Thread: My Atari 2600 spaceship game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Default My Atari 2600 spaceship game

It started as a simple question. I just wanted to know what the resolution of an Atari 2600 was. When I discovered that the answer was complicated because of how the hardware works, it got me curious. That simple question eventually led to me porting over one of my old QBasic games.

Play it online >>here<<

Enjoy!

Please let me know of any bugs or any other questions/comments you may have.
    Last edited by jb143; 09-07-2018 at 09:12 PM. Reason: updated url since my isp stopped offering free webhosting
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

It's pretty good, but sometimes my ship just flies in a straight line despite my inputs and gets "stuck" along one of the four outside "walls." At those time, I gotta press nothing for a few seconds and then input response returns to normal.

The AI is challenging - I like it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Hmmm... I can't say I've ever had that problem. Were you playing it on mobile by any chance? The javatari emulator seems a little less stable on mobile.

I'm able to beat the AI about 1/3 of the time. There is a bug I left in the AI code that makes it easier to beat and play somewhat more human like. Occasionally the ship shoots the wrong direction. Otherwise tried to make it challenging. The AI in target practice mode is nearly impossible to beat... you're probably better off playing a 2 player game by yourself. That mode was more of an afterthought.

All and all, I just made the game to see if I could do it. So don't expect anything amazing.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Yes it gets stuck in one direction until you hit the side, then you can shift.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I'll have to dig into the code, because I can't reproduce it. Have you noticed any patterns? Like only with certain power ups, or anything like that? I've also mainly tested it in Stella...I'm using javatari here for convenience so maybe that's the problem, I have noticed issues running it on mobile, like sounds playing a little late and a few graphics glitches but I have yet to see the problem you guys are having.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I was only playing it in Javatari using the Firefox 39 Web browser. I'm guessing it might be the Javatari emulator and not your own code that's at fault.