Thread: New "2D" FPS from 3D Realms, Ion Maiden

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default New "2D" FPS from 3D Realms, Ion Maiden

There's a new sprite-based FPS running on the classic Build engine. It's made by 3-D Realms, and its name is Ion Maiden.

Steam {Linux, Windows} ($20): http://store.steampowered.com/app/562860/Ion_Maiden/
    Last edited by Nz17; 03-09-2018 at 01:31 PM. Reason: replaced the wrong video with the intended video

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Will it run on a classic Win98 PC?

That's one place consoles have an advantage... new games for old hardware. I doubt anyone these days will intentionally program a DOS or Win9x game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Will it run on a classic Win98 PC?
    Looks like it uses a modified version of the engine to run on modern operating systems.

I doubt anyone these days will intentionally program a DOS or Win9x game.
    http://www.doshaven.eu/

At least for DOS there's Dosbox.
    Last edited by jb143; 03-07-2018 at 01:45 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Thanks for that DOS Haven link, jb143!

As for Windows, I have had much success running old 16-bit and 32-bit Windows programs using WINE. It's not 100% for all things, but every year it gets closer and faster!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

(Keep in mind I was talking about playing a new-ish game on retro hardware, not old games on new hardware)

Hopefully when virtual machines get better (and more user-friendly) that'll launch a sort of Win9x revival. Even some DOS games I preferred to play in 9x since DOS won't recognize my microsoft sidewinder (yes, its one of the older gameport ones, not a USB one).

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

How does that video relate to the FPS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    How does that video relate to the FPS?
    lol, I was wondering when someone was going to say something about that video.
    I'm guessing he had the wrong URL in his clipboard when he pasted into the post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

(Keep in mind I was talking about playing a new-ish game on retro hardware, not old games on new hardware)
    The link I posted was for new DOS games.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

That line was meant for Nz17. From his post I wasn't sure if he had misread me (since he started suggesting virtual machines) or if he was agreeing with me and saying he also one day hopes win98 retro-development becomes a thing.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I posted the wrong video in the first post. This is what I meant to share:

That line was meant for Nz17. From his post I wasn't sure if he had misread me (since he started suggesting virtual machines) or if he was agreeing with me and saying he also one day hopes win98 retro-development becomes a thing.
    I think the words "old" and "new" got crossed in my mind, and I was thinking about running old games on new hardware and was suggesting WINE as Microsoft has has dropped "legacy support" from modern Windows for 16-bit and some 32-bit programs.

As for new developments, I have never "got" why people stop developing for old hardware and OS'es. Sure, on an intellectual level I get it (you follow the crowds to try to maximize your profits) but in my mind, you don't abandon old things just because they are old, whether you are the players, the developers, or the publishers. I didn't "get" that during the jump from 8-bit to 16-bit, and I have never got it whenever a new console transition happens.
    Last edited by Nz17; 03-09-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So, are any of the people from the old 3D Realms involved in this, or is this just another case of whoever ended up with the trademarks trying to make an extra buck?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    So, are any of the people from the old 3D Realms involved in this, or is this just another case of whoever ended up with the trademarks trying to make an extra buck?

From here...
    The quality of the game isn’t a massive surprise once you dig into who Voidpoint are. The team mostly consists of long-time Duke Nukem 3D mappers and modders, as well as some of the development crew from EDuke32, a popular source-port that brings hardware rendering, improved controls and a lot of bug-fixes to the occasionally wonky old Build engine.