Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: EmuParadise has removed its entire library of retro game ROMs and ISOs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Exclamation EmuParadise has removed its entire library of retro game ROMs and ISOs

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/2...roms-and-isos/

For nearly two decades, EmuParadise has been the go-to place for quite a number of people in the emulation community. This is due to the site’s vast collection of ROMs and ISOs from many systems, dating all the way back from the Atari and NES eras, straight up to the Wii and PSP. But, things are different now.

The site’s creator recently put out an announcement on a website, titled “EmuParadise is Changing”. This announcement contained an explanation — the site will no longer host any games. Here’s an excerpt:

“It’s not worth it for us to risk potentially disastrous consequences. I cannot in good conscience risk the futures of our team members who have contributed to the site through the years. We run EmuParadise for the love of retro games and for you to be able to revisit those good times. Unfortunately, it’s not possible right now to do so in a way that makes everyone happy and keeps us out of trouble . . . . . You won’t be able to get your games from here for now. Where we go with this is up to us and up to you.”
    This news comes just a few weeks after Nintendo slapped a massive $100 million lawsuit against the owner of LoveROMS and LoveRETRO. These websites were very similar to EmuParadise, hosting a vast collection of retro games and emulators. Mere hours after the lawsuit was filed, both websites were taken offline. Interestingly enough, many responses from the community to the closure of these sites pointed to EmuParadise still being around as another trustworthy source of games. Obviously, that claim no longer applies. In addition to the fall of LoveROMS and LoveRETRO, Nintendo then had an online GameBoy Advance Emulator removed from GitHub.

It must be noted that EmuParadise’s announcement does not specifically denounce Nintendo as being a/the reason for the removal of all the games from the site, But, it has had run-ins with the Big N in the past. Back in June 2017, all of Nintendo’s first-party titles were taken down from EmuParadise’s library. So, taking the two aforementioned recent closures into account on top of last year’s scuffle, it wouldn’t be surprising if Nintendo does have a role to play in this announcement after all, but EmuParadise has yet to name any names. The fact of the matter is, the site was in violation of copyright laws. So, whoever forced the site to make this drastic move did have the legal grounds to do so, especially since EmuParadise was benefiting financially from hosting its library due to selling ad space.

Will this kill the emulation scene? Not exactly. Other sources still exist. However, this is a crippling blow nonetheless. EmuParadise was known not just for having a vast collection of games, but also being a safe source due to many other ROM/ISO sites being riddled with evasive ads and viruses. So, many in the community are going to have to find somewhere else to get their games if they’re still willing to make the effort.
    I'm not shocked, but it was kinda surprising to find out this actually happened with Emuparadise.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

At this point I normally just download the occasional DC/PS2/XBOX/GCN ISO, but I expect those will be next to impossible to find soon.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Retro game repository EmuParadise says it’s finished distributing ROMs

https://venturebeat.com/2018/08/08/r...ributing-roms/

“We will continue to be passionate retro gamers and will keep doing cool stuff around retro games, but you won’t be able to get your games from here for now,” reads an EmuParadise blog post. “Where we go with this is up to us and up to you.”

If you search EmuParadise’s library for games now, you’ll find that the site has already scrubbed away most of them for every system. WarioWare for the Game Boy Advance is gone, but so is Blackthorne for the 32X.
    As someone who has used EmuParadise and purchased retro games directly from Nintendo, I’m sad about this development. It was nice to know that if I ever wanted to try a game out for research or just because I felt like it, EmuParadise provided a way to do so. It was reliable and safe, and now I’m left wondering how I’ll track down some of the lesser known games.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to parallaxscroll For This Useful Post:

bb_hood (08-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

There will be other sites but it's a shame emuparadise is a bust now for roms.I use to visit there site allot when i needed roms for snes&genesis to be put on my everdrive.Still i wouldn't be surprise if emu seen what,nintendo did to loveretro&loveroms and decided to get out asap.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    what,nintendo did to loveretro&loveroms
    um.. what did nintendo do to loveretro&loveroms?

Also, when downloading roms, download via torrent is the way to go.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 08-09-2018 at 12:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nintendo-loveroms-lawsuit

Emuparadise was always a go-to when I wanted individual roms, but yea, torrent is the way to go to get full sets. In all honestly, I was just on EP the other night to find a few N64 roms to keep me busy while I've been sick in bed and got tired of watching tv and yt. Sad to see them go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I'm kind of surprised it took this long. I guess I always assumed the servers were in some country out of Nintendo's reach or something. I wonder if all the Retro Pi consoles flooding craigslist had anything to do with pushing Nintendo to take action. Not that the guys building those don't already have all complete sets of all the roms for every system.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

They filed a cease and deist to them they pretty much gonna sue them.For down loading roms i can definitely see this happening more for going the torrent route.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tron 2.0 For This Useful Post:

bb_hood (08-10-2018)

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

They filed a cease and deist to them they pretty much gonna sue them.For down loading roms i can definitely see this happening more for going the torrent route.
    Even worse. They actually filed a law suit. Same for EP.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DeputyMoniker For This Useful Post:

bb_hood (08-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

To be honest, it's great that this site stopped illegal distribution of ROMs. We are just very used to download a ROM without contributing to the developer and we feel that this is perfectly legal or that we have some right in purpose of "investigation".

I know, classic games should be preserved and most publishers don't care or can't justify an investment on old IP on digital stores or remakes, but that is another subject. It's hard to get that elusive copy of a very rare game, but i you don't get to play a game is not a matter of life or death, we can live without playing every game ever made and getting a physical copy of a very rare or special game be more interesting.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Internet Ent Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MadMikeJ83
    Steam
    mad-miker83

The reason you download without contributing to the developer is because the developer fails to offer a version of that product that works on current hardware and offers the same experience. That's been one of my thoughts since I started doing collecting in the mid-late 1990's.

Heck, they won't even do what the music industry USED to do. Which was that every decade they would have some new medium that takes off and here you are, re-buying The Beatle's Rubber Soul for the 4th time on CD because your Cassette Player just died, and might as well get on the bandwagon. But the thing is music is pretty universal across it's formats - it does not have a computer-code issue to deal with like consoles do, one that requires emulation or even just wiring the same darn hardware from the previous into the current.

Admittedly, Nintendo has been better than most about it so I'm not sure why people bash them so much over it. I remember when I bought my first SNES on my birthday in 1992 - Super Mario All-Stars was being offered free with the purchase of the system - I was one of the first people to get a copy. I remember 2 distinct things about it - 1.) The play experience was totally different. Adding savegames to SMB 3 changed the challenge level, and certain things were changed to make the games easier in some ways. 2.) Sometimes I want to play the 8-bit variation with it's old blocky graphics, no save, no ability to rack up an entire palette full of power-ups. When I bought my Wii, I bought several games on the virtual console that I already owned for my NES on the original cartridges, and had for years. I have no problem paying for stuff.

My only issue with Nintendo is with their SELECTION. It's always the same 144 games every time, and out of all of those, Dragon Warrior is not one of them, and I loved those old Chunsoft programmed 8-bit Dragon Warrior titles. Sure they are probably not cannon now since I know they are a localized version of Dragon Quest, but I like them. So where do I buy them? Well, I can buy the carts, which aside from I & III that I have, II & IV are hard to find, IV costs almost $150.00 at some places which is ridiculous for a 25 year old video game. So I turn to ROMS, lucky for me I downloaded all my ROMS way way back in the day and have just kept them backed up ever since. Even have the old bad 1MB Dump of DW4 for my 486 running Nesticle, because somehow I'm nostalgic for the old emulators sometimes too.

But the Classic Consoles are a good move. But not good enough. The problem I have with those is they feel a little crass, like those Jaks Pacific controllers I got into a habit of using for a time, and thusly, feel a tad overpriced to me.

I always had the idea of reissuing hardware as it was, but with the enhancements so many of us pay to have to hook them up to modern televisions. The Classics do this, Retrons do this, always thought with Atari, rather than the Ataribox they should have put out a reissue 2600 that looks and plays like an old Atari 2600 from the early 80's, and then, maybe offered some games ON it, AND a way to connect a cart and play your old games, maybe even offer some new games on carts.....that's what hte Guitar Manufacturers do. You want a 1957 Fender Stratocaster, but can't afford the $54,000 original, so you go to your local guitar shop and buy a Japanese, Mexican, or Chinese reissue of a 1957 Fender Stratocaster. It looks like a 1957 Fender Stratoacaster, it may even PLAY like one and sound like one, but once you get into the nuts and bolts - it has the modern five-way pickup selector switch offering all the MODERN pickup combos of a strat, instead of the 3-way switch that offers just each pickup by itself as it was in the 1950's, you have a bridge that looks old but had modern tooling so the tuning is more stable, you have a modern backplate that makes restrining easier. But to the average person, it's still a very close approximation of the vintage 54' Stratocaster without the price tag or the setbacks. Sure it's not almost 70 year old hardwoods and aged pickups - but a lot of that is snobbery crap that has no use anywhere TBH. I think the same could be done with any major console from the old eras. We have SOC solutions for the NES and even the PC - I even think some company should try and come out with a modern-486 retro-DOS machine based off the ZF Micro Devices ZFx86 chip - it'd be PERFECT! And just slap it into what looks like an old AT Keyboard with HDMI and a SDCARD/USB/whatever and were golden!

But when it comes to Nintendo, I know a part of why they are doing this is I think they have some kind of redistribution thing planned for their 144 old original titles, likely online, I'm wondering if someone from Nintendo is taking note from the music industry and is hoping that "streaming" old games will be a big thing. I would not be surprised if a lot of the online-emulator sites get shut down as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mike View Post
    The reason you download without contributing to the developer is because the developer fails to offer a version of that product that works on current hardware and offers the same experience. That's been one of my thoughts since I started doing collecting in the mid-late 1990's.

Heck, they won't even do what the music industry USED to do. Which was that every decade they would have some new medium that takes off and here you are, re-buying The Beatle's Rubber Soul for the 4th time on CD because your Cassette Player just died, and might as well get on the bandwagon. But the thing is music is pretty universal across it's formats - it does not have a computer-code issue to deal with like consoles do, one that requires emulation or even just wiring the same darn hardware from the previous into the current.

Admittedly, Nintendo has been better than most about it so I'm not sure why people bash them so much over it. I remember when I bought my first SNES on my birthday in 1992 - Super Mario All-Stars was being offered free with the purchase of the system - I was one of the first people to get a copy. I remember 2 distinct things about it - 1.) The play experience was totally different. Adding savegames to SMB 3 changed the challenge level, and certain things were changed to make the games easier in some ways. 2.) Sometimes I want to play the 8-bit variation with it's old blocky graphics, no save, no ability to rack up an entire palette full of power-ups. When I bought my Wii, I bought several games on the virtual console that I already owned for my NES on the original cartridges, and had for years. I have no problem paying for stuff.

My only issue with Nintendo is with their SELECTION. It's always the same 144 games every time, and out of all of those, Dragon Warrior is not one of them, and I loved those old Chunsoft programmed 8-bit Dragon Warrior titles. Sure they are probably not cannon now since I know they are a localized version of Dragon Quest, but I like them. So where do I buy them? Well, I can buy the carts, which aside from I & III that I have, II & IV are hard to find, IV costs almost $150.00 at some places which is ridiculous for a 25 year old video game. So I turn to ROMS, lucky for me I downloaded all my ROMS way way back in the day and have just kept them backed up ever since. Even have the old bad 1MB Dump of DW4 for my 486 running Nesticle, because somehow I'm nostalgic for the old emulators sometimes too.

But the Classic Consoles are a good move. But not good enough. The problem I have with those is they feel a little crass, like those Jaks Pacific controllers I got into a habit of using for a time, and thusly, feel a tad overpriced to me.

I always had the idea of reissuing hardware as it was, but with the enhancements so many of us pay to have to hook them up to modern televisions. The Classics do this, Retrons do this, always thought with Atari, rather than the Ataribox they should have put out a reissue 2600 that looks and plays like an old Atari 2600 from the early 80's, and then, maybe offered some games ON it, AND a way to connect a cart and play your old games, maybe even offer some new games on carts.....that's what hte Guitar Manufacturers do. You want a 1957 Fender Stratocaster, but can't afford the $54,000 original, so you go to your local guitar shop and buy a Japanese, Mexican, or Chinese reissue of a 1957 Fender Stratocaster. It looks like a 1957 Fender Stratoacaster, it may even PLAY like one and sound like one, but once you get into the nuts and bolts - it has the modern five-way pickup selector switch offering all the MODERN pickup combos of a strat, instead of the 3-way switch that offers just each pickup by itself as it was in the 1950's, you have a bridge that looks old but had modern tooling so the tuning is more stable, you have a modern backplate that makes restrining easier. But to the average person, it's still a very close approximation of the vintage 54' Stratocaster without the price tag or the setbacks. Sure it's not almost 70 year old hardwoods and aged pickups - but a lot of that is snobbery crap that has no use anywhere TBH. I think the same could be done with any major console from the old eras. We have SOC solutions for the NES and even the PC - I even think some company should try and come out with a modern-486 retro-DOS machine based off the ZF Micro Devices ZFx86 chip - it'd be PERFECT! And just slap it into what looks like an old AT Keyboard with HDMI and a SDCARD/USB/whatever and were golden!

But when it comes to Nintendo, I know a part of why they are doing this is I think they have some kind of redistribution thing planned for their 144 old original titles, likely online, I'm wondering if someone from Nintendo is taking note from the music industry and is hoping that "streaming" old games will be a big thing. I would not be surprised if a lot of the online-emulator sites get shut down as well.
    Mike, I know how you feel, bro; many of us do, but that is not a reason to stole IP from a creator. Too many people are creating libraries, programs, games, etc. with an open license to use and modify as you like, but classic games are not.

It's not easy to invest in creating a modern version of a games or in some cases they cannot justify the investment of re-releasing a classic game on digital platforms and people don't care if a company goes out of business ... but most do care if they cannot play one of its old games or if they don't update/release it for modern consoles. That's the duality in all of us.

If you really like gaming, support living developers and efforts you like ... and if you don't like the actual products on the market, support the classic official re-releases, Dragon Quest was released on Android and iOS, you could try that if you like classic games, and you can support Dragon Quest XI, its basically the same old great gameplay.

I don't condemn anyone that uses illegal ROMs, I am not an owner of the IP, but for me, I have strict rules of what I want to do with my gaming habits.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I think the roms/emulators should be shared and enjoyed freely. I think it becomes a problem when people start making money off them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I think the roms/emulators should be shared and enjoyed freely. I think it becomes a problem when people start making money off them.
    But the the rom sites do make money off of them... in the form of ad revenue.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jb143 For This Useful Post:

bb_hood (08-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    But the the rom sites do make money off of them... in the form of ad revenue.
    exactly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

https://torrentfreak.com/images/nintendo-loveroms.pdf

Wow so I read the lawsuit and Nintendo is seriously pissed, is suing the defendant on many charges, and is looking for some $$$$$$$$.
    Jacob Mathias, the single owner of the website is seriously screwed.
    Nintendo is seeking damages for every rom that he hosted, as well as damages for using artwork (like the cover of the Super Mario 3 box).
    According to the law, there can be damages of up to 150,000$ for each infringement of copyrighted work, and he hosted thousands of roms.

And thats not even counting all the profits he made from hosting. Everything he has made on his websites has to be turned over to nintendo.
    Nintendo is demanding all of his profit/loss statements, donations, all his finacial records.

Nintendo wants all of the defendant's unauthorized copies to be seized and delivered to nintendo for inspection; which is prob all his computer stuff.

And even after all this Nintendo expects Jacob Mathias to cover all of Nintendo's legal costs.

Unbelievable.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

just remember roms do have a legal place in the world

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Many years ago, it was common for rom sites to open and close in quite a short period of time. That's back when nothing bigger than SNES or Genesis files were up. The depositories required bandwidth, and that meant money. With ISO's being store, I can't even imagine the hosting costs these sites incurred in the past. As a result, they began having ads to recoup. I have to assume that grew to the point where the hosting party may have been profiting substantially. That said, good grief the LoveROMS owners were IDIOTS. I hadn't used it in years because it was full of click bait and other muck, but their design literally looks like something Nintendo created. Fools.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...e-of-rom-sites

This is a wonderful article with ample evidence that today's game publishers, including Nintendo, have actually PROFITED world-wide as a result of emulation and rom distribution.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker View Post
    Even worse. They actually filed a law suit. Same for EP.
    News to me i haven't heard nintendo was going to.I just thought EP was getting out while the getting was good.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

News to me i haven't heard nintendo was going to.I just thought EP was getting out while the getting was good.
    https://torrentfreak.com/images/nintendo-loveroms.pdf

You may be right about Emuparadise. The articles I read said N was already suing them. New articles are saying they didn't.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut