Thread: Golf Games?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Golf Games?

So this is kind of a remake of a thread I made on HG101 but I wondered if I might get more/different answers here.

So I've been watching videos of Markiplier and Mangaminx and both have at some point played a game called Golf It which.... just watching it is more fun than a golf game has any right to be. Seriously look at the video and see for yourself.

Thing is... I really wanna play it now, but I'm sure Golf-It won't run on my crappy budget laptop.

So now I'm looking for something that's similar to it, but available for Gamecube, Playstation 2, PSP, or anything of that vintage or older.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

There is one Tiger Woods golf game on PS2 that is really good... they came out with a bunch of them but I think the one we had alot of fun with was tiger woods PGA Tour 2004.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was quite surprised when Neo Turf Masters turned out to be one of my favorite games on SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1. I mean, its not a physics based thing like this one (instead relying on the ol' wait for the meter to move back and forth for swing power), but there is just something so fun and replayable about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Gamecube era golf or back, how about Ribbit King?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

N64 Mario Golf is still maybe the best Golf game ever. The Neo Turf Masters recommendation is a solid one as well.

The Genesis also churned out some really good golf games. If I remember correct European Tour was the best one.

Not old, but I have to throw these in there. Golf Story on Switch. Also, for a realistic golf game, Golf Club 2 on PC/PS4 is probably the best one I have ever played.

Then there's https://www.wgt.com/ which is an in browser golf game, that is also super realistic. And super addicting. All the courses are created by shooting them with a helicopter and scanning them.

Another golf game that is very highly regarded by the PC community is the old Links 2001 for Win98. Many people claim this is still the best golf game of all time.

Really you need to decide if you want realistic golf, or a fantasy golf like mario golf. Both can be great depending on your mood at the time. I would avoid anything by EA post genesis era. That's when they started introducing "tiger control" where you could control the ball mid flight. Bunch of BS.
    Last edited by greedostick; 05-13-2018 at 12:57 AM.
    Currently looking to trade for Magical Chase any version, and especially Dynastic Hero USA version. I have Samurai Shodown V Special MVS, lots of other MVS titles, and tons of games. Check out my profile over at http://gametz.com/user/greedostick.html if you are looking to get rid of one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I used to love the older DOS (1992) Links 386 so much. I read that the Links LS (2000) is truly a high point but it seems it detests 64bit windows supposedly, but also randomly. I've been trying to dig up any good info that says it will work on a modern (win7+ 64bit) os with little solid luck.

I'd like to find a fantastic one for IOS on my phone though, problem is you have a required network download connection going (wgt) or it's buried in IAP hell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Well I'm specifically looking for games comparable to the one I linked to a video of in the OP. Which as you can see, its not very realistic.

I have PGA Tour Golf II on the Genesis (part of a lot of games that were just dumped on me) and Fighting Golf for the NES but honestly... actually they can be relaxing sometimes, but it feels like there's too many random factors and I don't have enough control. I'd like to just point and shoot and let physics do the rest without having to worry about hooks and swipes and whether to use a 9-iron or a 9-wood (what even is the difference?)

It's really seeming at the moment like I might just have to build a new PC, get steam, and try either Golf It (the game I linked to a video of) or the somewhat similar Tower Unite Golf. Golf It looks more fun honestly since it has the options for ball collisions and allowing on-command ball jumping, which some players get really good at.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Hot Shots Golf was a Sony classic for a while.
    Ribbit King is pretty great.
    The Mario Golf games may seem at a glance to be perfect arcade-style games but they can be surprisingly complex and are heavily skill-based.

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

One of the first games I played on the PC was Jack Nicklaus Golf, which came with a hand-me-down 486DX-33 miditower we got from a relative. Apparently not as good as Links 386, but it proved to be a pretty fun game. Using it required one of those goofy 'code wheels' which it used as copy protection. Think we still have it somewhere, though it's missing the center spinner.
    -Adam

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

There was discussion (here?) a long time ago about an SNES mini golf game that I was immediately reminded of by the OP. My very quick google search tells me it was probably the unreleased BS Out of Bounds Golf (or maybe it was a Satellaview game). I assume it is available via emulation.

I'm not positive about that though. The one I'm thinking of I'm pretty sure had multiplayer and you could mess with your opponents.

here's a pretty thorough writeup that I didn't read http://www.rvgfanatic.com/7401/1516678.html
    Last edited by Cornelius; 05-14-2018 at 08:20 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

So no mention of Ninja Golf yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Please tell me Ninja Golf lives up to its title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I used to love the older DOS (1992) Links 386 so much. I read that the Links LS (2000) is truly a high point but it seems it detests 64bit windows supposedly, but also randomly. I've been trying to dig up any good info that says it will work on a modern (win7+ 64bit) os with little solid luck.

I'd like to find a fantastic one for IOS on my phone though, problem is you have a required network download connection going (wgt) or it's buried in IAP hell.
    It's a retro gaming forum. Don't slack on the classic PC consoles. A solid win 98SE PC can be built these days using a lot of modern parts. I have a win 98se rig I built using a micro SD card for the hard drive, modern CD drive, case, psu, etc.. It's much cheaper than you think. Floppy drive emulators are a thing now too. I use a GOTEK, so I never need to use a real floppy for older games.

I also forgot to mention Pangya on PSP. It's a solid golf game.
    Currently looking to trade for Magical Chase any version, and especially Dynastic Hero USA version. I have Samurai Shodown V Special MVS, lots of other MVS titles, and tons of games. Check out my profile over at http://gametz.com/user/greedostick.html if you are looking to get rid of one.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Golf (NES)
    Mario Golf (N64)

Those are my favorites. The Tiger Woods games were awful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

The Tiger Woods games are kinda meh, but they tend to be bundled with South Park to make up for it.

I want to recommend Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf for the NES, just for the name alone, even though the game itself involves no fighting.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I actually have Fighting Golf, and I always wondered why it was called that.

Last night I gave Kirby's Dream Course another shot, tho.... I have a history with that game (its the first game I ever hated so much that I wanted it returned to the store, tho I couldn't because of course I had nearly beaten it at the time) and I felt it all rushing back during my experiment.

(For the curious, I don't recall everything I hated because this was in the days of Gamepro Magazine and before the internet, but I remember the breaking point being that some dunderhead thought to have a FINAL BOSS FIGHT in a game that's totally not set up for that kind of thing)

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Please tell me Ninja Golf lives up to its title.
    I never actually played it(as I never found a copy) but you basically have to fight your way to each hole as a ninja. I really hoped someone else would have commented on it by now with more insight.