Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Intellivision Amico Console announced - Hundreds of millions of sprites. Superior 2D than PS4 or PS5

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I think history will remember the Intellivision Amico along the same lines as it remembers the Ouya and the Phantom consoles. If it gets released, then it will be remembered like the Ouya with its digital-only game store. If it doesn't get released, then it will be remembered like the Phantom and its non-existent game library.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

The Earthworm Jim thread reminded me of this, but I've heard that one of the original devs is trying to revive a canceled Genesis X-Men game(X-Women) on the Amico.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Remember, you can't spell Nintendo Famicom without Amico! ;-)

Seriously though, my attention was returned to the Amico - which is being designed by "new Intellivision" - thanks to the videos they have been posting recently on their YouTube Intellivision channel. They are sending some really mixed messages via this medium and wherever else they are re-posting these videos. On the one hand, they are claiming to be for casual gamers and local multiplayer. But their videos with their "tension-inducing music" seem to be aiming these ads and updates more at the hardcore gamer crowd with the percussion-driven, heavy musical tracks and the "We'll show you all!" attitude. Where's the emphasis on single player gaming? I spent a lot more of my time with solo gameplay than multiplayer back in the 80's & 90's and even today, and I know I'm not the only one. However while their emphasis is on local multiplayer, the videos they have shown so far of their games and remakes seem to confusingly only show single player gameplay with no multi-player footage. I understand they have a lot to prove, but I think if they want casual gamers to buy the Amico then their videos should be more like the classic Nintendo Wii advertisements from 2006 through 2009.

It seems like modern Intellivision - lead by Tommy Tallarico - is going for a combination of Nintendo's Wii with the "casual console" and Apple's classic iPod with the "simple controller" (though it is obviously also inspired by the Intellivision controller's design) for the Amico. Their goal seems for the Amico to be as accessible and popular as either one or preferably both devices. But with the Amico's Internet access requirements for purchases as well as a credit card or debit card or gift card just to be able to buy games by downloading them (even if it will work offline after the games are downloaded), I've got to wonder if it will really be enough to make the world care. It's not like physical copies of games will be sitting on store shelves to act as a form of advertising or marketing for the thing, and look at how quickly "everyone" forgot about the Ouya without physical games on the shelves to remind them. Heck, look at the money and advertising that Sony put behind the PlayStation Vita, and yet without lots of physical games sitting on retail shelves to remind people that it is still alive and getting new games, most people figured the Vita (ironically meaning "life") was dead long ago.

The reasons the Nintendo Wii was so popular for casual gaming might have been in small part thanks to a simple controller and motion controls and accessible games and local multiplayer and the "lack of DLC and in-app purchases" (although those actually existed on the Wii in a limited capacity), but the main reason was that the "smart phone revolution" where everyone had a phone that was good enough to play Wii-quality games or better hadn't happened yet... but did a few short years later, "killing" off the Wii when the general public all had smart phones and were bored of motion controlled-games. Granted, the Wii didn't really die off until Just Dance 2020 was released as the final Wii game on November 5th, 2019, but most Wii players (not counting retro gamers) had moved away from the Wii sometime around 2010.

It would be nice to play some Imagic, Atari, and Intellivision remakes, though, such as Tempest, Centipede, Adventure, Miner 2049'er, Moon Patrol, Yars' Revenge, and Thin Ice. Thankfully most of those have been announced for the Amico even if Thin Ice has not. (Thin Ice was so much fun and one of my favorite Intellivision games, so it really deserves a remake - if nothing else, please at least pay attention to that important last point, new Intellivision! ;-)) However, as some or all of these will probably be ported to PC or consoles eventually, we can likely purchase them gradually via, say, Steam in the next few years without an Intellivision Amico. And ironically, if that happens, we'll be able to play them with Steam's Remote Play Together to play local co-operative and competitive games with the local multiplayer portions both offline *and* online contrary to only on a couch or chairs in the same room as the Amico's designers envisioned.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Remember, you can't spell Nintendo Famicom without Amico! ;-)

Seriously though, my attention was returned to the Amico - which is being designed by "new Intellivision" - thanks to the videos they have been posting recently on their YouTube Intellivision channel. They are sending some really mixed messages via this medium and wherever else they are re-posting these videos. On the one hand, they are claiming to be for casual gamers and local multiplayer. But their videos with their "tension-inducing music" seem to be aiming these ads and updates more at the hardcore gamer crowd with the percussion-driven, heavy musical tracks and the "We'll show you all!" attitude. Where's the emphasis on single player gaming? I spent a lot more of my time with solo gameplay than multiplayer back in the 80's & 90's and even today, and I know I'm not the only one. However while their emphasis is on local multiplayer, the videos they have shown so far of their games and remakes seem to confusingly only show single player gameplay with no multi-player footage. I understand they have a lot to prove, but I think if they want casual gamers to buy the Amico then their videos should be more like the classic Nintendo Wii advertisements from 2006 through 2009.

It seems like modern Intellivision - lead by Tommy Tallarico - is going for a combination of Nintendo's Wii with the "casual console" and Apple's classic iPod with the "simple controller" (though it is obviously also inspired by the Intellivision controller's design) for the Amico. Their goal seems for the Amico to be as accessible and popular as either one or preferably both devices. But with the Amico's Internet access requirements for purchases as well as a credit card or debit card or gift card just to be able to buy games by downloading them (even if it will work offline after the games are downloaded), I've got to wonder if it will really be enough to make the world care. It's not like physical copies of games will be sitting on store shelves to act as a form of advertising or marketing for the thing, and look at how quickly "everyone" forgot about the Ouya without physical games on the shelves to remind them. Heck, look at the money and advertising that Sony put behind the PlayStation Vita, and yet without lots of physical games sitting on retail shelves to remind people that it is still alive and getting new games, most people figured the Vita (ironically meaning "life") was dead long ago.

The reasons the Nintendo Wii was so popular for casual gaming might have been in small part thanks to a simple controller and motion controls and accessible games and local multiplayer and the "lack of DLC and in-app purchases" (although those actually existed on the Wii in a limited capacity), but the main reason was that the "smart phone revolution" where everyone had a phone that was good enough to play Wii-quality games or better hadn't happened yet... but did a few short years later, "killing" off the Wii when the general public all had smart phones and were bored of motion controlled-games. Granted, the Wii didn't really die off until Just Dance 2020 was released as the final Wii game on November 5th, 2019, but most Wii players (not counting retro gamers) had moved away from the Wii sometime around 2010.

It would be nice to play some Imagic, Atari, and Intellivision remakes, though, such as Tempest, Centipede, Adventure, Miner 2049'er, Moon Patrol, Yars' Revenge, and Thin Ice. Thankfully most of those have been announced for the Amico even if Thin Ice has not. (Thin Ice was so much fun and one of my favorite Intellivision games, so it really deserves a remake - if nothing else, please at least pay attention to that important last point, new Intellivision! ;-)) However, as some or all of these will probably be ported to PC or consoles eventually, we can likely purchase them gradually via, say, Steam in the next few years without an Intellivision Amico. And ironically, if that happens, we'll be able to play them with Steam's Remote Play Together to play local co-operative and competitive games with the local multiplayer portions both offline *and* online contrary to only on a couch or chairs in the same room as the Amico's designers envisioned.
    I never thought about the "physical games on store shelves to remind people that a console is alive" aspect before

Anyways Im kinda like you in that I too just want a single player experience. And I probably sound like a broken record by now buy all I ask for is a console that I can walk into a store and purchase brand new with cash, go home, and set it up and be able to play the games 100% without ever accessing the internet. Currently, I can only do that with the mini consoles, 1up arcade machines, and the plug and play handheld things, but not a fully fledged brand new console with brand new games.

Developers need to realize that not everyone has Wi Fi either due to choice or financial restraints or both. Personally, the less data that companies have on me and the less they can watch me playing a game, the better

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Re-reading my last post, it sounds like the Amico will deliver on all those things. After watching the interviews of Tallarico by ReviewTechUSA, I am fully on board woth the Amico. His story is the classic about immigrants comi g here with nothing and the third generation grandchild (Tommy) going from nothing to being a multi millionaire. and he is a gamer through and through, really a treasure to the gaming industry/community

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Sounds like something Tallarico would say about himself, minus the usual Steven Tyler name-dropping.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

The release day for the Amico has been changed from October 2020 to April 15th, 2021.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Is anyone planning on getting an Amico?

I applaud more competition but I don't know what I would be gaining if I already own a Switch. I will see what the exclusives are and I want to know how dependent the tech will be on internet updates and connections. It always comes down to whether or not the exclusives are worth going out of your way to play

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I dunno. I like the passion behind it, but Ouya also had passion behind it as well. I see these games and I'm not sure what audience it's targeted at.

The current start up reminds me of my kids' V Smile. The games, while I'm sure are tight, they just seem like games we can get on practically any device.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have one preordered, but I am skeptical that they are going to make the April 2021 date at this point. It sounds like they still haven't finalized the final hardware design because they can't get together in person (not sure why personal interaction would be required for engineering given some of the places I have worked and seen some very complex devices designed without anyone even being in the same country, but who knows.). I also remain concerned that there will be no truly physical games and that there is a required Internet connection to at least authorize every new game you purchase.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I saw display ads for these Intellivision Amico consoles at GameStop. The price is flabbergasting. $249.99 for "Glacier White" or "Graphite Black" or $299.99 for the GameStop-exclusive "Intellivision Amico Galaxy Purple Limited Edition." Even the store's manager didn't know what these things were - I had to educate him. Now that's not to say that this is a clueless guy - I know the man personally and he's well aware of the modern gaming scene. However, according to him, the single printed advertisement for these consoles plus the entries in the GameStop computers for pre-orders are literally all that the employees know about the Amico.

$250 gets an Intellivision Amico console, 2 wireless controllers, 2 wrist lanyards, 1 power adapter, and 1 HDMI cable.

By the way, that GameStop-exclusive limited edition Intellivision Amico is $300 thanks to it including (in addition to the usual things) a $25 "Golden Ticket" Game Card and "six premium games: Astrosmash, Shark! Shark!, Skiing, Cornhole, Farkle, and a soon-to-be-announced sixth game."

However, the marketing is a bit confounding as some of it seems to indicate that the regular edition and the limited edition both include the 6 premium games. I guess I just can't be sure if it is for all consoles or just the limited edition at this time. Anyone here know for certain?

None of these consoles are going to be normally stocked by any GameStop on the shelves. See, the Intellivision Amicos are only being sold as pre-orders. The regular editions must be pre-ordered for $50. The GameStop-exclusive limited edition, however, can be pre-ordered for only 1¢! (No, I am not joking, the manager confirmed this.) The rest of the price(s) are payable at the register at or after launch.

Intellivision Amico, now launching 10/10/2021!

Source: https://www.gamestop.com/search/?q=amico

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I still think about the console. Even though I've been playing in some modern game waters lately on PC, I'm still a console boy. Probably because I work on fixing computers for a living. Amico looks like it can be a lot of fun, but gor ME I can't justify it for, well, ME.

1-How much are extra controllers? I have, not counting myself, 9 potential gamers that might play this. Unlike what seems like the norm, only one out of that bunch has a smart device (a screen busted hand-me-down from their sibling's boss to play Among Us). I have a Samsung Galaxy J3 in a drawer I got for $2 and my own S8, but I'm not big on complete touch screen control.

2-Will the games entice my kids to play? They are Nintendo kids with occasional bouts of Xbox and lately freebie game play on PCs (I get recycled laptops I fix back up for online schooling and play for the kids). Not sure if it'd be worth it, though the learning stuff might be good for my younger kids-their dang V Smile is not that stable a system.

3 When would I play it? If I got it for me-not sure when I'd play it. So it'd probably just sit. The wife isn't big into games and she has bias against them. I tried getting her into Wii but she couldn't wrap her brain around the not-so-exact motions of bowling. Very much a "do the real thing" kind of person

The system excites me. Something new and different than the Mario machine or the Fortnite/Call of Duty/whatever is hip on Xbox or Playstation. But in this life, I don't think I could justify it. I'd have to play it at work, but for what it's all about (playing together) that'd be like doing karaoke by yourself. Which isn't fun. I tried.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

any game console that fails to have broad appeal and a large install base is a dumpster fire.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    By the way, that GameStop-exclusive limited edition Intellivision Amico is $300 thanks to it including (in addition to the usual things) a $25 "Golden Ticket" Game Card and "six premium games: Astrosmash, Shark! Shark!, Skiing, Cornhole, Farkle, and a soon-to-be-announced sixth game."
    I don't like the sound of that game.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

This is now a full-on mess. Tommy has stepped down as CEO though remains with the company. Phil Adam, the poor bloke roped into the Coleco Chameleon, is now in charge of this train wreck. They are seeking $5 million in funds from StartEngine, which is still not enough. They also seek $5 million from a "Regulation D model," whatever that is. The company cannot explain $1.35 million paid to Chinese manufacturer Ark Electronics USA, which never delivered hardware. They owe some investor $800K, due end of last year, which already would have been a $100 sunk cost on every unit they sold. Long term debt is over $7 million, and they recently floated selling games as NFT's to which people's heads exploded. Tommy ripped Atari Age members, and the Amico forum was abruptly removed nearly 2 months ago. They also re-incorporated to Delaware, I presume in advance of a bankruptcy filing as the courts are more lenient there to companies.

https://www.ign.com/articles/intelli...ico-steps-down

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/...ast-past-july/
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    This is now a full-on mess. Tommy has stepped down as CEO though remains with the company. Phil Adam, the poor bloke roped into the Coleco Chameleon, is now in charge of this train wreck. They are seeking $5 million in funds from StartEngine, which is still not enough. They also seek $5 million from a "Regulation D model," whatever that is. The company cannot explain $1.35 million paid to Chinese manufacturer Ark Electronics USA, which never delivered hardware. They owe some investor $800K, due end of last year, which already would have been a $100 sunk cost on every unit they sold. Long term debt is over $7 million, and they recently floated selling games as NFT's to which people's heads exploded. Tommy ripped Atari Age members, and the Amico forum was abruptly removed nearly 2 months ago. They also re-incorporated to Delaware, I presume in advance of a bankruptcy filing as the courts are more lenient there to companies.

https://www.ign.com/articles/intelli...ico-steps-down

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/...ast-past-july/
    Can you say dead on arrival i wasn't excited for the amico anyways.Still any time any one tries to offer a alternative to modern consoles seems to be doomed every time.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

If they need more funds, maybe they can get Mike Kennedy as an investor? He has experience with console development and I'm sure he has plenty of free time now.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I'd say this shitbiscuit has a 15% chance of ever seeing the light of day.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I’ll see your bet on 15%, and raise for it to be 0%.

Why do fools back these goofy consoles? I didn’t even think that the Atari VCS would ever see the light of day, and though it is now out, this 2600 kid has no interest in paying $300 to play emulated games from my youth.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamevet For This Useful Post:

WelcomeToTheNextLevel (02-16-2022)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Anyone who remembers the Ouya should have seen this coming a mile away, and that console actually released before dying quickly.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to JSoup For This Useful Post:

WelcomeToTheNextLevel (02-16-2022)