Thread: PSTV good 1st game?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Default PSTV good 1st game?

I have an urge to get a PSTV, mainly because I am curious and I don't want to lose the chance to get one new.

I was just wondering what would be a good game to go with it, imports are ok just not a whole lot of reading, only know the basic menu stuff (yes's and no's, options etc)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Keep in mind that many Vita games are incompatible with the PSTV. Many are, though you need to check compatibility. You can also hack it to make all games work, but some games still won't work because they require the gimmicks the Vita has.

It's region free, which is nice.

Should you get one? Yes! Even with limitations, I know you will find much fun with it. Just keep an eye out on compatibility and you will be fine.

One game I loved playing on it was Adventures of Mana (Final Fantasy Adventure remade), but could not finish it due to Maria. Need to play it again, as I loved the GB game.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

yea I remember something about the touch and motion stuff not working, of course, but I wonder if using a PS4 controller instead would change that?
    I don't have a PS4 but I do have a controller (cool translucent one) and I was thinking of getting a second (also cool red translucent)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

If I recall, the PS4 controller can simulate either the front touch screen or the back touch panel, but not both at the same time. So games that require both are incompatible. Thankfully, very few incorporate both features; some games that do have been released for the PS4, like Gravity Rush.

Overall, it's a wise idea to use a PS4 controller on the PSTV, and if you plan to do the remote play thing, connect the PSTV to the internet via an Ethernet cable.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

If you don't plan on getting a PS4 then I suggest getting these. I'm not going to recommend anything on the PS3 because if you have a PS3, you should just be playing the PS3 version, but considering you don't have a PS4 I'll put recommendations(and would highly recommend just getting a PS4 and PS4 versions.)

For the exclusives.

Dungeon Travelers 2. I'd recommend you play this alone, because the enemies in the game and some scenes are borderline softcore hentai. That is honestly the only problem with the game imo, is it's too sexualized. Imo though, it's the best dungeon crawler on the Vita.

Starting off, each character has a base class and you get other characters that have the same set of classes. After reaching level 10, that character can then upgrade into one of two classes(three classes for magic users.) After getting level 20, there are three(or four for magic users) classes in the advance tier. You can reset your character at any time to allow your character to start at the first class but retain all your levels and points. Then as you class up, you can put your skill points into any of the classes you've went through to get through whatever tier you're at. So you have five starting classes with three or four advanced tier classes, making up for a total of 16 advanced classes. You create your builds off of those while picking up the useful abilities in the lower classes to fill the characters out. There are multiple characters per class, so you could have more of one type or you can have five completely different class types. The mage class can be anything from the destructive type, curative type, status effect type, even a melee/tank type(buffs own stats with spells.)

SD Gundam G Generation Genesis. I enjoyed this enough on the PS4 to buy the game again, despite never going to play it on my Vita. This is also the only Vita game that has two cards. One card is an install card, the other card is the game card, if that tells you how big the game is. Now, I'm going to tell you both the good and the bad to the game, because it's an excellent game, but it does have its problems.

So starting with the problems and that is that because you have 17 different storylines to play through and you can play through any of them that you want at any time, your group of characters participate in all the battles, and if you go to later battles first and then go back to earlier battles, it gets too easy. If you also work on building your suits too fast, you can have mobile suits that easily outclass all the opponents. So the game has a sort of balancing issue that needs to be sort of watched by the player. After getting every mobile suit, I plan to make a guide on how to balance each and every mission. It's not going to be anytime soon and it'll be a personal guide, but I might put it on Gamefaqs if I ever do complete it.

With that out of the way though, as I said. There are 17 different storylines in the game, and by 17 different storylines, I mean there are 17 different Mobile Suit Gundam UC series that the game follows. Now, if you know a little bit about any of the UC Gundams it's easier to follow, if you know the series themselves it's even easier to follow, although if you don't know anything, I'd still say that the game does a good enough job to walk you through the storyline of each series, you just won't know the bits in between aside from the in game dialogue between missions. This game has a ton of content though, and for example on how much content, the original Mobile Suit Gundam has six different stages, each stage consists of one or sometimes to different levels within each stage and a decent amount of storyline, and starting the game off on Mobile Suit Gundam the stages also last around 1-2 hours of storyline and gameplay, challenges to complete within the stages extend objectives during missions and unlock stuff within the game. There's a lot of content and it's a pretty solid TRPG.

Super Robot Wars V. Now, storyline I actually enjoyed The Moon Dwellers more, but gameplay I enjoyed SRWV better. SRWV didn't have any of the pairing crap which was too much busy work. I haven't finished SRWV because it's a long game and I eventually put it down though(along side my second play through of TMD.) Super Robot Wars series are both visual novel and TRPG rolled into one with some absolutely beautiful attack animations, some running more than a couple minutes(which you can skip or turn off altogether.) The SRW games tell a full storyline and the balance is a bit better than SD Gundam G Generation Genesis, but in a way I do like SDGGGG better.

Unit 13. Now. I'm only assuming it'll play on the PSTV. It does require some touch controls, but they're limited to pressing the screen to disarm something or to throw a grenade. I will however say that this is a very good score based mission game. You have multiple missions with different objectives, whether it's stealth, all out run and gun, or a combination of both. You have multiple team members that you choose from, each gets point values based on certain criteria and are the best characters to use in specific situations. You've got your stealth and close quarters characters, your assault classes, and your sniper. As you progress you get experience unlocking new skills and perks for the characters.

Soul Sacrifice. Another game I don't know if it works on the PSTV. Soul Sacrifice Delta is the newest version with all the content of the past game. One thing I'll state is that it's very similar to Monster Hunter. However each time you defeat a mission you get different magic drops and the better you do, the better the drop is from the mission. Instead of grinding for parts for weapons you're grinding for spells. However, on this games you almost immediately get to every bosses area so you get straight to the action, far less busy work. I do feel that this game is much better than the Monster Hunter games.

Ys8. I'd recommend this for the PS4 as it's 1080p@60fps(with minimal frame drops depending on the area.) All I'll say is despite the low budget, this is an absolutely amazing game. One of the best games on the PS4. It's also quite long as well and I thoroughly enjoyed it to the end of the game. I plan on eventually finishing Nightmare difficulty for the platinum.

Will recommend others later.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Unit 13 is incompatible with the PSTV unless it's hacked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I very much second DT2. I really enjoy:

Toukiden Kiwami
    Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth (also on PS4)
    Freedom Wars (there exists criticism for this game but I had a blast playing it)
    Many of the PS2 ports were very well done. FFX HD, Persona 4 Golden, Disgaea 2 and 3

Of course one of the best parts is also having access to PSP and PS1 games.