Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Now Sony's jumping on the bandwagon: the PlayStation Classic

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Polygon lists the "American 20" plus it also lists the "Japanese 20" which are included with the PlayStation Classic. Which line-up of games do you prefer?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I think the Japanese lineup is leagues better. It replaces most of the US version's releases I couldn't care less about with games that are worthwhile.

That said, even the Japanese version has some odd choices. It's true that the PS1 has a huge, diverse library and there's no way to capture everybody's top 20 exactly. For example, I would never expect them to include some of my obscure favorites like Tail Concerto and Rhapsody. But they couldn't even nail the most popular stuff among people who still play PS1 (or want to play PS1 games again). It seems like they picked some games based on which series are popular now (Persona, GTA, etc.) despite the fact that the original games aren't very well liked and others because they were popular back in the day, yet hardly anyone cares about them anymore (Cool Boarders 2, Destruction Derby, etc.).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie2B For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (10-31-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Sony must have been drunk to put battle arena toshinden on there id think soul blade would have been a better choice.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

At a bare minimum, if they were set on representing Battle Arena Toshinden, they should've gone with the second one, which is more popular and at least has a killer soundtrack. There are a number of games on there where they could've improved the assortment just by going with a different entry in the same series. It's strange because it seemed like they were trying to pursue the better regarded games when they went with Ridge Racer Type 4 and Tekken 3, and yet they then go with the first games for Toshinden, Twisted Metal, Syphon Filter, Persona, etc.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Yeah its like, theres only room enough for one really good game.
    Its an alright list but still kinda meh.
    Mr. Driller is awesome tho, thats solid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    According to this article, Sony is planning to release the PlayStation Classic on December 3rd. Like the NES and SNES Classic Mini, it's an HDMI-only plug-and-play console, offering 20 built-in games including Final Fantasy VII and Wild Arms. Can't say I'm entirely surprised to see Sony trying to get in on the action, given how crazy the whole situation's been with Nintendo's all-in-one offerings. Not sure these things will have quite the same following, but we shall see..........
    -Adam

Wait didn't Nintendo copy Atari , intellivision and Colecovision with these all in one mini consoles? Not sure why nintendo is getting credit for something THEY copied.

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hep038 View Post
    Wait didn't Nintendo copy Atari , intellivision and Colecovision with these all in one mini consoles? Not sure why nintendo is getting credit for something THEY copied.
    It's not the mini console concept I'm talking about, it's the name. AtGames uses the "Flashback" title for their mini consoles; Nintendo uses "Classic Edition" or "Classic Mini" for theirs. You'd think Sony would've been able to come up with a more original name for theirs, like "Retro". Big controversy, I know..........
    -Adam

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Others have already stated my opinion, first games in the series when future titles are considered some of the best games in the series and the lack of variety. Also though, there's a whole lot of corporate ass kissing imo. The US version is filled with Ubisoft, Namco Bandai, and Capcom of games that really don't deserve the list. Revelations Persona is only on the list because of how well Persona 5 has sold.

I feel they could make a better representation of the list by changing a few of the games to their sequels, removing GTA and adding Driver or Driver 2 instead, yes, also Ubisoft, but Driver was much bigger than GTA at the time, removing a lot of these kiss ass releases and actually replacing them with games that people consider are some of the greatest games on the system.

It's like Sony doesn't consider what's actually good, they just have a bunch of guys over at corporate looking at a bunch of overall sales numbers or at the time of release and who's a third party partner to them now. These people have no passion about video games. Just another bullet point for me to add on my "Sony is incompetent as fuq list."

I really think that Sony was just completely unprepared. They should have contacted Konami and Capcom for instance and asked them to not announce Castlevania Requim and Mega Man X Legacy Collection. Two games that really belong in the list, but can't be added because they've just been released.

The thing is, is that the PS1 has so many quality games is that anyone who's passionate about gaming could make a great list showing off a lot of Playstation history while also having an excellent collection, keeping the base structure of the list, my list might be completely different from another person's list who thinks that this will show whoever is interested in playing Playstation games that this is what it means to be a Playstation fan. Now, I don't even include a lot of my favorite games on the console, I'm including games that I think capture the essence of Playstation.

FF7
    Driver 2 (since a lot of people complained about the opening section, losers.)
    Intelligent Qube
    Jumping Flash
    MGS
    Oddworld Abe's Oddysee
    Rayman
    Resident Evil 2
    Dragon Warrior 7
    Gran Turismo 2
    Syphon Filter
    Tekken 3
    Wild ARMs
    Mega Man Legends 2
    Die Hard Trilogy
    Tomb Raider 2
    Wipeout 3
    Armored Core Master of Arena
    Star Ocean the Second Story
    Vandal Hearts

The only four games in this list that long time Playstation fans would say that they wouldn't consider these classics to the general public, because the games are niche, but here's my reasoning. Armored Core Master of Arena for instance. Armored Core is probably one of the most classic game franchises on this list and people just don't know it. Why do I say that? Well just look at what the most popular genre to play is today? The FPS and TPS genres with in game currency and character customization. Armored Core has all of that. You play a fast paced skill based shooter stage, after completing a stage you purchase equipment to outfit your mech to do more missions. Many games use that structure today and the Armored Core series has always been a really solid franchise.

I replaced Revelations Persona not with what I'd consider to be the best RPG on the system, but for another RPG series that is popular today. The difference is, is Revelations Persona while good is really on the lower half of the list compared to the vast amount of quality JRPGs the PS1 has, and Dragon Warrior 7 is not only amazing, it's the best game in the franchise. This title started on Nintendo consoles, but so did Final Fantasy 7, and Mr. Driller is on other consoles and has sequels that aren't even on Playstation, so how is that a PS Classic?

Then the final two are wild cards and there for variety. Star Ocean the Second Story and Vandal Hearts. This could have very well been Tales of Eternia and Front Mission 3, Arc the Lad 2, etc. The reason these two were included were both quality and variety though, and while imo it's a better choice, I myself wouldn't have included Final Fantasy Tactics since it's Final Fantasy. Yes these games are RPGs, and there's already three RPGs on the list, but Star Ocean the Second Story and Tales of Eternia are both action RPGs with gameplay heavily influenced by real time combat, while Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre(which I know a lot of people would have hated due to its difficulty,) Final Fantasy Tactics, etc, etc, etc, I included because TRPGs.

Another game I didn't put on my list but I really do think it belongs there, is King's Field 2(the US version.) Just like Armored Core, a few above it's another niche title, but there's a few reasonings behind this one. From Software(who also developed Armored Core) has always been niche but have always been seen a more Playstation developer over others. The entire concept of Demon's Souls was because Sony Japan requested them to co develop a spiritual successor to the King's Field series. This was also the first "Elder Scrolls like" open world game on consoles. This is like pre-everything-on-PS4-has-to-be-open-world. But I didn't include it in the list I made because I can see people not liking this game. Extremely difficult, very hard to find where to go, kinda slow, etc. I prefer the first US released King's Field the best personally, but I think this one captures open world better.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Ok I just saw the official list of games and thought I'd chime in. First of all, the list is disappointing. I was hoping to see at least 1 Crash Bandicoot and 1 Spyro, but both were missing. Secondly, if they were going for nostalgia, I don't know how many people are feeling nostalgiac for GTA1, Syphon Filter, and Mr Driller.

Props to them for including Jumping Flash because it's an excellent game which is hard to find. Intelligent Qube is another sought after title which is spendy.

They really could have included some titles that made the system popular in the first place...

Parappa the Rapper
    Warhawk
    Ridge Racer 1
    ESPN Extreme Games
    Medievil
    Gran Turismo
    Wipeout

Could probably think of a lot more but some of the games they chose are real head scratchers

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I can't be the only person whose interest in these kinds of things is predicated on "it'll make it easy to get certain hard-to-find titles again" can it?

In that regard... well, Revelations: Persona is the most interesting title on here, though I've heard the PS1 US release had an incredibly butchered translation, so it might be better to go for the PSP version.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm the same. If I ever get a SNES Classic, it would be for Earthbound and Star Fox 2. If I already have a game, its inclusion is no selling point to me, and since I prefer physical over digital, if physical copies are cheap enough, I'd just go that route. So for me to care about these throwback plug-and-plays, they need to have games that are both not already in my collection and difficult/pricey to acquire. So Intelligent Qube is probably the most enticing game this collection offers me (since I already have Persona).

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

"Not Actual Gameplay"
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Last week I had the chance to see more information of the PSClassic and I have to say it is better than I thought at first glance. Licensing a good emulator was a really nice move and I hope it shows the competition that this is the only way to go, using all the expertise gained from years of hard work of more people constructing a working emulator and not just stealing or violating free use licenses.

The game selection is good, this is the topic where we can have a favorites list and agree / disagree about it, but would be a subject of long discussions and in the end the opinions would be a bit different. From a global perspective, it has all the games that represent most genres and of course there are surprises but not bad at all.

Of the games we all agree should be on the list is Castlevania SotN, hard to get because Konami is selling the game. Rockman games I think are not as PSX representative, are actually an actual product from CAPCOM. Gran Turismo should be hard to renew the car manufacturers licenses. Crash Bandicoot the same, the IP is being used by the owner. I would have added Tomb Raider because it is a game I first played it on PC but in some way consider it very representative PSX game. On RPGs I can't complain, FF7 is a must have on the list and Revelations: Persona is a really great addition, very obscure in that days but quite popular today. The english localization is shitty, the PSP port is better, but even this way, it is good to have it on the list.

Battle Arena Toshinden. Represents the 3D fighting genre on the PSX.
    Cool Boarders 2. Popular, not great.
    Destruction Derby. Good.
    Final Fantasy VII. Must have.
    Grand Theft Auto. Very popular name.
    Intelligent Qube. Incredibly good game, quite strange selection.
    Jumping Flash. Great game, very PSX representative.
    Metal Gear Solid. Must have.
    Mr Driller. Not bad. Strange selection.
    Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee. Good game, representative of the brand.
    Rayman. Good game, recognizable.
    Resident Evil Director’s Cut. Must have.
    Revelations: Persona. Great selection, obscure but recognizable name.
    Ridge Racer Type 4. GREAT GAME.
    Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo. GREAT GAME, strange selection.
    Syphon Filter. Not bad.
    Tekken 3. MUST HAVE.
    Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six. MEHHHH
    Twisted Metal. Good game, very recognizable on the PS brand.
    Wild Arms. Great game, very representative.

Bless you, guys. Will consider a purchase.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

It turns out around half of the games are the PAL versions, for some bizarre reason: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018...-ultimate-faq/

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Should PAL even matter? HDMI doesn't care.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

It shouldn't matter in that they should give European buyers the superior US versions of the games on their European PlayStation Classic. Modern European TVs will have no problem with them.

It does matter when Sony is giving both Europeans and Americans the PAL versions of the games for no good reason, considering the PAL versions run worse/slower.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Perhaps those games are the PAL variants so that the games will have EFIGS language support (English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish)? Nonetheless, I'm sure that 50 versus 60 fields-per-second will matter the most in the action games.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Unfortunately, the PAL versions are basically nothing but action games. It's gonna really hurt for the fighting and racing games.

I have no idea what kind of language support the PAL versions may have. If they do have EFIGS support, I could see that as reason to keep them in the European lineup. There's no reason to keep them in the North American lineup unless they're prioritizing gamers from Quebec and Latin America. Even then, though, it wouldn't make much sense because the games with the biggest language barriers are still English-only. Final Fantasy VII and Wild Arms both had PAL releases, and while I don't know if Wild Arms was localized into anything but English, Final Fantasy VII was definitely localized into other European languages (as notoriously bad as some of those localizations may be).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    It turns out around half of the games are the PAL versions, for some bizarre reason: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018...-ultimate-faq/
    Ohhh FUCK.

This is a really stupid decision
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I wonder if this is the reason a few of the early reviewers complained about "lag" or emulation slowdown?