Thread: I started installing HALO 5 last night around 1:00...it's 11:22 a.m. and at 78.8%

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default I started installing HALO 5 last night around 1:00...it's 11:22 a.m. and at 78.8%

Is this a thing? I mainly play classic Retro stuff, so I'm not in the know.

I have all of the base model current generation consoles (Switch, PS4 Slim, XBONE S), but my XBONE S is pretty much untouched. I've played Song of the Deep (awesome game, BTW), Gear of War 4, and a few minutes of SineMora EX and Transformers Devastation, but that's it. I've played my Switch and PS4 Slim about 2000% more than than the XBONE, and am still fairly unfamiliar with the system.

So then, this whole game install thing. IS this the norm for AAA games on the XBONE? :^\

Gears' 4 was a digital download copy and I don't recall how long it took to install because I just started it and ignored the system for the weekend. It could have been an hour or a day, I don't know.

I just have a hard time believing that games have 12+ hour install times now. Please tell me that this is an anomaly. O_o

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I think most Xbox One first party games are over 100GB because of the 4K textures. I don't ever see the same installs on the PS4 though. I think the biggest games on the PS4 I've seen are 80GB for GTA5 and 70GB for Titanfall 2. Dragon Quest Builders is one of the smallest AAA titles at less than 1GB.

However, it also determines how fast your internet connection is as well. I've got a pretty fast connection because either I pay for some outrageous internet speeds or I hit my cap in less than a month and pay the same amount or more regardless. It's a cable companies way to deter people from using Hulu and Netflix. I'd rather use Hulu and Netflix though.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It took 15 and a half hours. This was an install from a physical game. No downloading or anything, just installment from the disc?

15 and a half hours! Why!?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

No online install and it took 15 hours? That's never happened on PS4. Even when the games are still installing you can play them soon after. Except The Last of Us which takes around 10 minutes and Ubisoft games which take maybe 20-30 minutes first.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I don't have an XBO, but that much time doesn't seem right. Emperor Megas, how fast is your Internet connection? Some games require patches to be downloaded and applied during installation, right? If yours is a good Internet connection, then it should finish faster than that. If you were somehow about to install offline (Are Xbox Ones able to install and run games offline yet?), then it definitely should have been faster than that.

I'm afraid it sounds like your Xbox One has a hard disk drive with problems. Are you the technical sort? If so, then you can connect the HDD to your PC and run programs like SpinRite to check the condition of the drive, recover data, and mark bad sectors as bad so that those sectors won't be used in the future.

This video from iFixIt should get you started on removing the HDD. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Xbox+On...lacement/36771 Once you have removed the drive, you can connect it to a PC to check the disk for errors.

For example, if you connect the drive via USB, then you can use Windows's ChkDsk program to scan for errors: https://windowsinstructed.com/run-chkdsk-windows/

I hope that helps!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Reading through a lot of other posts online it seems this isn't that uncommon. I've seen several people say their disc install was at 70 something percent after 12 hours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I just realized, took me twice as long to install HALO5 than it did to actually complete the game. :^/

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I just realized, took me twice as long to install HALO5 than it did to actually complete the game. :^/
    I noticed on my Xbox, and I might be mistaken, but when you install a game and are connected to the internet it doesn't install from the disc whatever portions that are overwritten in the update. For instance, if a game is a 40g install and has a 20g update, the completed install size won't necessarily be 60g.

I do not like how the Xbox will not let you bypass updates if you don't want to install them. The 360 would prompt you that there was an update and if you declined it you could continue playing the game but you'd just be signed out XBL. This one prompts you and if you decline you're just thrown back to the home screen. There's no way to play it unless you manually disconnect from Live in the settings or physically unplug your Ethernet cable.

I had satellite internet for a while and it was perfectly suitable for everything you'd do with consoles online except for the actual multiplayer. The XB One was so aggravating I just boxed it back up until they finished running fiber optic in my neck of the woods.