Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Default Sharp NES freezing up

I'm having problems with my Sharp NES system freezing up. Some games seem completely fine, my kids played Bubble Bobble for a really long time no problem, for instance. SMB doesn't seem to have any problems. SMB3 seems okay, but I didn't play it for long enough to really know. However, other games I've tested with freeze up right away, like Contra, which always froze on the first level. Dr. Mario seems to work okay for like 30 minutes and then it freezes, sometimes having some glitches for a little while before that (e.g. pills coming while something is still falling, or pieces not falling when they lose support).

These games work fine on separate NES systems.

Games load easily on the SharpNES, but I also cleaned the pins and have installed a BLW, neither of which helped at all.

I looked around and people with similar problems have been told to replace the voltage regulator. Thought I was good after doing that, because I played around 5 levels of Contra without issue, but then it froze again. Still freezing on Dr. Mario. Next up are capacitors, so I replaced the three on the power supply, and 3 of 4 on the main board. The 4th one isn't labeled with polarity, so I'm not sure what to do about that one, just left it for now. With that all done, no change on the freezing up front.

Any suggestions? I could go after that last capacitor and just put it in the way it would be on a regular front-loader. I'm thinking I need to start looking at chips, but I can't see any way to do that. There is certainly no easy way to power the thing with it open/accessible.

Here's the board and cap in question pointed out:

Last edited by Cornelius; 04-29-2018 at 03:22 PM.