Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: good overlooked titles on 16-bit era consoles?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Darkwing Duck for the TG16, and DJ Boy for the Gen are two that pop into mind off the bat. I know Darkwing is hated on, but I have always liked it for some reason.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I'm a fan of Metal Combat but a super scope is a pre requisite for this one.

pretty BA though

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Another one I'll recommend: Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures. It's on both Genesis and SNES (I'm not sure what the difference is as I only ever played the SNES version). It's a game people like to hate on but honestly, I love it. It's kind of like a point and click adventure but you don't directly control Pac-Man, rather you're an observer/friend of his who basically tries to help him out.

And I just love the Pac-speak he talks. I am so miffed that Pac-speak didn't become canon. (Or did it? Admittedly I never followed the series after this)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Another one I'll recommend: Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures. It's on both Genesis and SNES (I'm not sure what the difference is as I only ever played the SNES version). It's a game people like to hate on but honestly, I love it. It's kind of like a point and click adventure but you don't directly control Pac-Man, rather you're an observer/friend of his who basically tries to help him out.

And I just love the Pac-speak he talks. I am so miffed that Pac-speak didn't become canon. (Or did it? Admittedly I never followed the series after this)
    I actually mentioned Pac-Man 2 in my first post. Good memories with that game. Great, bright, colorful graphics, catchy music. I liked the hang gliding part the most I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

Like you, I can really only list games that I almost never see mentioned, so for all I know the games I'm about to mention are super popular. (For the record, I love ClayMates, and I played a ton of Virtual Bart as a kid.)

Some SNES games that haven't been mentioned (in no particular order):
    * Krusty's Super Fun House - Really has nothing at all to do with The Simpsons, but it's a fun little puzzle game about smashing rats with a giant boxing glove/mallet thing.
    * Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse - To be fair, I suspect this game is better-known. Fun platformer with neat powerups.
    * Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose

Question: Is Kid Chameleon on the Genesis well-known? Because it's a fun action platformer that I've never seen mentioned anywhere, save from my friend who recommended it to me back in the day. Ditto for Vectorman.
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder6 View Post
    Question: Is Kid Chameleon on the Genesis well-known? Because it's a fun action platformer that I've never seen mentioned anywhere, save from my friend who recommended it to me back in the day. Ditto for Vectorman.
    I think it's not talked about much because it's so common, but it was included in every type of Sega Genesis compilation for ages so it should be well known. This is one of the few games I had when I was first given the console, it's pretty great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Spanky's Quest is easy to overlook, but lots of fun to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Utopia: The Creation of a Nation (SNES): It's sort of like Star Craft, where you build up defenses and send of troops to topple the enemy. Where it's different is that you can only see you base and the enemy will show up unexpected. You never see the enemy's home base, so basically you just try to send the largest group of attackers that you can send until the enemy is defeated.

Hezog Zwei (Genesis: It's probably well know on the classic gaming sites, but it is a hidden gem for those that were looking at more mainstream games. Like Utopia, you send out troops to destroy the enemy base. Unlike Utopia, you can also send out different types of troops to take small bases and defend them while you advance towards the enemy's main base. You use a mech to carry and drop off troops from your bases and you can even get in a battle with the enemy's mech when he's trying to drop off his troops. It's a Techno Soft game, so there is no shortage of awesome music.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Aerobiz. That game is fun. Warning: it's also hard AF.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Here are a few that I liked:

Shadowrun (SNES and Genesis) - different games despite having the same title)

Gemfire (SNES and Genesis) - real simple strategy game by KOEI- nice because you can knock off a game in a night or two - and unlike most KOEI strategy games you don't have to wade through menu after menu

Super Battleship (SNES and Genesis) - has a campaign mode which is fun but doesn't appeal on replays since you have figured out what to do already.

Warsong (Genesis) - first of the Langrisser games - has a really fun first battle where you can slug it out and win (with a lot of work and some luck) rather than running off like a scared kid (which is what the plotline wants you to do).

Shove it! (Genesis) - one of the sokoban games wherein you are a hapless warehouse worker doing his thing - shoving crates around witlessly.

Master of Monsters (Genesis) - really underrated (and unknown) fantasy rpg strategy game.

Dark Wizard (Sega CD) - the grand opus (IMHO) of rpg strategy games - has to be played to be appreciated.

Military Madness (Turbo 16) - great futuristic military strategy game. One of the few strategy games where traditional line tactics will not generally work - the AI rips them apart until they look like swiss cheese. The
    PS1 version (Nectaris) has this on it and a bunch more scenarios to play through - and doesn't go for all that much as such things go - so it is probably better to track this one down.

Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (SNES) - RPG that is almost terminally cute. But very short.

Super Rampart (SNES) - normally this type of game (entailing often frenetic action) is not my cup of tea but this one hooked me for some reason.

Super Famicom Wars (Super Famicom memory cart only) - early entry into what would become the Advance Wars games.

Equinox (SNES) - kinda odd action/puzzle rpg game with a 3/4 perspective (sequel to Solstice on NES)
    Last edited by Natty Bumppo; 04-18-2018 at 11:43 AM.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I always really enjoyed Shadow Blasters on the Genesis.

It's a platformer with multiple unique characters, lite RPG elements, and plays like a shmup. It also has a fantastic dark vibe to the music and the graphics.

There really are few games like it. Mystic Defender and Alisia Dragoon come to mind, but they are only similar on the surface. I never realized as a kid what a unique game Shadow Blasters was but over the years its really surprised me that I don't hear more people talk about it.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Can we call Joe & Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics "overlooked?" That's one of my favorites but don't know how well-known it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Can we call Joe & Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics "overlooked?" That's one of my favorites but don't know how well-known it is.
    I'd consider that fairly obscure. A good number of gamers know about Joe and Mac, but never played it or even knew it managed a sequel.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Nice topic.

I would say most PC Engine/Turbografx games (including CD and SuperGrafx) are good overlooked titles in general. There were a lot of great Shmups and Platformers on the system. If you didn't grow up with the system or play it much, outside of Bonk's Adventure, Blazing Lazers, and Keith Courage can you even name 10 top titles in less than 5 minutes?

Probably not..

Just a few great titles I'm thinking of:

Son Son 2
    Shockman
    Serei Senshi Spriggan
    New Adv. Island
    Dragon Egg
    Lords Of Thunder
    Soldier Blade
    Magical Chase
    Popful Mail
    Aoi Blink

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gandhara For This Useful Post:

Tanooki (05-09-2018)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sim Ant on the SNES. I had a ton of fun with this back in the day.
    And a lot of the Koei stuff on SNES/Genesis like Lord of Darkness, Liberty or Death etc. They take a while to get the hang of them, but once you have an idea of what you're doing they are pretty addictive.

TE Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Gonna have to go with Megaman NES and Bonk TG-16. Didn't see OP mention it so yeah, going with those 2.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryudo View Post
    Cybernator
    Metal Warriors.
    Knights of the Round
    Run Saber

I don't hear people talking about these much at all. Esp the first 3.
    I have to second this post, especially Metal Warriors, what a great game for its time! I replayed it about a year ago on a emulator and believe it or not, its still a awesome game and aged very very well.

Two more to add:
    Shadowrun [SNES]
    SoulBlazer [SNES]
    Last edited by Peonpiate; 05-02-2018 at 06:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post

- Super Nintendo
    - Genesis
    - TurboGrafx-16
    - Sega CD

What are some games you guys like that don't get a lot of attention?
    - Super Nintendo
    Skyblazer - although it seems expensive now, so maybe more known. Was rocking this game in the 90's.
    Pieces - Cool puzzle game.
    Rock n Roll Racing
    Hamelins Violin - Will need a translation.
    King of Demons - Cool game with a evil ghouls n ghosts vibe.

Really, the SNES is so collectible, son't think there's much that is unknown in the USA.

- Genesis
    Landstalker - Best game on console.
    Devil Hunter Yohko (AKA Momono Hunter Yohko) - Hard, but excellent music.
    Comix Zone - Was super popular, but no one ever talks about it now.
    Thunderforce IV
    Quackshot
    Wonder Boy in Monster World
    Warsong
    Rocket Knight Adventures - A MUST own.

- TurboGrafx-16
    Dragon's Trap - Maybe the best English Heuy, right up there with Ninja Spirit.
    Mr. Heli
    Soldier Blade
    Nexzr (not the summer carnival one)
    Dragon Egg - I second that one - Great game.

- Sega CD
    Android Assault
    Misadventures of Flink (seriously good game)
    Rise of the Dragon - Adult (mature, not hentai) point and click adventure.
    Heart of the Alien
    Dark Wizard
    Currently looking to trade for Magical Chase any version, and especially Dynastic Hero USA version. I have Samurai Shodown V Special MVS, lots of other MVS titles, and tons of games. Check out my profile over at http://gametz.com/user/greedostick.html if you are looking to get rid of one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I know I don't pop in as I used to, but the day after the new year I ended up having arrive in the mail a Core Grafx II as I decided to stop waiting on getting into NEC fun again. I had the intent to get a kit but never did. Instead I had one string of amazing luck after another buying up some key bulk sales on ebay of all places, and two sales alone netted me more than 1/2 of what I have/had(sold a few doubles/stinkers) now.

That one post about the PCE being overlooked got me on this as I saw a game I only had learned about, then got a lucky break on individually - Dragon Egg! which is truly fantastic, a very unique and fun title for the system I had never heard of but couldn't recommend enough if you like platformers (and torching stuff.) I could list stuff we know of due to the internet and because of the name, but it's not fair even if they were overlooked as they never got a TG16 copy (like 1943 Kai or Shinobi for example.) Special Criiminal Investigation is a great chase hq/cop arrest game that's an arcade port and well done. Paranoia is a really weirdly done but well made shooter for the system too. Tower of Druaga is a known, but it's unique on that system as it has an RPG mechanic and special items on every floor to get to boost you giving the game actual depth of play.

Overlooked SNES games aren't hard if you ignore how so many want to call a game an overlook gem today just to get attention at this point picking stuff at random it almost seems.

I'd throw something like these at that list: Dracula X (gets overlooked or insulted as a copy of the PCE CD), Disney's Aladdin, Final Fight 3, Indiana Jones and his Greatest Adventures, King of Dragons, Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse, Ogre Battle, Sid Meier's Civilization, Soul Blazer, Space Megaforce, Star Trek Starfleet Academy Bridge Simulator, Street Fighter Alpha 2, UN Squadron, Ys 3 Wanderers from Ys.

I know some of those some may question, but I list them as they get dumped on for an undeserved rep. Some like DracX command a lot of money but only with collectors needing to get it, not because it's good. Others like SFA2 and Ys3 get dumped on for load times or not looking anime enough despite being excellent on the system so they don't get much at all.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I picked up a game for SNES called Xardion last weekend for like $14. When I looked it up, people seem to say it's somewhat of a sleeper. It even mentions it being a good game and a sleeper and much overlooked in the DP rarity guide. Has anyone played this game and is it really good? I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it looks to be a platformer where you play a several different robot/mech type characters. Seems to have some form of RPG elements to it as well. Anyone try this game before?