Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have You Ever Visited a Gaming / Computer Museum?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Have You Ever Visited a Gaming / Computer Museum?

If so, which ones and how were they? (Strong, NVM, etc.)

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I visited the NVM in Frisco, TX, in June of 2016, and it was fantastic. Here's the photo album.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greg26...57669684796172

Also been to the Silverball "Museum" Arcade in Asbury Park, NJ. Here's a photo album from May of 2012.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/goodro...57629905598558

Been to the Nintendo World Store in NYC many times. They usually have a small display there.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Only the Classic Arcade Museum at Funspot in NH. I used to go at least once every couple years but haven't been in awhile.

http://www.classicarcademuseum.org/

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I have also been to funspot in NH. It really brings you back to the time when arcades were all the rage.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Only little museums within conventions and stores like Nintendo World. The ones I've seen haven't held my interest much. It's not much different from if I just laid my own collection out on a bunch of tables and under glass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

The closest thing I've actually seen was years ago in my college library there was a classic video game "exhibit". Basically a handful of common consoles on display under glass topped tables with little info cards about them. Pretty sure it was some art students project.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I've been to FunSpot as well (surprise, surprise) and it's always a blast. I have yet to see much in the way of home gaming in museums; I've long been hoping to put together a museum of my own using the systems in my collection, along with the other vintage electronics I own. It would hopefully feature interactive exhibits in which people could actually play with the systems (with curator supervision, of course). I have yet to work out the logistics of everything, but am hoping to put something together in the future.
    -Adam

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Only little museums within conventions and stores like Nintendo World. The ones I've seen haven't held my interest much. It's not much different from if I just laid my own collection out on a bunch of tables and under glass.
    that's kind of how I feel, the list of consoles I don't own is shorter than the ones I own now I think.

I did visit the pinball museum in las vegas. it was interesting. most games are able to play from the very earliest to one offs and really intricate multi level ones

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've been to the National Videogame Museum up in Frisco, TX too. That was probably well over a year ago, I should probably go back up there some time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Pinball PA is a must visit for any aficionados passing near the Pittsburgh area. In fact, it is very near the Pittsburgh International Airport and I'd recommend it as a weekend getaway for any of you all who have the funds.
    They had been trying to achieve museum accreditation, which entailed an employee or docent providing a mandatory overview and history interpretation of the craft of arcade pinball and videogaming when you entered and payed your admission. They no longer do this, as I'm assuming they weren't able to be accredited for various reasons.
    The place is quite large and has a fantastic array of pinball, electromechanical games, laser disc, and videogames from the 70-00's.
    They've been there a few years now. I hope they can stay in business!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I visit the Computer History Museum (Mountain View, CA) and the Pacific Pinball Museum (Alameda, CA) a couple times a year.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 03-05-2018 at 06:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

My home isn't too far from the National Video Game Museum in Frisco. I've been waiting for time to visit it with my wife, but she don't play video games, so I might as well go by myself soon.

The Game Over stores have a little museum in the back. Most of the consoles and old computers on display are non-functioning units. I did get my boxed Commodore 64c Test Pilot setup from the store in Ft. Worth for $99.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 03-06-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    My home isn't too far from the National Video Game Museum in Frisco. I've been waiting for time to visit it with my wife, but she don't play video games, so I might as well go by myself soon.
    If you go, let us know!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Wish they had something like that in PR. 😾
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Wish they had something like that in PR. 😾
    You have found your destiny. You will create the first gaming museum on the island!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post

The Game Over stores have a little museum in the back. Most of the consoles and old computers on display are non-functioning units. I did get my boxed Commodore 64c Test Pilot setup from the store in Ft. Worth for $99.
    Wait a second... there's a Game Over store in Fort Worth? I've been to the one in Arlington (it's the closest to me) and the one up in Addison but I was unaware there were others in the area. Looking it up on Google Maps, turns out my best friend just recently moved down the street from that location! Looks like I have a new quest for my day off tomorrow!

If you're feeling a bit more adventurous, head up into Denton. There's a store called Freaks and Geeks (built into a converted old house, not easy to spot), a GameXchange, and there's a CGX store (I believe it's the only one left, all the other locations are gone and their stock all ended up at this single store) at the west end of the Golden Triangle Mall. There's also a really large Movie Trading Company store in the vicinity of the mall, on the east side. On the way to and/or from Denton (if you're in the Fort Worth area) you can also hit Galactic Gamez in Keller and Found It! Electronics and Video Games in Watauga, a few miles away. And maybe stop over in Hurst at the Quarter Lounge Arcade.

Internet Ent Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MadMikeJ83
    Steam
    mad-miker83

I visited the one in Bozeman MT in 1997. Felt sort of weird seeing a Tandy 1000 at the Museum only to come home and write BASIC games on one because that's all my scraggly 14 year old arse could afford at the time. Bought a computer collection book that MIGHT still be at my childhood home, though I think it was full of some misinformation.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mike For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (03-15-2018)

Insert Coin (Level 0) danny_galaga's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I went to the Game On exhibition, curated by the Barbican Museum when it came to my city (Brisbane Australia). Went maybe a dozen times. I was in heaven! Even had a running competition with their curator on the Berzerk machine. He won out in the end but our scores went back and forth a bit (",) First time I had seen/played Steel Battalion on xbox and Tempest 2000 on Jaguar. A few years later I bought them both!

Then the Computerspiel Museum in Berlin with my cousin. We really enjoyed ourselves there although I have heard some people complain that too many machines are not original or something. Didn't bother us. Their Computer Space machine wasn't working.

Then last year Funspot NH. Always wanted to go. Spent maybe 8 hours there. But maybe half way through something hit me hard hard. Loneliness. You really need to be there with some friends and I was travelling alone. Even so I had travelled quite a bit to have a look so I stayed! Their Computer Space machine was working!
    Last edited by danny_galaga; 04-08-2018 at 07:03 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to danny_galaga For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (03-29-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have also been to see Game On – both the original and the "2.0" version, in fact. And I've seen the little exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC. That last one was a few years ago; I wonder if they've made many improvements to it since then? It was a neat idea but rather poorly executed; their means of locking out the Playstation menu was to put a big ol' glob of glue on the PS button.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I wish. They don't have that kind of stuff here in TN. Frisco, TX and the NVM is 620 miles from my house, a 688 mile drive. The 12 dollar ticket price looks very reasonable, but the travel costs in money and ESPECIALLY time are just fucking ridiculous, and you're fucked twice because you have to return all over again.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.