Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Hyperkin Uses the Emulator, Higan, in Its NES-capable Hardware

While browsing the Web site for Higan, I found this:

Commercial Licenses Issued
    Hyperkin is the sole licensee of higan at this time. No other company holds a paid license at this time.
    So if you've ever wondered why the Hyperkin devices handled NES, SNES, GB, GBC, and GBA games the way they do, this is your answer.

...It's too bad, though: Higan also supports the WonderSwan and the WonderSwan Color but there's nothing which I know of that's being sold utilizing that capability. Some hardware, especially an officially licensed one, loaded with WonderSwan games would be much more interesting to me than yet another Nintendo or SEGA inspired "console." Granted, Nintendo and SEGA are more marketable than WonderSwan, but while I've seen many of those, any new WonderSwan hardware would be much more rare.

Source: https://byuu.org/emulation/higan/licensing/

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Hyperkin is garbage. I will never waste my money on any of their products again.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I haven't heard a lot of good things about Hyperkin. Or any "clone" consoles, really. I mean, some of them have some cool features, but all of them seem to have some gotchas. These are things like "you can't use your own games," or "doesn't work with all games," or "the visuals are fine, but the sound is not," or "the construction feels too light or cheap," or "the controllers are awful," or even "the plastic smells bad."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I don't know. I have the RetronHD and I love it. The controllers are of good quality, too. The only issue I have is the Sprite colors on-screen differ from original hardware. This is not a deal breaker for me, though. Their controllers are good...but their customer service sucks ass. I had a controller go bad and they actually refused to help me because they didn't have any replacements left. Because of that they can go fuck themselves.

Otherwise, I do like the clone consoles and controllers (RetronHD).
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

NES front loader + composite cable + Framemeister + HDTV = win

or...

NES front loader + composite cable + CRT TV = win

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    I haven't heard a lot of good things about Hyperkin. Or any "clone" consoles, really. I mean, some of them have some cool features, but all of them seem to have some gotchas. These are things like "you can't use your own games," or "doesn't work with all games," or "the visuals are fine, but the sound is not," or "the construction feels too light or cheap," or "the controllers are awful," or even "the plastic smells bad."
    SupaBoy: erased one of my save files. really clunky, uncomfortable. cheap feeling. dead pixels

Retron 5. death grip on carts. takes too long to power up. short power cable. died on me within a year of purchase. absolute shit

Retron HD. not a bad console but definitely not full HD. my S-video modded NES hooked up to my upscaler looks a lot better.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

just dump a load of money on an analogue NT or super NT and be done with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Front loader os the best to go. Sadly I need one as the one my brother has is on its last legs. But the price...
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

What about the SupaRetron HD...i think thats the name...the recent snes clone from hyperkin...i hear thats a pretty good clone?

personally i have a retron 5...i really like it..only game not working is virtua racing for genesis...all my snes games work, nes games seem to work fine too

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ncman071 View Post
    What about the SupaRetron HD...i think thats the name...the recent snes clone from hyperkin...i hear thats a pretty good clone?

personally i have a retron 5...i really like it..only game not working is virtua racing for genesis...all my snes games work, nes games seem to work fine too
    we just got the Supa in at my store. $70. dont know anything about it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

i'd like to have a decent hd clone that emulates hardware rather than software...i have the retron 5 but would like something to hook up in my bedroom...i've seen reviews of all the clones..but it gets confusing...the hyperkin one looks cool...controllers are supposed to be really good....but then you have the retro trio hd plus that plays snes, nes, and genesis in hd but does not have a 4:3 or 16:9 swtich...its stuck in 16:9 unless you manually changge it in your tv settings.....then there is the Classic II that plays NES and SNES games in hd....i dont know...

then of course the high dollar Super NT clone...$189 without a controller...then shipping so your really looking at like $250 or so if you get a controller....

Then you can hook up the snes through scart and scart to hdmi adapter....then theres the component cables from retrovision....but some tv's including visios dont support 240p....so yea i'm a bit confused on what the best solution is...

I'm sort of leaning toward the retro trio hd...but i havent heard a ton of great reviews for that one....

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ncman071 View Post
    i'd like to have a decent hd clone that emulates hardware rather than software...i have the retron 5 but would like something to hook up in my bedroom...i've seen reviews of all the clones..but it gets confusing...the hyperkin one looks cool...controllers are supposed to be really good....but then you have the retro trio hd plus that plays snes, nes, and genesis in hd but does not have a 4:3 or 16:9 swtich...its stuck in 16:9 unless you manually changge it in your tv settings.....then there is the Classic II that plays NES and SNES games in hd....i dont know...

then of course the high dollar Super NT clone...$189 without a controller...then shipping so your really looking at like $250 or so if you get a controller....

Then you can hook up the snes through scart and scart to hdmi adapter....then theres the component cables from retrovision....but some tv's including visios dont support 240p....so yea i'm a bit confused on what the best solution is...

I'm sort of leaning toward the retro trio hd...but i havent heard a ton of great reviews for that one....
    ive owned a framemeister for about 4 or 5 years now and i cant recommend it enough