents each.
    Dino Crisis 2 (PS)
    Ape Escape(PS)
    Ape Escape 2(PS2)
    Rollerball(NES)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jb143 For This Useful Post:

Slate (09-22-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Yard sale find. 25 cents each.
    Dino Crisis 2 (PS)
    Ape Escape(PS)
    Ape Escape 2(PS2)
    Rollerball(NES)
    Awesome!
    Very nice!
    Cool!
    Dah, I freaking hate that game!

Seriously though, nice pickups. Reminds me of the finds / prices from a decade ago.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to InsaneDavid For This Useful Post:

Slate (09-22-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Awesome!
    Very nice!
    Cool!
    Dah, I freaking hate that game!

Seriously though, nice pickups. Reminds me of the finds / prices from a decade ago.
    Haha, yeah, tell me about it. I was just happy to find anything. Usually all I see, if anything, are girly DS games.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jb143 For This Useful Post:

Slate (09-22-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Found the other day:

Unknown 1970s Pong Console Knob Controller - 25 Cents (Yard Sale in a barn.)

SNES/N64/Gamecube Composite cable for $1 (Goodwill; store moving sale, 50% off.)

A few minutes ago, eBay:

Dreamcast VGA Cable for $13.62 shipped. Not a find.

I went to a small store that had a bunch of game items in it. All of it seemed to be at market pricing. Genesis II - $45, N64 - $55, Myst on Saturn - $9... There were a bunch of guys there having a D&D tournament or something like that, talking loudly. No judging, no offense but now (reflecting only on myself here) I think I see why I left gaming (for the most part) for years.

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 09-22-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Local St. Vincent store started selling games again but closer to market on some titles. Picked up "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" and the newer bresker-style Original Xbox power cord for $11 total. Today I had a chance to check out a store in the city I work in and got a blue Microsoft-brand Xbox controller for $1.50. It looks like it was hardly used.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Arrived at a Flea Market around 7:40, people were still pulling in to their spaces. Passed on a 360. One seller pulled 3 SNES games out of a Christmas box of all things as I walked by, I didn't realize he was the seller at first. I came by, he had a Genesis controller and something else game related I didn't need. I picked everything up, he said $8. I put the controller and other item down and got these for $5:

Championship Pool (Fair condition)
    Super Mario All-Stars (Average - Good condition)
    Super Mario World (Player's Choice edition; Good condition)

I saw a wireless Atari controller but wasn't sure if it was to a Flashback or not. In retrospect, I don't think it was an original; it had no antenna. The lady wanted $3 for it, I didn't ask further.

Passed on 8 - 10 common Atari 2600 games for what seemed to be $75 (it wasn't well marked.)

Saw a Genesis (2) for $50, passed...

Went inside the building on the Flea Market grounds and there's a dedicated reseller in there. NES systems, SNES systems, some Genesis and Playstation and Atari systems including 2 that don't turn on for $10 ea. In there I saw an Atari 5200 4 Port without any controllers, games or wires; it's not in the best condition but I've seen worse and I wanted to see if I could buff out some light scratches. I paid $19 ($1 off since I asked,) probably not the greatest price but I wanted to modify a 4 port like this and I don't really care if I need to repair a couple things in it first. I rarely saw 5200 stuff in the wild anyway.

Stop at Cash In Culture in Monroeville Mall - picked up Super Breakout (5200) for $3. I had no 5200 games for when I test this 5200.

Last stop: The Exchange in Monroeville. Picked up Dreamcast Magazine Disc from July, 2000; Vol. 6. Includes Dreamcast Web Browser 2.0 and some game demos. Paid $3.

Total: $30. I'm glad to finally have a 5200 at all. I also found I actually have the TV connector for the Ti99/4a find from last year. All in all, I'm not going to say it's the same as the 71 game haul for $17-$18 in 2004 but I'm happy to find things I wanted.

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 10-01-2018 at 11:04 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Not me personally but a guy in a FB group I'm part of found a Hot Slots for 99 cents the other day. He only saved himself about 1,499 dollars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

My wife came back from a yard sale this weekend with 2 boxes of video game cables and controllers for a combined total of $5. Took a while to get everything untangled but there was a couple PS2 and XBox controllers, various video cables, several headphone/microphone headsets, PS2 controller extension cables, GBA link cable, various power supplies and cables, an N64 Voice Recognition Unit with microphone, a Guncon 2 with the T cable, and probably other cabley stuff that I can't remember at the moment. It was 2 copy paper boxes packed full of stuff. Once I got everything untangled and organized, I was able to fit it all nicely into one box, but still a lot of stuff for $5.

The funny thing is that I just bought a Guncon 2(without the T-cable) off eBay recently after looking a good long while for one and not finding one anywhere at a decent price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

So I guess I am not the only one in my area that noticed the dry spell. I wonder if it had something to do with the firest fire smoke that kept blowing in for 3 months straight.
    well its gone from 90 degrees and smoky to about 60 and raining (much prefer rain any way) and I noticed that goodwill, salvation army and other thrifts are FLOODED with donations so if any thing most people said eff it and donated it all this year.

so I expect to find something game related soon, and if not its money saved for PRGE.

NON game find how ever, Last week I found:

Toshiba Stereo Power Amplifier Model SC-335 (1978) $15 working

I figure I could use it to drive some speakers for my gaming set up but i'll need a pre amp of sorts to go with it since it has no volume control.
    Still a cool piece of old hi fi equipment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

October 7: I went to a fairly close town that has flea markets occasionally. They seem to be better than my local town for yard sale items:

Flea Market 1:

Wii
    Controller & The Cables
    Wii Fit Board
    3 Games with Cases

Flea Market 2:

Atari 400 (seems like it was dropped since the keyboard's back a fraction of an inch but the keyboard works)
    Atari 400 Cassette Deck

Atari 400 Games/Programs:
    Basic Computing Language (With programming book and box)
    Centipede
    Star Raiders
    Various Booklets

Atari 2600 Games:

Adventure
    Barnstorming
    Lost Luggage (missing end label)
    Video Pinball

1 Atari 2600 Joystick (missing the plastic on the joystick)
    2 or 3 Paddle Controller Sets
    1 2600 A/C Adapter
    2 Switchboxes

Paid $20 at each flea market; $40 total. I may have missed a few items.

I also bought electrical components to mod my Atari 5200 4 Port so I don't need the funny power box and so it can be compatible with the Atari 2600 adapter. That cost $10.xx shipped. Still have to look into the video mods.

I don't suppose I'm being the cheapskate I was in 2006. Yeah, though; the market changed. I may or may not buy a Vic-20 from the same fellow who had the Atari 400.

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 10-09-2018 at 12:05 AM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I made quite the interesting find today. Or rather, my fiance did, because I probably would've walked right past it if my fiance hadn't begrudgingly pointed it out, haha. (Begrudgingly because he's not eager for even more piles of game junk being brought into our home, haha.) Someone had put out bags for recycle, and they were loaded with 80s game stuff. It's gonna take some time before I make sense of it all, but there's a Colecovision, Intellivision II, Atari 7800 (and its box), 60-some carts for the three, a whole bunch of manuals and inlays, an Intellivoice, among other stuff. There's a big tangled mass of cables and controllers, so I don't yet know if any of the systems are complete with all the hookups and such. Strangely, among everything, I spotted an NES RF switch and manuals for Zelda and Blades of Steel. I'd love to know what happened to this person's NES stuff, but I certainly can't complain about what all I did find. I just hope I didn't leave anything behind since there were other bags, and the game stuff was mixed up with old toys and holiday decorations and such. But I think I was about as thorough as I could be digging through someone's trash on the sidewalk, haha.

I'll definitely need to clean this stuff up, since everything feels kind of dusty and grimy (seems like somebody was clearing out an attic or something), so maybe I'll get a photo and a list later on. But if everything is in working order, it's a nice find for me in particular, as I have very little in the way of Atari stuff and pre-crash games. The only system I already have is a Colecovision. I welcome more games for that, and now I'll possibly be able to play the Intellivision carts I already had, since I had some games but no system. And as someone with no Atari systems until now, a 7800 is perfect. Now I should be able to play both 2600 and 7800 games.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aussie2B For This Useful Post:

Cornelius (10-21-2018), mkenyon2 (12-19-2018), Slate (10-24-2018)