Thread: final fantasy legend

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default final fantasy legend

Any fans of this trilogy for the game boy?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I haven't played the third yet, but I've beaten and enjoyed the first two. The first one I've had since Sunsoft re-released the trilogy, but I always got stuck in the post-apocalyptic world. I didn't finally beat it until around the mid 2000s. The second game I've only had since last Christmas and beat earlier this year. The second is better, on a technical level, in just about every way than the first, but I still prefer the first because it has such an interesting, strange world and haunting atmosphere. I'm eager to start the third sometime too, even though it's not very SaGa-ish. I'm also a fan of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, which has a lot in common with FFL3, including the composer, and the music of FFMQ is the biggest reason I like it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I was back in the day and finished the first two, barely started the third which I preferred yet never got to play it annoyingly. The first two would be a lot better if your gear didn't all break after X uses which is inventory wasting infuriating. FFL3 did not do this.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I finished and actually liked the first one, though the ending kinda irked me.

The second I never beat--I remember getting to this one boss fight I couldn't overcome and just kinda losing interest, and this was decades ago.

The third I never really started on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I absolutely Love the original Final Fantasy Legend from the moody music to the awesome monster designs. I like the monster meat idea and the even the roulette spell system for the mutants. I have a ridiculous amount of special memories tied to the game. In hindsight I can see many faults with the original game, but I loved it then and still love it. Although I'm not sure if I could get into it these days had I not played it as a child.

Each installment got more impressive coding, graphics and effects wise. Final Fantasy Legend II has some great graphics and I liked how the robots were similar to monsters in the original and you could salvage and outfit them with other parts. My memory is fuzzy but I remember the story revolves around getting these orbs of magic and I remember being able to equip and use them once collected. It certainly has a more fleshed out story than the first game, but the music never stuck with me and a lot of the monster designs were a step down in my opinion. It was good but i didn't enjoy it as much as the first.

FF Legend III I have never been able to get into. I remember it looking the best out of all of them and the time travel recovery aspect I thought was awesome. But I could never get very far in the game. I don't remember caring for the music, but I absolutely HATED the character/ monster designs. Where as FFL I they were usually pretty cool, dark and serious in part III they just got real goofy and I couldn't get into the game.

So as each installment got technically more impressive I, unfortunately, enjoyed each on less.

The first Final Fantasy Legend was remade for the Bandai Wonder Swan and I would love to play it some day. I have never looked into it but I wonder if there is a translation patch for it?
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    The second is better, on a technical level, in just about every way than the first, but I still prefer the first because it has such an interesting, strange world and haunting atmosphere.
    This mirrors my sentiment also. Well said and in much fewer words than I could. Its nice to see im not the only one that feels this way. One of my friends liked each installment more than the last and when I tried to explain to him why I liked the first so much he just didn't understand. To each their own I suppose.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I couldn't speak for the quality of it, but apparently the Wonderswan remake did get a fan patch: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1614/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie2B For This Useful Post:

Wraith Storm (12-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I couldn't speak for the quality of it, but apparently the Wonderswan remake did get a fan patch: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1614/
    WOW! That looks great. Thanks a bunch. I figured the likelihood of a translation patch was relatively low. Glad to see I was wrong!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I've played the original Final Fantasy Legend on emulator, but this was after playing the second and third game. Between the high difficulty at the beginning and the limited amount of deaths before characters are permadeath, I played it maybe 30 minutes before quitting. Based on my experience of the first game, Final Fantasy Legend is similar to games like Lufia, Arc the Lad, Twisted Metal, etc, where the first game isn't bad but not all that, while the second one is like night and day excellent in terms of quality, but again, this is just a very limited time playing the game, so I'm not going to act like I know anything about the game just than that limited preview and my perception.

Final Fantasy Legend 2 and 3 though are both great games, but they're also both completely different. The third couldn't really be any more different from the rest of the series, simply because it's just a standard RPG. They could have named this the next mainline Final Fantasy and no one would have known the difference.

Final Fantasy Legend 2 starts off with you choosing your characters gender and/or races. Human characters can't learn any magic spells and they have a higher percentage of stat increases. This allows for them to have multiple weapons and a full set of equipment. The male characters have a higher percentage of strength increases, while the female characters have higher agility. Halfo f the mutants inventory space will gradually be filled with spells and periodically one of those spells will change to another random spell/weakness/strength. Monsters gain no stats, but each creature you kill has a potential to drop some meat, allowing them to change into another monster. Robot stats only increase through equipment and any piece of equipment has its durability reduced in half, but once durability hits 0, it restores fully when resting at an inn. Guns are relatively expensive, but powerful, in the hands of robots, you have unlimited uses and can get rid of them once their usefulness starts to wear out instead of once durability hits 0.

Unlike future titles where SaGa is more a small open world where you search out quests and events, the original SaGa games were lengthy adventures, and with Final Fantasy Legend 2 you travelled through different worlds reclaiming all of the stolen magi. It feels like a really large game, but consolidated, because it's not difficult to find where to go, as you resolve the issue in the area you're at, get some magi, and then move to the next world. Much like many past RPGs, it felt that gameplay and exploration were put above storyline and that the storyline wasn't shoved down our throats and made it better as well, because every single area you went through you explored dungeons, picked up weapons, items, armor upgrades, etc. There's one dungeon that the magi is at the very beginning of the dungeon and you don't even need to explore at all, but if you do you get a lot of rare equipment and weapons. The game also has a rare enemy at the end of the game called the Haniwa who has a ridiculously low drop rate for a weapon called Seven Sword. I've only acquired it once.

//

Final Fantasy Legend 3 is your more traditional Final Fantasy. You gain level ups, you purchase spells. It actually feels a bit too by the numbers, but it's a good game. Now, every single character can purchase spells, but you have two characters who are melee characters and you have two characters who weak damage much more powerful in the magic department.

So with different spells you can explore underwater, make your way across land by the use of float spell, and t hen have more access to areas through the use of an airship. As you progress you get new weapons and spells to purchase, and you'll also find these earth, fire, wind, and water shards. Combining these shards together later in the game allows you to get otherwise unobtainable equipment and spells, while end game you'll also find legendary equipment.

If you're one who likes RPGs but you didn't like Final Fantasy Legend 2, you should still try Legend 3 because it has none of the mechanics that game did, but if you did like Final Fantasy Legend 2, you might be disappointed of Legend 3 being a completely different style of game.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.