Thread: Nintendo Labo- Nintendo's Cardboard Switch Accessory

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Nintendo Labo- Nintendo's Cardboard Switch Accessory

So, this thing got announced:

Thoughts? I'm not sure if it is brilliance or arrogance that Nintendo is expecting people to pay $20 for cardboard and rubber bands.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tupin For This Useful Post:

Koa Zo (01-22-2018)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

They don't have anything big this year, so they decided to release this novelty. Suckered people in with the Wii, suckered people in with 1-2 Switch, this is just the next gimmick in a long line that Nintendo knows will push a million or more sales and then it'll be thrown in a box and never touched again.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    They don't have anything big this year, so they decided to release this novelty. Suckered people in with the Wii, suckered people in with 1-2 Switch, this is just the next gimmick in a long line that Nintendo knows will push a million or more sales and then it'll be thrown in a box and never touched again.
    They have a few games coming out this year, and the Switch has been selling rather well for them. This is absolutely a novelty, but I really don't expect them to believe that the people who are interested in Metroid Prime 4 or even Yoshi Switch want this.

Also, it doesn't need to be thrown in a box. It is the box!

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

it'd be pretty neat if it was half the price they are talking about. its freakin cardboard after all

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    it'd be pretty neat if it was half the price they are talking about. its freakin cardboard after all
    I think it's super cool and so do my kids. Frankly, the cost and innovation is not in the cardboard, but in the software that allows for the cardboard to interact in remarkable ways with the Switch. In any event, I'm as surprised as anyone that Nintendo has done so well with the Switch this generation, but it's the first Nintendo product my kids have really cared about and it's something plenty of adults are buying as well and this product fits well with the huge popularity of building toys and kits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    They have a few games coming out this year, and the Switch has been selling rather well for them. This is absolutely a novelty, but I really don't expect them to believe that the people who are interested in Metroid Prime 4 or even Yoshi Switch want this.

Also, it doesn't need to be thrown in a box. It is the box!
    Yeah, the Switch is selling well and it's not a novelty by any means imo, that's why I didn't include naming it. It's just aside from their smaller titles which I'd say Kirby and Yoshi are, there's little else coming out this year aside from more ports, so I think that's where they came up with the idea of this. Something pushed out fairly quick that looks like it's really innovative.

Here's the thing though, development takes time, and if they've pushed something like this out as quickly as they're goign to, there's probably going to be little content other than being functional. If I may, I can even point out some past examples. Nintendogs, Tomodachi Life, etc. Nintendo advertised these titles as innovative experiences and while Nintendogs became a hit(for some reason) both Nintendogs and Tomodachi Life were released pretty quick after the initial announcement with next to no actual content. I really doubt that this is going to be any different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    I'm not sure if it is brilliance or arrogance that Nintendo is expecting people to pay $20 for cardboard and rubber bands.
    That was about the price point for Google Cardboard viewers when they first came out.

There is definitely an audience for this sort of thing.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Only Nintendo would make such a thing... lol
    and I admire them for it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

It's not a bad concept, though I find it amusing that Nintendo decided they hate trees. The other side of the coin for a critter like this is that they've found a whole new way of inflating scarcity. These things probably get damaged very easily, so you'll need replacement parts and/or kits. Cardboard can be sturdy when it's just being cardboard, but adding torque and pinch to the mix can be a fairly bad thing.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If I were a kid I would be absolutely stoked about this. I think it's awesome, the idea of parents and their kids building these things together.

I wonder if companies like LEGO could/would market their own peripheral kits for the Switch in the same vein?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WulfeLuer View Post
    I find it amusing that Nintendo decided they hate trees.
    For all I know Nintendo is sourcing these from giant sequoias, but in general, cardboard these days is made mostly from recycled material.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

It nice to see a fresh idea from Nintendo.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

So now that time has passed by, let's look back and let history be the judge: how much of a success was Labo for Nintendo Switch?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    So now that time has passed by, let's look back and let history be the judge: how much of a success was Labo for Nintendo Switch?
    Nintendo themselves said it underperformed. I honestly don't know what they were expecting. I'm seeing all three kits at $40 now, and very much doubt there will be another kit.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Another kit:

"Experience a new dimension with the latest #NintendoLabo kit! With more games & creations than any previous kit, Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit is a unique first VR experience kids & families can build themselves! Arriving 4/12, only on #NintendoSwitch.

(link: https://labo.nintendo.com/kits/vr-kit) labo.nintendo.com/kits/vr-kit )"

Source: https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/...60256263430144

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

You can either buy PSVR, Occulus Rift, or Vive and play many titles in VR, or buy a $40 - $80 piece of card board and play one game and three expansions. Amazing! Switch VR is the best VR.