Thread: Good games that run on Windows XP?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Good games that run on Windows XP?

I just built a Windows XP gaming comp. Its a 2.80ghz Pentium 4 (so single core), 512 ram (though the motherboard can be upgraded to 2gig), with a Geforce 4 ti4200 and a Soundblaster Audigy 2. In other words, a comp I would've considered a powerhouse at the time, but it can only run Doom 3 on medium settings.

But ya know... got new hardware, wondering what games to run on it.

Games I already own are Doom 3, but also the Myst series (I got all of them in a box last year) and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. But this was the period where I basically stopped paying attention to PCs so I'm not sure if there's any underappreciated XP gems to look out for.

(EDIT: It just occured to me that in my "list" I forgot to mention Windows 98 games that also have XP compatibility, so I probably have more than I think I do).

So, suggestions?
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 07-05-2018 at 09:09 AM.

Xbox LIVE
    YoshiDM
    PSN
    YoshiDM
    3DS Friend
    0860-4642-4923
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I just built a Windows XP gaming comp. Its a 2.80ghz Pentium 4 (so single core), 512 ram (though the motherboard can be upgraded to 2gig), with a Geforce 4 ti4200 and a Soundblaster Audigy 2. In other words, a comp I would've considered a powerhouse at the time, but it can only run Doom 3 on medium settings.

But ya know... got new hardware, wondering what games to run on it.

Games I already own are Doom 3, but also the Myst series (I got all of them in a box last year) and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. But this was the period where I basically stopped paying attention to PCs so I'm not sure if there's any underappreciated XP gems to look out for.

(EDIT: It just occured to me that in my "list" I forgot to mention Windows 98 games that also have XP compatibility, so I probably have more than I think I do).

So, suggestions?
    Well, I guess the question is: whaddayawanna play? I'm assuming FPS games and visual puzzlers by what you have on there now.

While I didn't game a ton on PC, here's what I can think of:

Freedom Force
    Star Trek:Elite Force
    Tron 2.0
    Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
    Pirates Gold might work
    Civilization 2 or 3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I'm not really picky about genre--FPSes just happen to be a good go-to for testing hardware, and I really do like adventure games (exploring beautiful mysterious landscapes is part of gaming's joy), but I'm just having trouble remembering what all I've wanted to play before that is now open to me.

One I just thought of... Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. I need to see if that'll run on this rig (IIRC I'm well over the recommended specs).

Pirates... Gold? Isn't that a DOS game? (I have the Sega Genesis version personally)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I keep thinking of games that were just before Windows XP, but maybe that'll work since they should run well:

System Shock 2 (maybe check the rebirth(?) mod)
    Deus Ex
    American McGee's Alice
    Baldur's Gate
    Grim Fandango (There are remastered versions now, though)

Xbox LIVE
    YoshiDM
    PSN
    YoshiDM
    3DS Friend
    0860-4642-4923
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm not really picky about genre--FPSes just happen to be a good go-to for testing hardware, and I really do like adventure games (exploring beautiful mysterious landscapes is part of gaming's joy), but I'm just having trouble remembering what all I've wanted to play before that is now open to me.

One I just thought of... Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. I need to see if that'll run on this rig (IIRC I'm well over the recommended specs).

Pirates... Gold? Isn't that a DOS game? (I have the Sega Genesis version personally)
    I'm pretty sure it was. There's Gold and Gold Plus. It's been years since I played it (I have Gold) but I remember it running in Windows. From what I can tell, Plus runs in Windows.

I'll have to dig it out and try. It's been since the late 90's since I tried it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

In 2004 they released an updated version called "Sid Meier's Pirates! Live the Life" at least that's what it says on the box I've got right beside me here. It's basically the same game with updated graphics and potentially more to do...I don't really remember what all the differences were. I had quite a bit of fun with it back then though.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

So did most people just stop PC Gaming around WinXP or something? Online most of the games I hear about are either A) Win98 games that just happen to still work in XP or else B) Windows 7 or later games that just happen to still work in XP. It's like the XP era itself is a black hole.

From my own collection I only have found the following:

Doom 3
    Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
    Echo (an adventure game that I think takes place in prehistoric times)
    the Myst series--I think Myst IV and V require XP
    Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
    Warcraft III

I'm not sure how many of those are "actually made for XP" vs "Just happen to work in XP."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

I think a lot of games were just compatible with multiple versions and not just XP... but to sort of answer your question more broadly, I thinks it's because that's when Steam started to take over on PC.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...