Thread: Thoughts about All of These "Classic" Mini Console Releases and Similar (NES, SNES, Genesis, NEOGEO, PS1, C64, Atari "VCS,"etc.)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Thoughts about All of These "Classic" Mini Console Releases and Similar (NES, SNES, Genesis, NEOGEO, PS1, C64, Atari "VCS,"etc.)

In the last few years, Nintendo found big demand for NES Classic Edition and SNES Classic Edition. The news stories about the high demand inspired other companies to release new all-in-one consoles which are basically machines running Linux and emulators alongside some included ROM's and shells that make the consoles and controllers look like tiny recreations of the originals. What are your thoughts about this? What do you specifically think of the game line-ups which are included, the controllers, and the limitations and missed opportunities presented not just by Nintendo's efforts, but also those of the other companies with their mini consoles and computers?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I just like playing stuff on the original console but I did buy an NES mini because it's cheaper to do that than buy all 3o of those games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

personally, i think its good overall. I only have the snes classic and luckily was able to hack it before nintendo intevened with the major rom sites. so i have about 80 or so games on the snes classic including some extremely expensive games that i could never afford in a physical collection...wild guns...

these mini consoles will never replace my physical carts but its nice to have

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I agree with ncman. I personally only have the SNES mini, and have a PS1 mini pre-ordered. I think they are cool collectibles and make a convenient way to play some of the classics. Yeah you could always hack a PSP or something, but there is something nice about having mini versions of the consoles, especially if you are a fan of any particular system. It also helps that these games are "official" releases rather than just ROMs downloaded onto a PC or what have you.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I think they're nice for people who have either never played these systems or long ago got rid of them, but they have limited appeal for retro gamers and collectors who already have all the games. I've yet to buy any of them myself. The SNES Classic tempts me a little, since I don't own Earthbound and Star Fox 2 is a cool addition, but $80 is a lot to drop when I already have the vast majority of the games on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've pared down my collection quite a bit a systems like the SNES and NES mini scratch that retro gaming itch.

The controls are essentially authentic, which is practically half of the experience right there. I never could play the classic console games on my Xbox, Ouya, Wii or PC as the controls were way different. I got better scores using the "original" controller as opposed to not. It "feels" right.

Emulation is another matter and Nintendo's offerings does it in spades. Other than changes to prevent epileptic seizures, I really can't tell a difference between games I know very well on the original console or the mini. No lag, no weird timing in music-all good.

So as long as other companies approach their mini systems with the same quality as Nintendo (*cough* Sega*cough* At Games*kaff!*), retro gamers should have some great choices to get their game on without breaking the bank.