Thread: what's the proper term for the kind of CD case games like FF7 come in?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default what's the proper term for the kind of CD case games like FF7 come in?

I recently got Dragon Warrior VII for the PS1. It's a two-disc game, so it comes in a case similar to FF7's or Metal Gear Solid's.

The discs are fine but the case is kinda dingy and since I'm something of a clean freak, I want to replace it. Problem is, I don't have any games I'm willing to sacrifice. I have a couple of spare cases of this style except they all hold six discs, and giving one of those to a 2-disc game feels like overkill. But when I search for similar cases online all I find is the standard jewel-case sized two-CD cases.

Is my only option really to just get some ultra-common 2-disc game and cannibalize it?
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 02-28-2018 at 02:25 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I could have sworn I used to be able to take pieces off of a regular jewel case and swap them with the FFVII style cases. Maybe it was just the front or back parts of a regular jewel case. I can't remember and I'm not around any cd cases to check it out right now. Like you said, you could always go find a copy of Gran Turismo or something that has a nice case.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I could have sworn I used to be able to take pieces off of a regular jewel case and swap them with the FFVII style cases. Maybe it was just the front or back parts of a regular jewel case. I can't remember and I'm not around any cd cases to check it out right now. Like you said, you could always go find a copy of Gran Turismo or something that has a nice case.
    Correct. In the 90s many 2-4 disc collections (music CDs and games) came in a case that was just two standard jewel case backs and one gray plastic bridge to connect them to.

http://www.genesysdtp.com/4cdjcfat.htm

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

No idea if they have a proper name, but I've always just called them double jewel cases. Those PS1 cases are unique enough that you probably would have to just take from another game if you wanted to replace the entire thing and have it accurate to the original. But I assume the main issue is with the clear outer trays, which can be replaced easily.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

we called them double stack or double stuffed but that may have just been a term my friends and I used.

instead of cannibalizing good stuff you own why don't you hit up a thrift and find some good cases of crap music.
    a goodwill outlet / as-is store would be great for this

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

If you're referring to the book-style cases used for holding the two discs and the manual, I think they're generally known as 'quad jewel cases' or 'four disc jewel cases', since the middle divider can be used to hold two discs. Here is an example listing from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/mediaxpo-10cd.../dp/B002ROGIT4

If having the spindles for the two inner discs bugs you, you can probably swap parts between the existing cases and those, methinks.
    -Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Check Amazon too.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I'm so glad you guys mentioned that you can take pieces off of regular jewel cases. I actually had a bunch of those sitting around and I tested out what I was told here, and the middle bridge portion was clean anyway so after some replacing, I now have a DW7 in a new-looking double-CD case!

Thanks again!