Thread: NEOGEO mini, SNK's "New Arcade Home Console"

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default NEOGEO mini, SNK's "New Arcade Home Console"

SNK is proud to announce the NEOGEO mini, a video game console celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the SNK brand.

The NEOGEO mini is a video game console, which will include 40 nostalgic titles from the NEOGEO system, which made its debut in 1990. This console will feature a 3.5 inches display, meaning the games can be enjoyed with no need to connect to a TV or monitor! The size of the NEOGEO mini means it fits perfectly in the palm of one’s hand. The NEOGEO mini will be available in two different designs, one for the Asian market and the other one for overseas markets (for North America, South America, Europe and other regions). With its design in black, white, and red, the Japanese version of the NEOGEO mini will faithfully reproduce the original NEOGEO arcade cabinet that was introduced in Japan in 1990. The overseas version will be a simple and modern design in black, white and blue.

We hope you look forward to enjoying the NEOGEO mini along with its legendary and popular NEOGEO titles.

For more details such as the release date and title lineup, please stay tuned for future announcements.

TITLE DETAILS
    ■Product name: NEOGEO mini

■Number of titles: 40 titles

■Display size: 3.5 inches

■Size and weight: W135mm x D108mm x H162mm /600g

■Accessory: Power supply cable (AC adaptor will not be included)

■Connection terminals: HDMI terminal (Input for TV monitor), headphone terminal, 2 external controller terminals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEOGEOmini_International_Side.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	10536

So what is this thing? Basically, it's an all-in-one console shaped like an SNK arcade machine! It will include dozens of games including Metal Slugs and Kings of Fighters. It's powered via a USB cable. You can play it stand-alone, or you can connect it to a TV or any other HDMI-compatible screen. You can optionally connect it to external speakers. You can use external controller(s) if you want - they'll have both white ones and black ones designed to look like the AES's controllers. I think it is pretty neat!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nz17 For This Useful Post:

DeputyMoniker (08-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

As a AES owner which I love, and a NeoGeo X owner by Tommo. Who I did think did a good job with the NeoGeo X. I love mine. I will still get the new NeoGeo mini just to continue to show my support of SNK and the brand. Im a huge fan, and always will be.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

My biggest issue is that they're running it in AES home system mode, which means that many of the games in the US version will have stupid shit like green blood and white sweat.

It's a shame that once again US SNK fans get a garbage version of the Neo swansong, SSVS

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEOGEOmini_International_Side.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	10536
    You can use external controller(s) if you want - they'll have both white ones and black ones designed to look like the AES's controllers. I think it is pretty neat!
    They aren't the AES controllers. They're the d-pad CD ones.
    I know the controllers are USB-C, so I'd like to get ahold of one. In the coming years, I'd love to have a NeoGeo CD controller for my laptop (once USB-C becomes more common.) Assuming they don't use some weird design that renders them useless on anything but the NG mini.

EDIT: Oh, and thank you for the post. I didn't even know about the thing until I saw this.

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    My biggest issue is that they're running it in AES home system mode, which means that many of the games in the US version will have stupid shit like green blood and white sweat.

It's a shame that once again US SNK fans get a garbage version of the Neo swansong, SSVS
    Yep. So if I get one, it'll be the Japanese version. You can change the navigation menu to English and the games will still run in Japanese mode (which is usually in English, anyway.)
    Last edited by DeputyMoniker; 08-10-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I recently saw a NEOGEO Mini International Edition at GameStop. The price had dropped from $110 to $90. For those that own the International or Japanese Edition, what are your thoughts about it or both of them? Which should a person buy? What's the "right price" for the International Edition or Japanese Edition?