Thread: Star Ocean: Til The End of Time question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Default Star Ocean: Til The End of Time question

So I was going through old fleabay looking for replacements for games I had to sell off a few months back. I decided to go after Star Ocean: Til the End of Time since it's one I never got around to trying out. That's when I noticed that for some reason red label/Greatest Hits versions were listed at double or more the prices for black label ones. The descriptions were identical or near identical, mostly generic 'stock' ones for the game itself, and both version were plentiful when I was looking.

Does anybody know why red labels are fetching that much more? Was there some sort of extra goodies or something?
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I see some new copies of the red label that have a higher asking price. I checked completed listings and both version seem to sell for $8-15, with the slipcover version being on the higher end of that. Great game by the way. If I were in the market for that game, I'd pay those prices. I've owned it since it was new and remember it having it's own trophy/achievement system before 360/PS3 had come out.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I can only think of two possibilities:

1) People would rather have a complete copy than an incomplete one. The original release has to have the outer cardboard box to be complete, and I imagine a ton of people threw those away. I assume it's a lot easier to get a complete Greatest Hits copy.

2) People are confusing the US releases with the Japanese original and Director's Cut. The original Japanese release is known for being buggy (though it's not remotely as bad as people who have never even played it make it out to be). The later-released Director's Cut fixed the bugs (which is a bummer in some ways, since some were beneficial and fun to toy with) and added a decent amount of new/changed content (two more playable characters, new dungeons, rebalanced moves, the bonus for canceling combos, etc.). The game wasn't localized until after the Director's Cut was out in Japan, so every US version of the game is the Director's Cut. The original Japanese release remains Japan-only. But some may mistakenly assume the US releases mirror the Japanese releases and are thus avoiding the original release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I see some new copies of the red label that have a higher asking price. I checked completed listings and both version seem to sell for $8-15, with the slipcover version being on the higher end of that. Great game by the way. If I were in the market for that game, I'd pay those prices. I've owned it since it was new and remember it having it's own trophy/achievement system before 360/PS3 had come out.
    I already snagged one (black label, $11 or so shipped), it was only a matter of time.

I'm still not sure if I was misreading it, and I definitely should have checked completed listings. It might have been an artifact of the search process, but I kept finding black labels for $7-$15 BIN and used reds for twice that in the first few pages. That's still $14-$30, which is well within my acceptable "it's an RPG that's on PS2 or PS3, just buy the thing" parameters, it was just enough of an oddity for me to ask about.

As Aussie pointed out, I should have also considered that the original black label might be packed in a box (like Dragon Quest VIII) that people threw out.

I know a lot of my questions are lolrandom; it just that something strikes me and I can't ask any IRL friends about them since even the other RPG fans can't spend more than 20 game hours or a week and a half real time before dropping a game going to the next so I have to bug the forum instead.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WulfeLuer View Post
    I know a lot of my questions are lolrandom; it just that something strikes me and I can't ask any IRL friends about them since even the other RPG fans can't spend more than 20 game hours or a week and a half real time before dropping a game going to the next so I have to bug the forum instead.
    Discussing things is what discussion forums are for, dude. I see nothing wrong with questions of this calibre, besides its actually interesting trivia to speculate about.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, I'll ditto that. Nothing wrong at all with random questions. And for me at least, I'll take any opportunity to talk Star Ocean, haha.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

This belongs in the "Classic Gaming" category... DP needs to update its category names, when I joined in 2008 (10 years ago!) they called "Modern Gaming" from PS2 to present, and yet they haven't changed a thing.

If PS2 is "Modern Gaming" now, then Sega Genesis / SNES were "Modern Gaming" back in 2008. PS2 is turning 18 this year. In 2008, Sega Genesis and SNES were around 18.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The board as a whole gets too little activity for quibbling over what's classic/modern to really be warranted, in my opinion.

I'd also say there's a much bigger difference between PS2 and Genesis games than there is, say, between PS4 and PS2 games. Additionally, this game was re-released just a year ago as a PS2 Classic on PS4 with upscaled graphics, trophies, etc., so there is a modern release of it.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I honestly don't care much, but if I did I would think it would be far more instructive to not use nebulous terms like "classic" and "modern" in the first place--just have one be "anything before the PS2" and the other be "anything during and after the PS2" but then only soft-enforce it (IE don't get hung up if somebody makes a post about the Dreamcast in Modern Gaming since really who the eff cares).