Thread: How were Famicom / Super Famicom games packaged new?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Default How were Famicom / Super Famicom games packaged new?

does any one know?
    I noticed when I was over there they don't have the same hang ups on shrink wrapping everything like most western countries do but there were still a few things wrapped up (CDs/DVDs)

the reason I ask is because I've been buying a lot of stuff on ebay lately, and a few of my games have been advertised as used but when I get them they really don't look like they were ever opened except for taking pictures for the listing.
    the thing that gets me is most of these games have absolutely no wear, dirt or any thing on the contacts. theres mixed results on the web about this topic. I notice some old news clips on you tube showing famicom systems in plastic but its not shrink wrapped but almost wrapped as if you would wrap a xmas gift, and its different in some of the clips leading me to think that the retail stores might be the ones wrapping them. it gets even further confusing because Nintendo doesn't shrink wrap western systems.

any way the games in question that I have are the first SFC sailor moon side scrolling beat em up, the real name escapes me at the moment, and Barcode World on FC.
    Sailor Moon is is quite possible NOS looking with minor wear marks on the corners of the box from being shuffled around a bit and the inside bits are near perfect, Barcode World is similar but the box shows a weird fade pattern indicating it sat on the same shelf for a VERY long time next to another famicom game (faded spot outlines a standard size famicom box) and most of the interior bits are in the same condition with exception of the manual, and label. The label looks like the glue that used to stick it on soaked through, I see this on a lot of older games I've opened new before and the manual looks like it got caught on some thing when it was put back in the box for the listing because its perfect there but has a minor fold at the spine when I opened it.

i'll try and get pics when I can

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If a Japanese game was packaged in a cardboard box, then it 99.999% most likely was not originally sealed in plastic (on the flip side, jewel cases will always be in sealed in plastic when new, partially because they need something to hold the spine cards in place). I would say, on average, the Japanese take better care of their games than Americans (that's not to say there aren't tons of loose Famicom carts that reek of cigarettes, though), so that's why many used games look practically new. Plus there's the fact that sellers who export Japanese games to Westerners probably focus on selling the best condition copies they can.

It's not uncommon for used games in cardboard to be put in plastic for protection and for the sake of applying price tags without putting them directly on the box and what have you, but the games most assuredly weren't in plastic from the beginning.

It's unlikely any games sold as used were never opened, but it is hard to tell the difference between a used and new copy if the former is in perfect shape. The best way to tell is to check where the flaps attach to the rest of the box. If either flap was ever opened, there should be some degree of creasing where the flap bend was moved at least 90 degrees from where it sits new. But, I mean, if it's in such good condition, chances are, if it has been used, the previous owner was probably very gentle with it and didn't really crank the flap back when opening, so trying to tell with this method can be tough too.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 07-05-2018 at 07:42 AM.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    they really don't look like they were ever opened except for taking pictures for the listing.
    the thing that gets me is most of these games have absolutely no wear, dirt or any thing on the contacts.
    Collectors often refer to this as being 'crispy'.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    If a Japanese game was packaged in a cardboard box, then it 99.999% most likely was not originally sealed in plastic (on the flip side, jewel cases will always be in sealed in plastic when new, partially because they need something to hold the spine cards in place). I would say, on average, the Japanese take better care of their games than Americans (that's not to say there aren't tons of loose Famicom carts that reek of cigarettes, though), so that's why many used games look practically new. Plus there's the fact that sellers who export Japanese games to Westerners probably focus on selling the best condition copies they can..
    Correct, the cardboard boxes were not sealed.
    Its alot easier finding crispy Japanese games, they took better care of their games..