Thread: Collecting compromises

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Default Collecting compromises

Have you ever been able to get something you really want collecting, but had to compromise (cheaper variant, cart only, etc) due to money?

I have two examples, both from late 2011: my Sega SG-1000 and my Earthbound copy.

I got the SG-1000 Mark II, boxed w/all hookups in good condition for $233 (153 + 80 shipping from Kanazawa, Japan). SG-1000 Mark I's were going for $700 and up, some in the four figures. I plan on getting a Mark I a few years down the road but it's not the highest priority.

My Earthbound is cart-only, I think it was a rental mule. 100 bucks. Boxed copies in good shape were going for 400-500 or more.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

A near complete Turbografx missing the manual

A near complete Link to the Past missing the secret manual. Had to pay a lot for it later on so at least now it's fully complete

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

One time a few months ago.I was looking for a copy of the japanese version of soul star and i found it cheaper just buying the game disc only.Beside,when i was really buying for the neo-geo mvs i often settle for just loose carts since complete kits can really add up.Oddly enough though when i originally bought samurai shodown II and crossed swords loose,i was able to find there boxes&paperwork to complete them.Yes and it wasn't cheap either to do so.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 09-18-2018 at 01:02 AM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'd think only the richest of game collectors have never compromised.

I've got games, systems, and merch in all varying states of completeness and condition. In my dream world, everything I have would be complete and in mint condition (plus I would have the space for complete copies of everything), but I don't sweat it. It also can be satisfying piecing together complete copies later on. I mentioned in another topic recently that I got some gaming stuff from a crackhead's place years ago, and one of the things I found there was a manual for Beetle Adventure Racing on N64. By the strangest coincidence, I just so happened to have a copy of the game with the box and tray and everything BUT the manual. I mean, I could've just bought its manual on eBay or wherever for dirt cheap, but what an interesting way to end up with a CIB copy.

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I myself rarely hold out for complete, boxed items. Sure, I've picked up a few here and there in my travels, but if something's odd/rare enough, I'm more than willing to settle for loose items. Probably the best example of this is my Magnavox Odyssey. I don't have the box, but I have damn near everything else (well, except for the light gun for the Shooting Gallery ). Here's a picture of the collection, minus the overlays (which were too large to fit into the shot, but I have all of them in both sizes):