Thread: The Most Expensive Items in Your Collection of Games

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default The Most Expensive Items in Your Collection of Games

I couldn't find a good existing topic for this, so I created a new one. What are the priciest, most valuable games in your collection?

Extra credit: What is the approximate value of your entire collection (software and hardware) in US dollars? Is it enough to retire with?

The most expensive game I had (as far as I was aware) was a complete, mint copy of Shantae for the Game Boy Color. I sold it on eBay for $688.89 during December 2017. Not too bad for a game for which I only paid about $20 or $30 in 2003!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I definitely don't know the total value of my collection, and I'm not even sure I know my single most valuable game since it seems like I can never keep up with how values are changing. For a long time, I've figured it's my CIB Zenki for PC-FX. I thought it was worth around $200-$300, but looking at eBay, the only sold one recently went for $900. I don't know if that's a fluke or if it can consistently pull in that much. I've also got a CIB Zeroigar for PC-FX, Harvest Moon with the manual for SNES (no box, though, which I regrettably threw away myself back in the day), EVO with the box for SNES (no manual in this case, but at least I'm not the one who tossed it), a complete Chrono Trigger for SNES (well, minus the tray and generic inserts, but I could just as well pull those from another game), a loose Gun-Nac for NES, a CIB Goemon's Great Adventure for N64, and probably a bunch of others that are dancing around the $200 or $300 mark, give or take. A bunch of these I didn't even know were so valuable until relatively recently, so I wouldn't be remotely surprised if there are other games in my collection that I think are worth a few bucks or a few dozen tops, only to actually be worth $100+. So that's why I'm unsure what's truly the most valuable in my collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I really don't follow the value of stuff very closely (mostly because I had acquired most of my collection long before it became collectible) - probably my most valuable thing is a copy of earth bound with the box, guide and manual. But I have a lot of other now valuable pieces such as the 4 dragon force discs and all seven of the lunars silver star (sega cds). And for most of the consoles I do have I have almost all of the rpgs. With the exception of the gameboy* formats everything I have has the manuals, maps, boxes etc that they came with.

*I got into the gameboy stuff late since I didn't get into it until the SNES converter came out - and the advance and color ones when the gameboy player came out - being a bitch kitty to get boxes - I do have manuals for all of them except a few things like trip world and amazing tater.

No idea of the total value of things - even a lot of my guides are now scary valuable.
    Last edited by Natty Bumppo; 06-05-2018 at 06:32 AM.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    ........ EVO with the box for SNES (no manual in this case, but at least I'm not the one who tossed it).....
    The dumb thing about that one is that the manual is just a single double sided page folded up. I scared myself several years ago when I thought I had lost the manual - I forgot that it was one page and I had put in a flat vinyl holder with my game maps and posters (keeps them from damage being folded/unfolded and stuffed in/out of boxes).
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

My most valuable are probably Panzer Dragoon Saga (paid $160), Burning Rangers (paid under $40), Magic Knight Rayearth (paid $50), and Saturn Bomberman (paid $50). I bought all these in the late 2000s to early 2010s before prices went insane. I used to want to go for a complete US Saturn collection, but after looking what I had left to buy to do that, it's mostly filler at this point. I'd still buy that "filler' if I found it at reasonable prices, but I don't actively want to at current prices.

For the bonus question, I don't have my entire collection valued out, but a few systems I do:

Saturn = $8400
    3DO = $1245
    PS4 = around $2000 (will probably decline as some of the games get older)

Which reminds me, I need to get back to pricing out the rest of my collection

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Like many of you, I haven't kept up with prices and have no idea the total value. Most likely would be the Star Force prototype, but Rescue Rangers 2 is up there. I don't have anything like Samson or Bubble bath babes. Other than those it is probably some CIB stuff I'm not too aware of. Polar Rescue on Vec used to go for a bit, and I have that CIB. Then there's stuff like N64 Snowboard Kids 2. That Rule of Rose I picked up the other day would make the list, but if I'd had it in the collection for years I probably wouldn't have known. PS1 stuff like Lunar and Suikoden 2 might make it? I wonder what Gamecube prices are doing these days...

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I really don't know at this point as a lot of values changed and I haven't checked everything regularly to keep track. A lot of expensive games I've already sold off for far less than what they're now going for, including a loose Gun-Nac for $20 and an almost complete Action 52(missing the comic) for about $46. This seems more like a Nintendo Age type of question honestly. Not even focusing on the rarity, just the pure dollar value.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For SNK, Ninja Master's or Metal Slug X Japanese Neo Geo homecarts.
    For Sega, Keio Flying Squadron Sega CD or Crusader of Centy Genesis.
    For Nintendo, Metal Warriors SNES or Bubble Bath Babes NES.
    For Sony, Harmful Park PS1.

Hardware wise, I'd say my Dreamcast Divers, NES M82 Kiosk, or my Egret II.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Sign up at pricecharting.com and keep track of your collection there. It will track your current game collection value and you can sort by price to instantly see what your most expensive game is.

Only thing it doesn't take into account is condition. I have a few games that I know are worth more than the average price because they are 100% complete and about as mint as mint can get.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

My most expensively purchased games are a few Neo Geo MVS carts I bought as new kits (KoF 2003, SvC: Chaos) that were around $200 each.

As for value, probably SNES Castlevania: Dracula X which goes for around $220+ nowadays. I've got a few Sega CD and Saturn games that now go for stupid money but not quite triple digits (Lunar, Samurai Shodown, Die Hard Arcade, Robo Aleste, etc).

For rarities I've got a few unlicensed games that the number of confirmed copies in the wild can be counted on one hand, some that my copy is literally the only known copy in existence. However nobody collects or gives two shits about unlicensed trash, so that's one of those deals where it's worth a lot to me personally but others not so much.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I don't have any absurdly priced games in my collection aside from PS1 RPGs, so I'm going to have to go with Suikoden 2 maybe? If anything in my collection that I plan to keep was a dollar though I wouldn't care. I collect only games I'll play, sell off the ones I don't like, so I'd preferably like the ones that I don't care for to be more expensive so I don't waste my money on them.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Like others, I haven't been keeping up with prices much lately. I only have a handful of games in the $50-$100 range. Anything of value that I wasn't too interested in I sold off years ago. So I'm not sure what the most expensive would be. Probably nothing to get too excited about. Maybe CIB Legend of Zelda? Whatever it is, I'm sure I only paid $3-$4 for it at Goodwill.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im not really a collector, and im not entirely sure how much these are worth...but i have Ogre Battle - March of the Black Queen on psx, with the original case/manual/disk all in great condition. I have a loose secret of mana cartridge, and also a loose Final Fantasy 3 cartridge [the version that can become bugged out by using sketch on certain monsters]. Hmm! Yea like i said i dont have much, i have other games but those are very common im sure.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh and while this is not a game, i do have a very rare Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time t-shirt, that came with pre orders from KB toy stores back in 1998 or 1999. Its in perfect condition, it was never worn. I posted it online a few years back out of curiosity and a random person offered $100 for it, so im sure its worth more than that.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

items with out a doubt are:
    Sharp NES TV w/ 2 matching controllers and remote
    Donkey Kong Cocktail machine

I haven't kept up on the value but I know both are pretty up there

TE Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have around 2k pieces in my entire collection. So if you count $1 per item, my collection is worth $2000. That's ok by me.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to turboexpress For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (06-13-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Most of my very valuable games were sold ...

Right now I have only a few PS1 RPGs that hold some value among other games:

Suikoden 2
    Valkyrie Profile
    Lunar SSSC Sealed
    Earthbound SNES (cart only)
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

This thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Not quite sure, but I do know we (my brother and I) have:

CIB of Condor Attack
    CIB of Flinstones 2 (NES)
    CIB of Earthbound

Many other CIB's but nothing in the value of those titles.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

according to pricecharting.com, it's Gargoyle's Quest II for NES, complete, but I think I paid more for a copy of Joe and Mac 2 SNES complete with poster and mint condition. both great games.