Thread: Help me choose a couple games for my daughter

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Default Help me choose a couple games for my daughter

I'll preface this by saying that I haven't really tried very hard to explore options that will work. I'm just going straight to you all because I know I'll get good ideas...

So I'm playing Zelda BotW and my son (11) and daughter (8) have been watching. The boy plays his own game and is just as into it as I am. My daughter desperately wants to play, and has tried, but she doesn't like the combat at all. She loves the exploration, finding ingredients, cooking, and talking to people. Maybe the hunting.

Awhile ago I set her up with Harvest Moon on GBC (a game I've never played) and she didn't really take to it. We tried Animal Crossing (Wide World?) on DS and after having fun doing a few things in that, she doesn't know what to do next. Again, a game I haven't played myself. An obvious answer is for me to get more involved to be able to guide her more, but maybe there's a game where it would be fun for both of us to make that happen?

As for why she doesn't like doesn't like Zelda combat? Well, first off I'm okay with it, not that big of deal. I think she doesn't like to 'die' in that game. However, she'll play Minecraft or Roblox and happily walk to her death time and time again. So that's frustrating, but I also get it... she gets really emotionally invested in characters, and she's seen enough of the cutscenes that she's invested in Link. To put it in perspective, she's only seen 3 or 4 movies all the way through, including the original Grinch (her favorite), and there were tears during all of them.

So, any games like Zelda BotW, but without fighting? Honestly, when I put it like that, I think BotW could have an Explorer's Mode where there just aren't any monsters and it would still be a nice game.

p.s. I know this or similar thread must have been done before, but if its all the same, I'd like to hear from you, now. (briefly, if you like, and point me to more if you've written it before)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

what system(s)?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    what system(s)?
    Good question. I meant to include that. Any portable Nintendo system would be ideal. I do also have a PSP I could get out. Otherwise, currently hooked up systems include SNES, PS3, WiiU, and Switch.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Did Dragon Quest Builders release in the west on the Switch? If so, then that. The concept is like Minecraft, but you actually have a goal rather than a lot of nothing.

Also Diablo 3 on the easiest difficulty. Not sure when it's coming out on the Switch but it'll be easy enough for her to play and if it's anything like any of the other versions, it has four player co op on the same console. You could always get the Reaper of Souls version on the PS3 or just wait for the Switch version which is more than likely a complete release.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Hmm. Maybe an Atelier game, they're craft-heavy and lean toward the silly side and truth be told, a lot of them are pretty girly. But there's also stuff like a short order cook that kills stuff with a skillet, which is awesome. DQ builders is also a good one from what I've heard, maybe even on of the main-line DQs, there's a ton of them on the DS line. SNES still has tons of stuff I'd let a kid try, some obvious (Mario World, Yoshi's Island, OG Mario Kart, the ultimate entry RPG known as Super Mario RPG), the Disney licensed games are pretty great too (Aladdin is a personal favorite) and heck maybe even the crazy ride that is Robotrek.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I would suggest some adventure games, not that I can really suggest any specifically for those consoles you've listed. I would also suggest A Link to the Past as the combat might be different compared to the modern Zelda games. I still need to play through that Zelda game. Or just Link's Awakening for Gameboy.

I'm a bit surprised she hasn't watched many movies at her age, even the various animated Disney movies that every kid usually watches at some point.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Another game I'm only listing because what you stated, a recommendation of a game like BotW but without combat. I wouldn't really recommend it because the puzzles might be too much for her despite the simplicity, but there's Rime(also Ico.) It's not open world though, it's openish. So more closely resembles past Zelda titles than BotW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrQINQ-Jxmo

There's also Just Cause 2, it's a massive open world. Unless you go into one of the bases or you attack someone, no one attacks you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bbDvanTaiI

The Batman Arkham games. The combat is so simplistic that as long as you can press triangle when someone attacks you and then press square otherwise, you'll finish most encounters. Arkham City and Origins are open world.

Not similar in style to BotW, but some she might be able to get into. Super Mario Maker. She can play the stages or just make her own. Kirby's Epic Yarn. I haven't played it, but one thing I know is that you're unable to die, so a game that she can progress through the levels without having to worry about it being difficult.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

That's a tough one. There are a lot of exploration-focused games with little to no combat, like games that are sometimes referred to as "walking simulators", but they're almost all targeted at adults and have themes and such that aren't really child-appropriate.

As for Zelda without combat, Marvelous for Super Famicom is almost literally that. But the only way to play that in English is with a fan patch. And having never played through it with the fan patch, I can't vouch if the language is clean or anything like that. The game does get a little cheeky, like how you can poke the female camp counselor's chest at the beginning of the game.

I almost wonder if it's worth trying a different Harvest Moon game. The GBC game isn't the best representation of the series and is honestly kind of bland. There're no bachelors/bachelorettes to marry, and the town is just a menu. There's not much to do in that one but farm and farm some more. Later Harvest Moon games have way more exploration and character interaction, not to mention more types of crops and animals and all sorts of stuff.

There's also Shepherd's Crossing for something similar to Harvest Moon but a bit different. It's a bit more realistic and in-depth, though it still has plenty of its own whimsy.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Bomberman GB. I've been playing that lately. easy enough for a young kid to figure out and fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you ever tried Lost in Blue for the DS? It’s been a long time since I played it. If memory serves you’re stranded on an island and have to find a way off of it.

You also have to survive by finding different foods and making recipes out of them, etc. I had a lot of fun with it and so did a lot of my friends.
    Formerly letsallgameon

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Lego games seem to fit your description pretty well. Lots of exploration/assembly with minimal combat. How much your daughter would like them is probably proportionate to how much she likes the license.