Thread: Questions for the Famicom experts!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Questions for the Famicom experts!

I am considering buying a Famicom, but I have some questions I was hoping someone here could answer.

-Does the newer AV version of the Famicom support the enhanced audio in games such as Castlevania 3 (Akumajou Densetsu)? One of the primary reasons I want to get a Famicom is for the games that use extra sound chips. I heard the soundtrack for Castlevania 3 on the FC and was blown away at how much better it is than the US version. However, I definitely want AV outputs versus RF.

-Are there a lot of games on the FC with significantly better content than the US versions. I recently saw a comparison of Contra on both systems and was again blown away at how much was missing from the US version. I just don’t know how often this occurred.

-Does anyone know if Nintendo offers Famicom games for download on the 3DS Virtual Console? For example, I purchased the US version of Castlevania 3, but I have to think that Akumajou Densetsu is available for download. Maybe I would need a Japanese 3DS system? But even if I got one, I live in the US and maybe would not be able to download it. If this is not possibly, any Famicom emulators that are better than others (and easy to use)?

Thanks for any help!!

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stargate View Post
    I am considering buying a Famicom, but I have some questions I was hoping someone here could answer.

-Does the newer AV version of the Famicom support the enhanced audio in games such as Castlevania 3 (Akumajou Densetsu)? One of the primary reasons I want to get a Famicom is for the games that use extra sound chips. I heard the soundtrack for Castlevania 3 on the FC and was blown away at how much better it is than the US version. However, I definitely want AV outputs versus RF.
    All Famicoms have all sound channels. This includes the Sharp Twin FC.

-Are there a lot of games on the FC with significantly better content than the US versions. I recently saw a comparison of Contra on both systems and was again blown away at how much was missing from the US version. I just don’t know how often this occurred.
    There are many titles that have had alterations/censorship applied. FDS and chipped carts often exhibit audio that the NES versions didn't due to hardware limitations. Many games have had changes to content. Some of these changes are more minor, such as the sprite for the player in Raf World, or more significant, like a whole level being swapped out in 特救指令ソルブレイン(Tokkyuu Shirei Solbrain).

-Does anyone know if Nintendo offers Famicom games for download on the 3DS Virtual Console? For example, I purchased the US version of Castlevania 3, but I have to think that Akumajou Densetsu is available for download. Maybe I would need a Japanese 3DS system? But even if I got one, I live in the US and maybe would not be able to download it. If this is not possibly, any Famicom emulators that are better than others (and easy to use)?
    I'm not familiar with 3DS. I would guess that there are FC releases on there, but I can't tell you about whether you can access them. 3DS is region locked, so it's possible based on the following: I run a JP Wii U and despite having a foreign IP, Nintendo still connects me to the NoJ shop because of the firmware/region on my console. Maybe that's an indication on how a 3DS is treated when it goes online and connects to Nintendo servers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

1- All FC consoles run the same enhanced audio because they're wired for it. Yes Castlevania III does sound quite a bit different, better in quite a few ways.

2- Yes there are. There are also a lot we just were not given that had the cartoons, movies or source material released in the US still at a later date so they'd be fun to play too. Other games we did get were partial to fairly mutilated by NOA's disgusting overkill censorship policies that over sanitized out all sorts of stuff right down to simple crosses on a grave stone to more risque stuff like classic topless molded statues. Other games the PLAY is censored making it easier. SMB3 you as Raccoon Mario can take 1 hit to go Super, 1 hit to go mini. In Japan, 1 hit = mini instantly making that version harder.

3- Almost none. There are very very few that made it and on different versions. SMB2j from the FDS is the most common though throughout. But in some cases you'll get a one off like Bio MIracle Bokutte Opa (Konami baby platformer game) came it over here on one but not other VCs.

If you wish to try before you buy -- FCEUX is a great emulator between android, windows and more.

I really loathe to recommend it, but you could get a REtrofreak or that Retron5 box, they play Famicom games with the original audio plus in HD. That is if you don't mind emulation.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

They have that covered how ever I am going to make a recommendation on your "considering buying a famicom" part of your post.

If your looking at buying a system and you considering the AV I wouldn't make it your first choice.

if you looking at a system and comparing video quality for your first system just to get into the games for it I would get a Sharp Twin Famicom.
    It has composite out like the AV and its pretty good considering, the reason I am suggesting this is because for what ever reason right now twin famicoms and AV's are going for roughly the same price.

My first famicom was technically a Twin, and then a week later I bought a standard because when I went back to super potato after buying my twin there I found a mint bright white standard famicom so I bought it t just have
    Twins are a bog standard famicom and disk system tossed in a fancy case with color coordinated controllers and I like to think of it as pre moded for composite. Yes the belt in the disk system part is prone to breaking coming up on almost 40 years but your going to get that with a stand alone unit too. If it does its fixable, you can still play cartridge games until you fix it.
    I've had my twin famicom for about 10 years and I have not had any problems with it.

now if your just looking at getting a system to try it out and video quality isn't top on the list and its just about playing games then just get a standard famicom. They are cheap, I wouldn't pay more than $30 for one before shipping in fact...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/na0214-Plz-...kAAOSw6GJaL7aU

these guys have a bunch for a good deal right now, I think its system only but a genesis adapter will work no problem, I like these guys because for something like this they have a video of the functionality of each item.

I collect hardware variants so I come across cheap ones a lot and I probably have 4 or 5 standard famicom systems and then my twin. I bought a disk system too but I don't use it, it was only $1 complete plus shipping no one else wanted it, it just needed a belt.
    Last edited by Niku-Sama; 01-25-2018 at 01:21 AM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    If your looking at buying a system and you considering the AV I wouldn't make it your first choice...
    Counterpoint: The AV Famicom allows you to use basically any NES controller (including the more comfortable dogbone) and you're not stuck with hard-wired controllers with short cables. A simple internal mod (2 wires) lets you plug in US peripherals like the Zapper. The stock composite multi-out lets you use a common cable. And if you plan on using an Everdrive (OP didn't say one way or the other) then you don't even need to bother with a disk drive since the ED can run FDS games.

Also it's dead sexy and doesn't look ridiculous with a cart plugged in like the US toploader does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

if ever drive is even an option then why bother with buying a system?

if we are going full on disk system controllers wouldn't be an issue either way because the power cord and RCAs can be long enough to set it in front of you to swap sides.

generally if some one is going to buy a famicom system they aren't doing so to use bog standard NES controllers any way, might as well go all the way and use the microphone and expansion ports for other things

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    if ever drive is even an option then why bother with buying a system?

if we are going full on disk system controllers wouldn't be an issue either way because the power cord and RCAs can be long enough to set it in front of you to swap sides.

generally if some one is going to buy a famicom system they aren't doing so to use bog standard NES controllers any way, might as well go all the way and use the microphone and expansion ports for other things
    The whole point of an Everdrive is that you can use it with an original system. An AV Famicom (or an original FC, for that matter) with an Everdrive will play basically the entire NES/FC/FDS library, and you can always add an FDS later if you want to enjoy that satisfying click of popping in a disk.

The AVF came with dogbone controllers and any NES controller will work too (Max, Advantage, Zipper, etc). It still has the expansion port on the side for JP accessories. With the original FC or the Twin you're stuck with the hard-wired controllers. The Japanese light gun is expensive, while the US Zapper is dirt cheap. The microphone is literally the only advantage of the original Famicom, and I think there's maybe 5 games that use it.

I don't have anything against the original, but hard-wired controllers are a hassle for those of us that like having their system on a shelf under the TV, not right in front of them where it's more likely to get bumped during gameplay. A buddy of mine uses an original FC/FDS combo by itself with a small 20" CRT TV, and that's probably the most perfect use for it.
    Last edited by jperryss; 01-26-2018 at 08:15 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    with an Everdrive will play basically the entire NES/FC/FDS library, and you can always add an FDS later if you want to enjoy that satisfying click of popping in a disk.
    The FDS RAM adapter doubles the FC's system memory and provides an FM synth chip. Unless the Everdrive provides that additional memory, a lot of FDS games will probably crash. I'm pretty sure the Everdrive doesn't have an FM synth chip equipped either, but at least the absence of it shouldn't prevent playback of the game. There is a device that is a rewriteable medium that connects directly into the FDS RAM adapter, so it functions much like the Everdrive, but since it utilises the complete assortment of original hardware, the only compromise is you don't have to wait for disk I/O.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FoxNtd For This Useful Post:

Koa Zo (01-27-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    The whole point of an Everdrive is that you can use it with an original system. An AV Famicom (or an original FC, for that matter) with an Everdrive will play basically the entire NES/FC/FDS library, and you can always add an FDS later if you want to enjoy that satisfying click of popping in a disk.

The AVF came with dogbone controllers and any NES controller will work too (Max, Advantage, Zipper, etc). It still has the expansion port on the side for JP accessories. With the original FC or the Twin you're stuck with the hard-wired controllers. The Japanese light gun is expensive, while the US Zapper is dirt cheap. The microphone is literally the only advantage of the original Famicom, and I think there's maybe 5 games that use it.

I don't have anything against the original, but hard-wired controllers are a hassle for those of us that like having their system on a shelf under the TV, not right in front of them where it's more likely to get bumped during gameplay. A buddy of mine uses an original FC/FDS combo by itself with a small 20" CRT TV, and that's probably the most perfect use for it.
    that still defeats the purpose in my mind, getting the extra sound channels on a NES is not that hard to do

http://www.retrofixes.com/2014/05/op...ls-in-nes.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow so much great information here, thanks everyone!! I’m leaning towards an AV Famicom. Just looking for something simple to play Contra, Castlevania 3, and some Japanese exclusives.