Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What was your game room like in 1995?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

We had a spare room that my sister and I would hang out in, as our bedrooms had no TV's. Had something like a 24" TV if I recall, maybe smaller, color. NES, SNES, Genesis were there, and I'd swap them with an RF cord. Also had an ancient console TV in the basement, which once in a blue moon I'd hook up the 2600.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Hmmm... I guess in '95, the only gaming I was doing was occasionally playing games on the computer, but even that seems a bit early as I was 2 that year. I know I was playing SimTown in '97 at age 4, and playing with Visio about the same time.

I can tell you about my game setups in the late 1990s, however:

My first "gaming" setup would have been in 1998, I briefly had a Sega Genesis hooked up to the TV in my living room, then got an N64 for Christmas that year. Don't remember where we stored the carts, never had that many of them.

A few months later we got rid of the 64 and got a PlayStation 1, it was usually hooked up in that same living room but it occasionally moved to my bedroom or my parents' bedroom. Some of the games we kept in their original cases, some we stored in a CD binder.

When we moved out of that house in 2001 into a new house, the PlayStation went into my bedroom.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man... 1995... I was a teenager in my bedroom, I had an SNES, and eventually a Playstation (Maybe that was 1996 or 1997, I didn't get one at launch) The NES didn't get much use with the SNES around. I had my home pro-play arcade (an arcade cabinet for your TV and NES, sold at Toys R Us) and that had my TV in it, but the controls were for NES, so to play SNES I had a L&C controls championship joystick on top of a floor tom from a drum set in front of the TV, so I could still stand up and play arcade style.

Beyond that, I had a bunch of comic books and whatever Japanese animation I could get my hands on. Eventually my room was covered wall to wall in 1980s Japanese animation posters.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I was only 7 and 8 in 1995. All I had back then was NES, Genesis and SNES hooked up to the woodgrain RCA tube TV in my grandparents' living room via RF. With more games on NES than the others because they were cheaper.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well since the SNES was still going strong in 1995 I am going to share this with you all on the topic while we are at it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

1995 HS senior going into college, and mid-year discovered I could slowly start to afford second hand old NES games so I started to slowly buy them up a bit, GB and SNES too, so there wasn't huge bulk other than what I kept the last 10 years.

I had this big wood 7"~ cabinet which could hold like a 25-27" TV offset to the side, the other side had a narrow space with a shelf for like magazines. Top had two square/cube spaces, in there had a few gaming fun items and 2 speakers. Below the TV area was a larger rectangle/cube spaces with a moveable pegged shelf on each side as it was divided in the middle as a support. The left had my NES/SNES in there, and under in that half were all my NES/SNES games in NES game holders and exposed in their dust jackets for SNES, right side had my stereo/receiver in there, and below the accessories for gaming etc storage. The games were fairly tight in there as I had around 100~ games between the two consoles. I had some other wood cubes too off to the side, more games and accessories went in them as well as only so much fit below the main space. Another wall had my computer/computer desk-hutch and that had more PC gaming and accessories random fun stuff on top, etc. I didn't let it ever take over the whole room, but it did get the better half of 2 of 4 walls around the closet and the door.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Maybe not 1995, but this was around 1991. Wish we had taken more pictures back then, but taking pictures was a lot more work compared to today haha. I only have these pictures because these were "proof of property" pictures my dad took before we had to evacuate our house. I kid you not, we had to evacuate to escape an erupting volcano. Best part though was that finals were cancelled and we got to move back to the United States early

Ah the old 13" hand me down TV, such a rite of passage. I only really had my Genesis and Amiga hooked up to it at the time, however at this point I had gotten back into PC gaming instead of the Amiga.

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The only computers I had were a C64 and an Amiga 500. I was still living in an apartment at the time, so those were on a small desk in the corner of the dining room.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I had a very old, even for the time. J.C. Penny TV (a lot like this one) that I had to hook up using an adapter to let me use coax over the VHF antenna screw terminals.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by StealthLurker View Post
    Maybe not 1995, but this was around 1991. Wish we had taken more pictures back then, but taking pictures was a lot more work compared to today haha. I only have these pictures because these were "proof of property" pictures my dad took before we had to evacuate our house. I kid you not, we had to evacuate to escape an erupting volcano. Best part though was that finals were cancelled and we got to move back to the United States early

Ah the old 13" hand me down TV, such a rite of passage. I only really had my Genesis and Amiga hooked up to it at the time, however at this point I had gotten back into PC gaming instead of the Amiga.

That is a pretty nice setup for early 90s. What is the smiley face covering your game genie?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StealthLurker View Post

I'm going to guess Pinatubo, judging by the fact that it happened June 15, 1991 and affected two American military bases. Pinatubo's activity started on April 2, and the area within 10 km of the volcano was evacuated April 7, 10-20 km on June 7, and 20-40 km, including the military bases, on June 13. So these pictures were probably taken between June 7-13, 1991, they could have been taken as early as April 1991 though.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KWKBOX View Post
    That is a pretty nice setup for early 90s. What is the smiley face covering your game genie?
    Thanks, it was a pretty decent setup. Prior to that I had the first TV my parents ever bought. I was able to trade up for a more modern TV because the text on my Amiga was absolutely unreadable on it. The smiley face on the desk is covering up a roll of toilet paper haha. I have no idea why it was there. By the time these pictures were taken, our family had been gone for a couple weeks already. My dad had to stay behind to help clean-up and close the military base.

Quote Originally Posted by WelcomeToTheNextLevel View Post
    I'm going to guess Pinatubo, judging by the fact that it happened June 15, 1991 and affected two American military bases. Pinatubo's activity started on April 2, and the area within 10 km of the volcano was evacuated April 7, 10-20 km on June 7, and 20-40 km, including the military bases, on June 13. So these pictures were probably taken between June 7-13, 1991, they could have been taken as early as April 1991 though.
    That's right! It was Mt. Pinatubo. At the time I was sooo excited to be moving back to the good ol' USA, however looking back now it wasn't so bad. Almost twice a month we'd spend the weekend at the capital city where I had a good chance of squeezing some games outta my mom for one reason or another haha. It was great too because I was able to choose from Japanese Megadrive games that came out long before the US versions.

Closer to home there were many "Computer Copy Shops" where you would go through different binders with lists of PC and Amiga games. The ones you were interested in you could "try before you buy." Games cost $1.50 per disk to copy. I would often save my allowance money to buy a pack of 10 3.5" disks and some money to make copies. They would often get new games every week too. Got 90% of my Amiga games through these shops and friends. The Amiga was super popular at my school.
    Last edited by StealthLurker; 02-05-2019 at 02:50 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]