Thread: Gun-nac (Compile, NES)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Smile Gun-nac (Compile, NES)

This game is great, one of my favorites. It's a shmup, but it is one of the few shmups which I actually like. Then again, I expect that kind of quality from Compile, its developer. I got my copy during the Super Nintendo era when my grandmother bought it from a Blockbuster Video when that store was clearing out all of its 8-bit games, so my cart has a shiny silver Blockbuster sticker on the back.

Gun-nac is crazy though in a good way. Everyday items start to go crazy and attack people in another solar system. You pilot a standard looking fighter-spaceship but you attack toilet paper, carrots, gold, cephalopods, spaceships, acorns, lucky cats, and such across several different stages - including a secret stage, Stage 0! In-between stages you use the bags of money you collect to buy upgrades from a space convenience store. You fight enemies using standard shots, flame throwers, and bombs among other types of weapons. It's really quite surprising and awesome!

Who would have thought that charming little Gun-nac would appreciate so much in value though? Yeah, it's an NES game, and old Nintendo games sell for a lot these days, but back then, it probably cost like $5 - $20 to buy used from the video rental store, and it's not even published nor developed by Nintendo. But what's the price now? Imported Japanese copies are selling for $50 - $60. Cartridge-only US copies are selling for $200! Complete JP copies? $300! Complete US copies? $250 - $500! And sealed? $725! Heck, just the cardboard box with a Styrofoam block sells for $95!

When I saw those prices, I was just gobsmacked! I really cherish my copy of Gun-nac as it is an excellent and funny shmup so I wouldn't want to sell it, but those prices are amazing and not in a good way.

Anyway, enough about the cost. Have you ever played this game from an original copy or otherwise? If not, then you should!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

It's not my favorite NES shmup (which is Dragon Spirit), but it's definitely up there. Nice music too.

I really lucked out with this one. I found a copy just before prices started to go really crazy. I came across a loose cart several years ago for 2 or 3 bucks and considered it a good find even then, since it was worth around $30 or so at the time. But it seemed like every time I checked after that, it was climbing and climbing, first approaching $100, and then beyond. I think if it had been any later when my cart showed up in the store, it would've been snapped up by someone else before I ever got a chance to even see it.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

The NES version is a rare, and it being a shooter makes it a pricey cart.

The Japanese cart however, Ive seen quite a bit. If the famicom is selling for 50$ and up, I would say that is alot. I think these type of shooters were alot more popular in Japan, and thus they are much more common.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Although it's amusing and fun, Compile's other STG, Zanac, is definitely the better game, as well as far more affordable. Gun-Nac does a good job of being a bit easier and more relaxed without going completely zany like Parodius (which of course is also quite fun!)

TE Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Being a fan of Zanac, i love how this game looks. Never heard of it. I guess the price is high because there are many people like me who never heard of this game. Sellers jump all over us and smell blood, making prices ridiculous hehehehehehe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I have the famicom version cib.It's not a be all for a compile shooter but it's solid enough game play wise.Beside the game itself,being a parody of the aleste series.It is crazy how pricey gun-nac has become when it used to be a obscure game.