Thread: some of those arcade games didn't translate too well to home consoles

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default some of those arcade games didn't translate too well to home consoles

I played through Final Fight on Capcom Collection for Xbox. You essentially have unlimited health because when you die you can just "insert coin" and continue to play horribly and never have to start over.

And unfortunately I don't have a Final Fight machine set up in my living room to able to experience this game the way it was meant to be played- fighting transsexuals and dumping boatloads of quarters from your dad's vintage coin collection into the machine.

What are some other games like this that because of the limitations of console games, you essentially have a handicap that can't be removed?

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Nothing says you have to play them that way does it? If anything it makes them more accessible because you can just tank your way through
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

On my Neo Geo cab even though it is set to free play I purposely impose upon myself a credit limit. Just credit feeding to the end isn't fun. When you eliminate any and all penalties to losing, there is no tension/excitement and its just boring. When I get a new game, I'll credit feed through the whole thing once just to experience it all and see the end, but from then on I only try to better my game. Can I win this in $5? If I do can I do it in $3? eventually honing my skills to a single credit clear.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I played through Final Fight on Capcom Collection for Xbox. You essentially have unlimited health because when you die you can just "insert coin" and continue to play horribly and never have to start over.

And unfortunately I don't have a Final Fight machine set up in my living room to able to experience this game the way it was meant to be played- fighting transsexuals and dumping boatloads of quarters from your dad's vintage coin collection into the machine.

What are some other games like this that because of the limitations of console games, you essentially have a handicap that can't be removed?
    Its not a handicap, with the arcade cabs u can use unlimited quarters for unlimited health as well.

If you want to go back to the days where the only way to play Arcade games was through dropping money into a machine.. well why would you wanna do that?

You can always limit yourself to a specific number of credits.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

That's just inherit in the belt scroll/beat 'em up genre (like a few others) and why console ports didn't allow infinite credits. You can have zero skill in the game and still win.

I've got a few cabs, and virtually every game I play on them are either fighters or golden age score attack games. Both require you to actually git gud and learn skills and game mechanics. In the case of score attack games, credit feeding doesn't help you any at all (Burgertime, DK, Galaga, etc).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Az For This Useful Post:

WulfeLuer (07-16-2018)