Thread: I'm a horrible curator. What has gone "missing" from your collection?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Default I'm a horrible curator. What has gone "missing" from your collection?

My son has been wanting to play Star Wars Battlefront on PS2, so I finally got it out and hooked everything up only to find I no longer have any Dual Shock 2 controllers. "No big deal," I think, since they are barely different from the DS1, of which I have about 20. Only to find out Battlefront requires the DS2. I've looked just about everywhere, and the only thing I can think is that I included DS2s whenever I sold extra PS2s and didn't notice, since I wasn't actively playing anything PS2 at the time.

I suspect I've done similar with N64 Goldeneye and NES Metroid (gray), Fester's Quest, and a couple others. There have been other items that have been so thoroughly misplaced that I've been shocked to discover them long after I'd written them off. Mario Paint is a good example there, as I needed to test an extra mouse, but couldn't find the game at all. Just found it in a box of misc. stuff that I had no memory of at all. I blame cleaning up, never a good idea cause I can never find anything after.

So what items from your collection have gone "missing" in one way or another?

I did a little (very little) looking, and didn't see this topic covered anywhere, but point me there if you know of it.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

My collection is almost entirely united in one place now, but I used to have a heck of a time trying to remember if something was at my home or at my mom's house on the opposite end of the country. One time I had convinced myself that my brother-in-law had borrowed a game only to discover later that it was at my mom's all along.

One thing that's still eluding me is my Drill Dozer box. I got a nice huge CD tower a while ago, and I loaded it up with everything with similar dimensions, including my boxed Virtual Boy, GBC, and GBA games. But I still haven't been able to get Drill Dozer on there. I know it's not permanently gone or anything, but it's probably inside another box, buried in a closet.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie2B For This Useful Post:

Cornelius (09-24-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    One thing that's still eluding me is my Drill Dozer box.
    You've gotta be kidding me...
    I had a quick thought at this thread and was like "eh, no I've never lost anything."
    I've had a couple items stolen over the years, and maybe twice I've discovered that I have a duplicate of something that I'd forgotten about.
    At least since the mid-00s I've maintained a spreadsheet inventory of my collection and I've kept items in storage well grouped and labeled.

But you reminded me, the one thing I've lost - and which I've thoroughly looked for - unpacking boxes and resorting things etc on a number of occasions, but have no idea where it went...
    ...is my Drill Dozer cart. I haven't seen it in at least a handful of years.
    So I have the box and manual, mint. I can't give em up though as I'm sure the cart will appear someday, like in a box of 5200 games or somewhere completely nonsensical.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

All of Killer Instinct except 'Killer Cuts'

Mega Man X2 that I was given for my birthday in whatever year it released (sad face)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Hah, to continue the coincidental back-and-forth of this topic, I just remembered that I used to have no part of Killer Instinct except for Killer Cuts, but I have no idea what happened to that CD. However, sometime in the 00s, there were a whole bunch of sealed copies of Killer Instinct sold on eBay for dirt cheap, so I got another copy of Killer Cuts, plus everything else with it, that way. In all the years since, the first copy of Killer Cuts still hasn't reemerged.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

I have shit all over the house in different rooms. I occasionally forget that I own a certain game because I forgot which box/room it's in.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

One thing that comes to mibd is that I had a Tomy Stereo 3D game called "Planet Xeon". The game kinda looked like a pair of binoculars, but the front was curved like the bow of a boat. A white piece of plastic was on top that let light in to allow you to see. It was a neat 3D effect and it was a challenging game.

I packed it away but afterwards I couldn't find it. No idea what happened to it.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I haven't been able to find my Super Video Arcade (aka Sears Inellivision) since before I moved into the house before the one I am in now. so that's like 10 years?
    the voice module should be with it as well. And I cant remember if the Colecovision is with it or if I sold that before I moved

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Off the top of my head I lost my circle of the moon for gba. Only logical conclusion I can think is that because of the very small size of gba carts, it fell off a table and then was just swept up with debris on the floor one day.

Other than that I had like 5 opportunities to take a few lose nes games, controllers, odds and ends from my parents house over the past ten years and sure enough my mom got rid of the stuff. I dont really blame her and almost everything I had left there were commons or doubles.

I guess some lucky person got a nice goodwill find one day.