Thread: Sword of mana

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Sword of mana

Anyone play this? Ive been working through it recently. Going the ninja master route for classes, about to fight the hydra. Any certain weapons i should just concentrate on? Should i worry about magic much? Not liking magic system in it, wish it was more like secret of mana.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I've played through it, a long time ago and started a new character somewhat recently and quit. Probably the first low point in the series before it really went down hill with Dawn of Mana on the PS2 and beyond. I know that I only used magic when had to and when leveling up chose melee focused stats. The problem with melee though is that enemies had an slight invincibility each time they were damaged, so if you did three three hit attack quickly, you could actually miss damaging the enemy with the second attack, so you forced to slightly delay the second attack in the combo so that all three attacks could hit, or just not do it fast enough to where you'll do a combo attack attack all. It's not exactly a bad game, the graphics and music were excellent and the gameplay itself was okay atleast, I've played worse for sure, but I'd rather go back and play Final Fantasy Adventure again(which I have,) than Sword of Mana.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Tried it for a bit until I inexplicably got stuck somewhere and couldn't figure out where to continue with the game. For a "remake" of FFAdventure, it sure doesn't seem anything like it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Tried it for a bit until I inexplicably got stuck somewhere and couldn't figure out where to continue with the game. For a "remake" of FFAdventure, it sure doesn't seem anything like it.
    This entirely. I've tried to play and like it 3x since it came out. It's not very fun, not at all like the solid original, easy to get tripped up over wonky design, and ultimately it plays as such that it's just boring. If you want a remastered version might as well get on your phone and download the 3D version of it as it sucks far less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

The weapon system is ok, the magic is pretty much an attempt to get away from the traditional spam approach and a further distancing from the borked magic in Secret of Mana. If I remember I went for Aesir, but I didn't really see much difference in practice. The game does expect you to grind and farm if you want to see the black versions of monsters and Cyclopes (and therefore aerolites). I'll try not to use story spoilers, but things seemed to pile up and feel more contrived up until the obligatory Angst of Mana sets in. I stopped playing since I really just wanted a fun little romp and wasn't finding it.

All I can really tell you is the RPG tradition of grinding does help a bit, otherwise use standoff tactics and try to get maximum distance out of your curatives. Specializing in a particular weapon and element helps, but don't ignore the other options; if I remember right being at least proficient (as in you knowing what it does as a player, not the character stat-wise) in each weapon type minimizes nasty surprises. Using tons of fruit helps a lot too, though getting the better bonuses can be a pain without an FAQ.

Now that I think about it, Angst of Mana would be a great name for a Mana fangame.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.