Thread: Raspberry Pi Operating system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Raspberry Pi Operating system

Hey everyone, wondering if there are other operating systems on Rasberry Pi that allow me to play console or classic PC games besides RetroPie? Any ideas would help, thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hackfly View Post
    Hey everyone, wondering if there are other operating systems on Rasberry Pi that allow me to play console or classic PC games besides RetroPie? Any ideas would help, thanks
    I've never personally used it, but recalbox is another one. https://www.recalbox.com/

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

RetroPie is not an operating system. The common OS for the Pi is "Raspbian" which is a moniker for the port of Debian for usage with a Pi. The Pi has an ARM CPU so, since both Linux and BSD support ARM chips, you can realistically run any kind of Linux or BSD you want on there. What you're looking for is options for emulators and such that run on Linux. Knowing this, you're free to look into all emulators in general, and your only concern is whether it runs on an ARM chip and what work is involved to get it set up and running. The same way I use a Wii U Pro controller on my desktop is probably the same approach with a Pi too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Ah okay, so RetroPie needs Raspbian to work? I've seen other operating systems that work for Pi besides Raspbian, but I'm not sure if they provide exactly the same functions as I hope for. Maybe better look for emulators that run on Linux as you said, but will the set up take lots of time? Or should I just make my life easier and go with RetroPie? It is just an experiment anyway.... The recalbox sounds interesting too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Since I was gifted a Pi 3 during the holidays, I'm looking for premade images using RetroPie.

I've found some fantastic ones, but something I do not understand is this: if most gameso n a system cannot be well emulated, why do they include them? That's wasted space for games that were not included that work flawlessly.

But so far, I've downloaded some 128GB images and they are awesome. One in particular is Virtualman 12GB 2.0 image. Very nice presentation.

What images do you guys use? Please don't post links to obtain them as they contain ROMS. But I would think the name would be ok, right?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!