Thread: Game Informer Interview - Video Game History, Retro Gaming

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Game Informer Interview - Video Game History, Retro Gaming

Hey everyone, I was interviewed by Game Informer, and we had a great talk. Check it out here:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...snes-book.aspx

Thanks for reading!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I read the whole article. Is it supposed to show up at Barnes and Nobles?

Another question I have... in the years that I've been researching video games, the one thing I can never seem to find is production totals. It seems these numbers are either very elusive or well-guarded, for what purposes I don't know. It's not like Nintendo's stock will crash if they reveal how many copies of Super Metroid made it to store shelves. The only things I've seen is tidbits in magazines about "this game sold X copies in its first week" or whatever. But that doesn't tell you how many games were produced in its lifespan.

Going off of that, does the book offer any details about variants, whether it's PCB revisions or just box variants? I know Majesco re-released a lot of SNES games in 1997. Some information on stuff like that would be nice. Are there differences between A Link to the Past and the one that says "Million Seller" on it, besides just the box and cart label? Those are things I'd like to know.

Lastly, do you have any firm release dates in your book? Most of the information I see online is spotty at best. I see release dates in Game Informer for a lot of games and I usually go off of that when I am researching games.

Are you covering canceled titles as well? Foreign titles? Variantions between foreign and domestic releases? I found a website called The Cutting Room Floor that talks about stuff like that. lots of interesting stuff.

For someone who doesn't have a ton of time to play every game on the SNES, let alone the money, these days I take more pleasure in just learning about them than playing them. But often times, the information is pretty sparse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I read the whole article. Is it supposed to show up at Barnes and Nobles?

Another question I have... in the years that I've been researching video games, the one thing I can never seem to find is production totals. It seems these numbers are either very elusive or well-guarded, for what purposes I don't know. It's not like Nintendo's stock will crash if they reveal how many copies of Super Metroid made it to store shelves. The only things I've seen is tidbits in magazines about "this game sold X copies in its first week" or whatever. But that doesn't tell you how many games were produced in its lifespan.

Going off of that, does the book offer any details about variants, whether it's PCB revisions or just box variants? I know Majesco re-released a lot of SNES games in 1997. Some information on stuff like that would be nice. Are there differences between A Link to the Past and the one that says "Million Seller" on it, besides just the box and cart label? Those are things I'd like to know.

Lastly, do you have any firm release dates in your book? Most of the information I see online is spotty at best. I see release dates in Game Informer for a lot of games and I usually go off of that when I am researching games.

Are you covering canceled titles as well? Foreign titles? Variantions between foreign and domestic releases? I found a website called The Cutting Room Floor that talks about stuff like that. lots of interesting stuff.

For someone who doesn't have a ton of time to play every game on the SNES, let alone the money, these days I take more pleasure in just learning about them than playing them. But often times, the information is pretty sparse.
    Thanks for your questions. Yes, it should be available at B&N. My previous book from Schiffer was available in brick and mortar stores, as well as direct from me:

http://www.brettweisswords.com/p/the...deo-games.html

No production totals info, canceled games or variants, but I do go into differences between domestic and foreign releases for some of the games. The book will cover every domestic release from A to M (vol. 2 will cover N to Z).

The book is listed on Amazon as a July 28 release, but I've got my fingers cross for late spring. If you pre-order direct, you get some early bonuses. You can pre-order and get more info here:

http://www.brettweisswords.com/p/the...s-vol-1-m.html

Volume 1 of the SNES Omnibus is a fun and informative look at all the original Super Nintendo games released in the U.S. starting with the letters A through M. More than 350 games are featured, including such iconic titles as Chrono Trigger, Contra III: The Alien Wars, Donkey Kong Country, EarthBound, F-Zero, Final Fantasy II and III, Gradius III, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Each game, whether obscure or mainstream, is covered in exhaustive detail. In addition to thorough gameplay descriptions, the book includes reviews, fun facts, historical data, quotes from vintage magazines, and, best of all, nostalgic stories about many of the games from programmers, authors, convention exhibitors, video game store owners, YouTube celebs, and other industry insiders. The book also features more than 2,000 full-color images, including box art, cartridges, screenshots, and vintage ads.