Thread: Xenogears on the Original Console

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Default Xenogears on the Original Console

I bought Xenogears a year or so ago, and I've been meaning to play it, but the big reason I've been holding back is that I've caught references to issues where the game locks up if it's being run on anything but an actual PS1 and I only have a couple of PS2s. First, I would like to know if there is any truth to these reports and if there is any solution besides either modding or getting a working PS1. Second, are there any other PS1 games that have this issue?
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't 100% take this post as gospel because I haven't played through those big RPGs on a PS2, but I hear that it is mostly based on your PS2 settings. If you go into the settings and turn off the "helpful" settings for PS1 playback like texture smoothing, most glitches should be worked out. Someone who has actually played all the way through might be able to comment.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I think Bazoo might be right. I don't remember if I've played Xenogears on the PS2 or not, but I can tell you that smoothing and fast loading do mess up some games. For example. Grandia when using the smoothing option will cause bug effects when clouds go over the top of the screen in certain areas, it'll make grey rectangles go across the top of the screen instead.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WulfeLuer View Post
    I bought Xenogears a year or so ago, and I've been meaning to play it, but the big reason I've been holding back is that I've caught references to issues where the game locks up if it's being run on anything but an actual PS1 and I only have a couple of PS2s. First, I would like to know if there is any truth to these reports and if there is any solution besides either modding or getting a working PS1. Second, are there any other PS1 games that have this issue?
    The last time I played Xenogears I did it on a PS2 Slim 90001 (the last revision, with internal power supply) with smoothing OFF and fast disc OFF ... played it on a CRT with component video cable and had no problem finishing the game.

Great RPG. And by the way, there will be a new blu ray release of the Xenogears Soundtrack next month on Japan, there is an open pre-order on the Square Enix website. One of my favorite soundtracks.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to eskobar For This Useful Post:

WulfeLuer (03-14-2018)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Do PS1 games play on a PS3 just the same as they do on a PS2? Might be another option.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I also have played on a SCPH90000-series slim PS2 through Xenogears start to finish without a problem. I may have used the faster disc reading option as well; I usually select it for PS games unless I simply forget.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Used PS1's can be had for as little as twenty bucks, even modchipped, so if it turns out a ps1 is necessary you're not out much.

That said in my experience a PS2 is usually just as good if you leave the enhancements off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I think Bazoo might be right. I don't remember if I've played Xenogears on the PS2 or not, but I can tell you that smoothing and fast loading do mess up some games. For example. Grandia when using the smoothing option will cause bug effects when clouds go over the top of the screen in certain areas, it'll make grey rectangles go across the top of the screen instead.
    That would explain some things, I knew something was wrong when I tried to play Grandia and weird stuff was showing up.

Anyway, thanks for the responses everyone; if nothing else I feel a bit better about trying this monster out soon. I don't remember where exactly I came across the bug reference, and the way it was worded left some of the context unclear ('anything but an actual PS1' was exactly or near-exactly how it was phrased) as to whether it was an issue with PC-based emulators or just emulation in general (including PS2's backwards functionality). It was a bit odd that this game was the only one I heard of that would lock up as opposed to just graphical errors.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Do PS1 games play on a PS3 just the same as they do on a PS2? Might be another option.
    Ps2 uses BC hardware. PS3 (all PS3's, not just ones BC with PS2) uses a software emulator for PSX. I prefer the PS2 implementation, personally, but YMMV. Neither is 100% perfect.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlastProcessing402 For This Useful Post:

Cornelius (03-14-2018), InsaneDavid (03-14-2018), WulfeLuer (03-14-2018)