Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EmuParadise has removed its entire library of retro game ROMs and ISOs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    in response to everyone else... whatever... I can't win. yeah whatever, make every game free. fuck that whole copyright thing. the games are expensive and screw the legitimate mom and pop stores that are probably gonna go under because I use RetroPi and EverDrive, and screw Nintendo's Virtual Console store- they're rich anyways
    But see, that's my whole point. People ARE buying the games even though they can get them for free. You said it yourself, prices are determined by what people are willing to pay, so people are paying those prices. Prices are higher than ever. And more people are collecting or getting into collecting than ever.

And the mom and pop stores are selling used games, so it's not like the developers are seeing a dime from those sales either. They too are profiting from other peoples work if you want to look at it that way.

I'm not saying that it's ok or should be legal. I'm just saying that claiming they do nothing but hurt the community is a bit much...and that Nintendo is probably taking things a bit too far since their cease and desist letters usually seem to do the trick. Did those sites just not comply with them for so long that Nintendo decided to make an example of them?
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    PSN
    bb_hood99
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Imagine the prices of retro games if ROMS diddnt exist.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

You're entitled to your thoughts, but still I feel are misguided....

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Because in a free market system, prices are determined by what people are willing to pay and the store owners are operating a legitimate business as opposed to these dipshits making a living off of other people's hard work?

in response to everyone else... whatever... I can't win. yeah whatever, make every game free. fuck that whole copyright thing. the games are expensive and screw the legitimate mom and pop stores that are probably gonna go under because I use RetroPi and EverDrive, and screw Nintendo's Virtual Console store- they're rich anyways

it seems the people who hated Metallica for being mad at people for not paying for their music in the early 2000's have decided to turn their attention to video games
    Rebuttal literally took the words out of my mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    But see, that's my whole point. People ARE buying the games even though they can get them for free. You said it yourself, prices are determined by what people are willing to pay, so people are paying those prices. Prices are higher than ever. And more people are collecting or getting into collecting than ever.

And the mom and pop stores are selling used games, so it's not like the developers are seeing a dime from those sales either. They too are profiting from other peoples work if you want to look at it that way.

I'm not saying that it's ok or should be legal. I'm just saying that claiming they do nothing but hurt the community is a bit much...and that Nintendo is probably taking things a bit too far since their cease and desist letters usually seem to do the trick. Did those sites just not comply with them for so long that Nintendo decided to make an example of them?
    ....and yes, LOVEroms thumbed its nose at Nintendo for quite awhile and will likely pay the price.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Now that Mickey Mouse is about to rightfully enter the public domain, it's time to revisit copyright law.

Game programs for depreciated platforms 20+ years old should be in the public domain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Now that Mickey Mouse is about to rightfully enter the public domain, it's time to revisit copyright law.

Game programs for depreciated platforms 20+ years old should be in the public domain.
    Steamboat Willy might enter public domain soon, but not the character of Mickey. Disney would never let that happen. If nothing else, they would claim that the character is a corporate trademark that they could own indefinitely.

But if history tells us anything, copyright law will be revisited and pushed back even further... because of Disney. It's happened a couple times already. 20 years would never happen. Way too short a time frame.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Mickey is a Disney trademark, which never expires as long as it used in commerce. Copyrights for games, since they don't usually belong to the author of the game, are good for 95 years I believe.

The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK