Thread: NES Hogans Alley - I suck at this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default NES Hogans Alley - I suck at this.

Sorting through my collection just a little while ago, but what the hell I'll try a few rounds of Hogans Alley on NES. I'll say this much, I would've been one horrible police officer, not only did I manage to kill many innocent bystanders but most of the gangsters escaped because my reactions were so slow! :P

Apparently at 50 years old my reflexes are already dead lol.
    I swear I recall being pretty damn good back in the day
    Still, sure brought back some memories and fun....I needed this after turning 50 this year

Before anyone points it out - YES the color and saturation are way off but this is my ONLY CRT TV to play gun games on, a 13' combo DVD / TV I found in our electronics bin last week, I thought SCORE! No remote but I have several programmable / universal remotes and though I got a couple to work with this it only does basic functions like channel and volume up/down Might have to break down and try to track down a compatible original remote.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28056795_10156362017763109_1159697915307266105_n.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	10498
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

thats cool. the only light gun game I played was Duck Hunt. might have to give Hogans Alley a try some day.

I wonder if anyone is developing a clone console that lets one use an LCD/LED TV for light gun games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    thats cool. the only light gun game I played was Duck Hunt. might have to give Hogans Alley a try some day.

I wonder if anyone is developing a clone console that lets one use an LCD/LED TV for light gun games
    I don't think so much because it is not really worth the effort and development in today's market to support these old light gun games, think about the Chinese clones made as cheap as possible just to be barely good enough to play old 8 and 16bit games. There have been some attempts to a degree but nothing too mainstream and really if you think about gun and shooting games we got the original Nintendo Wii which got around the lack of CRT TV's by using a separate sensor bar to read wireless signals. So outside perhaps some homebrew hacks or modding or niche product with CRT's becoming less and less obtainable I just do not see anyone really making too much of an effort sadly so if I want to play old light gun games I need a CRT like this.

Anyway all that aside it really was quite fun and gave me nostalgic feels, I really need to dive into my collection more and get some play time in instead of just talking about retro games lol, I feel it really does help keep me young!
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

There is Aimtrack, which works similarly to a Wii remote only much more accurately. Moddled after a GunCon and there's even even a recoil kit available. People have gotten them to work with RetroPi so you could build clone console if you wanted too. They're not exactly cheap though.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

wonder at what point CRTs are gonna actually be worth something. I can still find em for free on Craigslist but occassionally someone beats me to the punch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I doubt lightgun games in particular will ever inflate the cost of CRTs but retro gaming in general has a bit. Especially for nicer models, Trinitrons and the like. But even so, I could get free ones all day long off craigslist if I wanted, they are just always either bigger or smaller than I need. My problem is that I'm looking for a particular size with at least S-video and preferably component but just can't find any in the area.

Sony PVM/BVM CRTs on the other hand seem to have gone way up in the past 10 years or so. Likely fueled by their reputation in the retro-gaming community. Usually when I see one for sale there's an NES hooked to the thing.

Back to the topic though, I had a similar experience when I last played Hogans Alley a few months ago...shooting the bystanders while the bad guys escape. So I got bored with it and went on to something else.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...