Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Default Polymega and the FPGA Conundrum

Whats your guys take on this thing?
    https://www.polymega.com/

I was all for it until this addition to Sega Saturn thing
    Now I question the hardware choices, dual core Pentium in disclosed amount of storage or ram (that I can find atleast)

The FPGA sounded like a cooler idea for the disc based games and I was hoping there would be fixes kind of like the ones for the NES FPGAs that enable more sprites and helip eliminate slow downs.

now that its just straight up emulation on a x86-64 based system it makes me wonder what kind of compatibility issues its going to have and if there will be any additional slow downs where there are none or few present in and original hardware environment.

hopefully theres a demo at PRGE this year of one in action

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I really don't understand the point to all these types of modern clone consoles. I already own consoles to play all the games I collect as I've been collecting for years, why would I need to buy another one along with modules? I wouldn't pay much for something like this.

Otherwise it doesn't seem terrible. You can actually install your games instead of having to dump them every time like with the Retron. A bit curious how they're making the system compatible with the Famicom disc system as they're not going to make a module for it, out of every possible console hardware they're making modules for they're not going to bother with the add-on that's the least reliable and least likely to still be working properly. A big part of their advertisement is that you won't have to rely on decades old hardware anymore, apparently except for the thing that's most likely to be broken.

Overall it's just something I don't need or have interest in.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I prefer playing on original unmodded hardware.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I'm more of an original guy myself. I prefer original stuff, followed by slight alternations (RGB or flash carts), followed by add-ons (SS3, Coleco SGM, etc.), followed by replacement/emulation units. This is whatever to me now. I need to see the finished product.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I really don't understand the point to all these types of modern clone consoles. I already own consoles to play all the games I collect as I've been collecting for years, why would I need to buy another one along with modules?
    It's not for you. Other people purchase these consoles. That's who they're marketing them to.

I don't like sports or Call of Duty type games, but I understand why they put these games out.

If there's a market for something, people will try to capitalize on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    It's not for you. Other people purchase these consoles. That's who they're marketing them to.

I don't like sports or Call of Duty type games, but I understand why they put these games out.

If there's a market for something, people will try to capitalize on it.
    I just don't understand who the target market is for something like this. If you just want to play the games and not collect, you can use a modded Wii or Xbox, or other emulators(like MAME setups but for console games). But this is for people who go through the trouble of collecting the actual original games, but can't be bothered to collect the actual original consoles to play those games properly. This makes no sense to me. I get people buying flash carts to play games on original hardware, but this is the opposite of that. Are they hipsters?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gameguy For This Useful Post:

gbpxl (09-18-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I think it's more for the folk that want to relive their gaming past but not have to muck with getting a classic console to look great on an HD TV. Back when Gamestop started selling classic games in stores in the early 00's, I heard people get excited finding the old games of their youth and would grab a few choice titles and maybe a console. However, tube sets were still widely available so image quality or lag wasn't an issue. These days many new sets may not even have composite connections so they can't play a NES without some converter. These consoles fix that problem.

I see the appeal. I loved my Retron 5 until my TV blew and killed it. I never replaced it as my TV gaming time took a sharp drop not long after so I coukdn't justify the price.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Zero appeal for simply the cartridge system emulation, for this it's all about the CD-based systems. Neo Geo, Playstation, Saturn, Sega CD, TurboGrafx-CD from the 16/32-bit realm. Many people just simply hate emulating on a PC or tablet or whatever, I know I do. Now, there's issues here. Beyond the cost and performance questions, the larger question is compatibility. Will it work with flash carts? Beyond that, there's no rom/ISO loading at the moment, as the project team are in fear of being sued. That's a non-starter for me.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    I think it's more for the folk that want to relive their gaming past but not have to muck with getting a classic console to look great on an HD TV.
    I remember a time when people would own more than one television, not sure why people just want one TV now. If I had the room for a large collection of games, I would have room for a second TV. Nobody else in my family is into games, I wouldn't keep my collection around the main TV as that's not my private space. I would keep my collection separately so it's out of the way, and keep a TV by the games so it's more convenient than having to carry games across the house and I don't have to keep the main TV from being used by anyone else. I like Duck Hunt and other light gun games so I won't give up a real CRT TV.

I'll admit it's appealing to have a single console to play everything rather than needing to hook up a dozen different consoles. If it was cheap(like $30) without needing different modules, and could be hooked up to a SD TV with composite, I might consider one for some convenience. It helps that games can be installed to the system so you'll never need to pull out your cartridge games after playing them once, and I guess you could take it along to a friend's house. It's better than what the Retron did. Still it's just emulation and I could just use a modded Wii to do the same thing, considering the actual cost of this thing is hundreds of dollars plus extra for each expansion add-on. I believe the Wii can be modded to play Sega CD games and other CD based consoles so there are already other alternatives.

I'm actually nervous of modern unlicensed hardware as I keep thinking the connectors will damage the cartridges or the disc drives will scratch the discs. I just expect them to be cheaply made and I wouldn't want to risk my games by using them.

I'll also mention something I've experienced. A friend of mine just has an HD TV, and also a PS3. She downloaded several PS2 games from the online store. Even though this console is designed for HD and those games were purchased from the official online store, when played on an HD TV the PS2 games just look pixelated and ugly. The TV is what she has so I'll use it without complaints, but it's not exactly a pleasant experience I look forward to. Every time we play PS2 games it takes me time to get used to how it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    I see the appeal. I loved my Retron 5 until my TV blew and killed it. I never replaced it as my TV gaming time took a sharp drop not long after so I coukdn't justify the price.
    Are you sure it wasn't the other way around? That your Retron didn't kill your TV? I know the early releases of the Retron weren't exactly reliable.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The appeal is simple: Not everyone wants to have a bunch of CRT's and annoying wiring mechanisms, for the few times they actually sit back and play the old-school games in their collection. Flat screen HDTV's are cheap, and easy to mount, and as often pointed out - Without any modifications, old school consoles look like garbage on them.

It's why I've largely switched to pure emulation. I can have multiple flat screen TV's across the house, and with a centralized HTPC - Have access to all the games, in various locations. Just works out better. The polymega has zero appeal to me, because it's emulation based hardware. However, I will say that things like the NT Mini or Hi-Def NES, have me interested. There is a certain appeal of popping in a real cartridge, and sitting back to play it with a real NES joypad. Honestly, I think that's the wave of the future in terms of collecting. It gives legit reasons to keeping your old cartridges around, and even add to, or finish your collections.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mangar View Post
    The appeal is simple: Not everyone wants to have a bunch of CRT's and annoying wiring mechanisms, for the few times they actually sit back and play the old-school games in their collection. Flat screen HDTV's are cheap, and easy to mount, and as often pointed out - Without any modifications, old school consoles look like garbage on them.

It's why I've largely switched to pure emulation. I can have multiple flat screen TV's across the house, and with a centralized HTPC - Have access to all the games, in various locations. Just works out better. The polymega has zero appeal to me, because it's emulation based hardware. However, I will say that things like the NT Mini or Hi-Def NES, have me interested. There is a certain appeal of popping in a real cartridge, and sitting back to play it with a real NES joypad. Honestly, I think that's the wave of the future in terms of collecting. It gives legit reasons to keeping your old cartridges around, and even add to, or finish your collections.
    You say without modding they look like garbage but I beg to differ. I think all the consoles look great on HDTV when using an upscaler.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    You say without modding they look like garbage but I beg to differ. I think all the consoles look great on HDTV when using an upscaler.
    That's kind of my point. Without modification of some kind - They look like shit.

Even with an upscaler, you're still modifying your NES to use scart cables for optimum viewing.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

No scart. composite cables.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Just loving how some people are questioning why we'd need a clone console when you can just get the originals.

It seems like nobody has mentioned the possibility of this being a fix/replacement in case said original consoles break, or in case you have little kids around who you want to expose these consoles to but you don't want to risk the little troglodytes breaking your precious Saturn. Those possibilities came to my mind right off the bat.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

After experiencing the pile of shit Retron 5, SupaBoy, Retron HD, and even the NES Classic with its flaccid 2' long cord, I have to stick to the originals. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Just loving how some people are questioning why we'd need a clone console when you can just get the originals.

It seems like nobody has mentioned the possibility of this being a fix/replacement in case said original consoles break, or in case you have little kids around who you want to expose these consoles to but you don't want to risk the little troglodytes breaking your precious Saturn. Those possibilities came to my mind right off the bat.
    This. From lost DSes, lost DS games (but all found thankfully), broken controllers, my step kids are decent with my games but there is a layer of a lack of respect especially with the younger of the brood. One of my then soon to be step-sons almost threw one of my controllers in anger and I caught him in mid wind up, telling him he would be permanently banned from playing my systems if he followed through.