Thread: NESmaker - Make NES Games, No Coding Required (Funding Goal Reached) [Kickstarter]

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Cool NESmaker - Make NES Games, No Coding Required (Funding Goal Reached) [Kickstarter]

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...oding-required

NESmaker is a software tool for creating brand new, hardware playable, cartridge based games for the Nintendo Entertainment System...without having to write a single line of code.

A few years ago, while developing our NES game engine in the archaic 6502 Assembly language, our team (made up of mostly non-programmers) realized that we needed a much more efficient method for rapid prototyping and testing. Instead of digging into the assembly every time we needed to make changes, we conceptualized wysiwyg tools for common tasks that would output, reorganize, and manipulate the underlying code; developing screens, building animations, altering AI...things like that. We recruited Josh Fallon, tool developer extraordinaire, to help realize these tools.

Before we knew it, we had inadvertently created NESmaker.

Currently, what can you do with NESmaker?
    • Design sprite graphics and color palettes that are automatically constrained to the NES limitations.
    • Create assets with properties and behaviors to give developing for the NES an object-oriented feel, similar to modern tools such as GameMaker and Unity.
    • Use a text editor to create text strings for NPCs or other narrative devices your game might have.
    • Create *special screens* like start screens, end screens, menus, maps, and more.
    • Customize AI
    • Set initialization parameters (items obtained, player strength/defense, starting screen, etc) for easy testing.
    • Use the base engine to create adventure games, basic RPGs, basic platformers, basic brawlers, and several other types of games.
    • Assemble with one click for testing in an emulator.
    • Flash to cartridge in one click for play on actual hardware.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...oding-required

Will this usher in a new golden age of NES software or a new age of NES shovelware? I'm guessing it'll be both!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Can't wait to get some GOOD games based on BTTF, Die Hard, Karate Kid, etc. !
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Can't wait to get some GOOD games based on BTTF, Die Hard, Karate Kid, etc. !
    LJN would rise from the ashes.....

I too wonder what kibd of games would get cranked out. Will this be similar to what the Unity engine on PC sees: quick throw together messes their authors will call "games"? I know this happened/happens a lot with tools like Clickteam Fusion/MultiMedia Factory and other "codeless" tools.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

My guess is that you would be somewhat limited to certain "basic" types of games...

Use the base engine to create adventure games, basic RPGs, basic platformers, basic brawlers, and several other types of games.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    My guess is that you would be somewhat limited to certain "basic" types of games...
    I think they mentioned in either the pitch or in the message board about either making templates for people to be able to create their own "base setup" or the existing bases can be tweaked to get what you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

There are different modules for different genres. And they can be combined to combine features from those different genres, is what I gathered from it...but you would still be locked into whatever the constraints of those modules were.

For example, in the comments, it's mentioned that this won't ever support 4 directional scrolling. That means it would have to be achieved like the original Legend of Zelda. A compromise that would work fine for most games of that nature. But it would also mean a game like Mario 3 would be near impossible to pull off. If I understand it correctly anyways.

At the end of the day though, it's never the tool that makes a game good or fun. I'm sure that there will be plenty of people who put a lot of time and effort into it and make some great games with this.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I watched their Kickstarter video. My first thought was that it'd be very limited in terms of allowing people to design truly innovative and unique games. I've had my share of platformers, shmups, and RPGs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

My next question would be: are there any strings attached? Can you sell the games you make with this tool free and clear? Or is there going to be a license fee or something of the sort?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    My next question would be: are there any strings attached? Can you sell the games you make with this tool free and clear? Or is there going to be a license fee or something of the sort?
    Here's the thing though, do you really think most people would buy anything you've sold regardless how good it is? These games will be seen as NES hacks and you might have the collector community purchasing them, but 99.999999% of everyone who plays them will be playing a rom that's uploaded by the time the fifth person has purchased the game.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    but 99.999999% of everyone who plays them will be playing a rom that's uploaded by the time the fifth person has purchased the game.
    Sounds like most emulators don't support the mapper they are using.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Here's the thing though, do you really think most people would buy anything you've sold regardless how good it is? These games will be seen as NES hacks and you might have the collector community purchasing them, but 99.999999% of everyone who plays them will be playing a rom that's uploaded by the time the fifth person has purchased the game.
    Considering that the developers of NesMaker are making their own game with the same tools (supposedly), they are hoping people buy their game "Mystic".

And I checked their updated FAQ-you are free to sell your creation.
    Last edited by YoshiM; 01-21-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Yeah, of course people will buy games made with this. People buy homebrew games all the time. The tool used to make it won't matter as long as the game looks compelling enough. It doesn't mean that the developers will be able to quit their day jobs, but if the games are good enough people will buy them.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Current standing - the project is (more than) funded with about 48 hours to go:
    • $213,924 pledged of the $32,000 goal by 2,096 backers.

Additional modules (which are pre-built genres) and functions added via extra funding goals which have already been achieved:
    • Adventure
    • Platformer
    • RPG
    • Brawler
    • Shooter
    • Music maker
    • Demo / getting-started game and assets
    • Memory mapping ($34,000 more to go until this goal)

Things are looking promising!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Will roms be dumped? Not necessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Sounds like most emulators don't support the mapper they are using.
    Well I'm sure they will in the future. What stinks is that the flash carts (PowerPak/Everdrive) may not.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK