Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What modern games will be collectible in the future?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default What modern games will be collectible in the future?

I'm not up to speed on the new stuff but I have a few predictions and maybe some of you can tell me if I am right or wrong.

What will be valuable:
    -unopened first print Amiibos
    -limited edition games
    -Limited Run games
    - Switch games
    Can't think of much else

What won't be valuable:
    - Xbox One games
    - Many PS4 games
    -any online only game
    - the cash grab "mini" consoles they're making
    - all the clone consoles except maybe the AVS

Are these games still going to be playable in the future? What if 20 years from now, you're required to update the games to play them, but the servers are long gone that you'd normally connect to for Xbox one and PS4? They will become conversation pieces, nothing more

I see most of what is being made today as being obsolete in 10 years. We can still play Atari 2600 carts because they were so accessible but the same can't be said for new games

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

What does value have to do with being collectible? I understand that some people want expensive games, but most people collect games because well... they like the hobby, not because x game is so expensive. The only games that aren't and won't be playable on the PS4 are the online only games, Switch has those too, and what Switch also has is games like Mega Man Legacy Collection, X Legacy Collection, and many others where only one half of the game is ion the cart and the rest has to be downloaded as an update file. In terms of actually being able to play the games in the future, I think the PS4 has a lot more going for it than the Switch does in that respect.

When it comes to value, you really have no idea what is going to be valuable. Suikoden 2 was never hard to find cheap before it went out of print. There was more than enough stock and it could be found everyone for $20, look at the game now, one of the most sought and expensive titles of that console. Earthbound was in bins at Walmart, that game isn't cheap anymore either.

You never know, Dragon Quest Heroes, DQH2, DQB, Fire Pro Wrestling, Yakuza 0, Kiwami, Fist of the North Star, and a myriad of other games that are good could become super expensive. It always tends to be games that fly under the radar and then people decide to get them at a future date that the more expensive, while the overhyped games such as your Uncharted', Forza, Halo games, etc are the ones that are really cheap.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I can't say I remember ever seeing Suikoden 2 on markdown. I remember seeing it at full price and then not at all later on, not even among used games, and I was pretty obsessive in my hunt for cheap PS1 RPGs back then.

I imagine the games from this gen that'll end up valuable will be similar to previous gens. RPGs, shmups, and horror games are a few genres to watch out for. But not just any games in those genres. It's gotta be ones that get relatively small print runs and go under the radar.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I can't say I remember ever seeing Suikoden 2 on markdown. I remember seeing it at full price and then not at all later on, not even among used games, and I was pretty obsessive in my hunt for cheap PS1 RPGs back then.

I imagine the games from this gen that'll end up valuable will be similar to previous gens. RPGs, shmups, and horror games are a few genres to watch out for. But not just any games in those genres. It's gotta be ones that get relatively small print runs and go under the radar.
    Agree with all of this. I recall having Suikoden 2 on my want list from the time it first came out so I would remember to buy it when it saw a price drop. That drop never came and I ended up getting super lucky at some tiny game shop a year or so after release that just happened to have one new copy in their glass case. Of course, I still ended up paying full MSRP.

I think it's pretty unlikely that many of the niche publisher games games from the likes of Limited Run Games and others will appreciate in value. There are just too many people collecting and buying doubles and keeping them sealed for supply to ever really get too strained. Even a lot of the retail niche titles are getting scooped up nowadays by collectors with more disposable income than sense. I think the few titles that appreciate in value will be ones that really flew beneath everyone's radar, but it's harder and harder to slip below notice given how many forums and social media groups there are dedicated to "limited print run" games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I think it's pretty unlikely that many of the niche publisher games games from the likes of Limited Run Games and others will appreciate in value. There are just too many people collecting and buying doubles and keeping them sealed for supply to ever really get too strained.
    Heck, most of them have eventually come up on eBay cheaper than what it cost to get them upon release. I just got Ace of Seafood for cheaper then it was from LRG.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I'm kind of reminded of the speculator boom in Comic Books here. As people like Linkara have pointed out, the reason really old comics are rare and valuable was because not many copies are floating around anymore. You can't artificially create a valuable comic just by declaring it a limited collector's item... inevitably people are going to buy several copies anticipating it becoming valuable, and then it doesn't... because collectors bought dozens of copies so its nowhere near rare or expensive.

In effect, what the post two posts above me said people are doing with modern games. Stuff from older generations, nobody was seriously collecting and a lot of it wound up disposed of by kids who didn't know better, that's why its rare now, but as adults we expect a niche RPG or whatever to become collectable in 30 years.

There's also what another person said, how so many releases are digital now.

Honestly the only games I think will truly become rare are gonna be weird situations like say Silent Hill P.T. or any other case where downloads/updated versions are impossible to get. I mean, unless everyone just embraces piracy.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Games released as limited collector's items seem to rise in value about as often as games in general do. A few do, most don't. I've been selling off some of my older PS4 releases from LRG, and a handful have increased to multiple times what I paid for them. But there are far more that I'm more or less breaking even on. But that's the nice thing about limited releases. Even if they don't increase in price, they don't tend to drop in price much either. I don't know if we'll ever see a LRG release worth less than 5 bucks like a copy of Madden or some such. So in that way, limited releases are kind of "safe" investments. That said, video games have never been worthwhile as investments.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I'm gonna start buying up copies of Madden 2016 until no one can find them anymore, then I will slowly sell them off, charging 100x what I paid for them initially 😁

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I have a good memory on this one because I was visiting and staying with some family members. Here's actually what I posted at LRG in a thread games you regret picking up.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli
    I purchased Suikoden 2 prior to this, but when I was visiting some family, Suikoden 2 was $20 at a Walmart where they lived. It was a huge stack of them, atleast 10+ copies and with my cousin interested in picking up a game, I recommended them pick up Suikoden 2. So atleast they got a copy, but this is one of those Back to the Future moments where you wish you could go back and buy the entire stack of Suikoden 2's or the entire bin of Earthbound that's clearanced out for $20 at pretty much every Walmart. If only we new these games would be so expensive in the future
    Quote Originally Posted by aretokas
    I remember when I found this game for $20 in a dusty corner of BigW all those years ago. Needless to say I snapped it up and played it to death. It is also one of my all time favs, and pretty much the only reason that I keep a PS2 floating around.
    Since obvious it's impossible for me to have purchased Suikoden 2 for $20 new according to Aussie, and obvious Bojay, because well, Bojay will disagree with whatever I say regardless. Decided to look up a previous post I made about the experience in another forum and decided I'd also try and Google another similar experience and look what I found. Confirmation that I wasn't the only one to find the game for cheap, at the same location no less.

http://www.mightyrabbitstudios.com/l...t=3318&p=80697

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/09/wh...in-diablo-iii/

//

The only difference about PS4, Switch, etc, games being less expensive than past generations, are games that are on all consoles. You still do have those rarities that are on multiple consoles plus they're still high priced, Dokapon Kingdom for example, and it was actually not even expensive on PS2 for several years after the fact. But really most games that are on PS4 are likely on the Switch or Xbox One and if they're not, you still never know if the price will increase or not.

What you need to do is buy everything that's exclusive on all of the current gen consoles and then just start hyping them all up as hidden gems. The ones that receive that hype are generally the ones that increase in value as long as they're less main stream.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Uh, I never said it was impossible for you to have purchased Suikoden 2 for $20. You were the one talking in absolutes, saying " Suikoden 2 was never hard to find cheap before it went out of print." I was merely saying that, depending on one's location, yes, it was hard to find cheap.

I saw and bought dozens of PS1 RPGs on markdown back in the day, and saw and bought tons more from used sections for cheap. Suikoden 2 stands out as one that I never saw in stores except for at the full MSRP. Same with Valkyrie Profile. But for what it's worth, I never so much as stepped foot into a Walmart until well into the 2000s. That chain barely existed around where I was living back around when Suikoden 2 came out. So if Walmart and some Australian chain (Big W) were the only places where it was marked down, that would explain why I never came across a marked down copy. But I did, however, shop for games at GameStop, EB, Software Etc., Toys R Us, Fred Meyer, various independent game stores, etc. and never saw Suikoden 2 marked down or available used.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Uh, I never said it was impossible for you to have purchased Suikoden 2 for $20. You were the one talking in absolutes, saying " Suikoden 2 was never hard to find cheap before it went out of print." I was merely saying that, depending on one's location, yes, it was hard to find cheap.

I saw and bought dozens of PS1 RPGs on markdown back in the day, and saw and bought tons more from used sections for cheap. Suikoden 2 stands out as one that I never saw in stores except for at the full MSRP. Same with Valkyrie Profile. But for what it's worth, I never so much as stepped foot into a Walmart until well into the 2000s. That chain barely existed around where I was living back around when Suikoden 2 came out. So if Walmart and some Australian chain (Big W) were the only places where it was marked down, that would explain why I never came across a marked down copy. But I did, however, shop for games at GameStop, EB, Software Etc., Toys R Us, Fred Meyer, various independent game stores, etc. and never saw Suikoden 2 marked down or available used.

Agree. Walmart clearance also tends to be highly YMMV. I remember when the Saturn was being phased out seeing stacks of more obscure games at one Walmart location still at full price years later while the location closest to my house at the time dropped almost everything below $10 and sold out their stock quickly. It's not impossible that anyone bought any now hard to find and valuable game for cheap back in the day. I know I still have a couple of cartons of Earthbound from when they were cleared out at the local Best Buy for $5. That's different than a universal clearance that everyone had the opportunity to buy and just didn't for whatever reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As much as I hate to support kupomogli, I do remember buying Suikoden II for thirty bucks at a Wal-Mart in southwest Ohio in the summer of 2000. Six months later, I saw a few copies for twenty apiece at Circuit City. I also remember some posts here about greasy resellers in other parts of the country grabbing all the $20 copies they could, so maybe that's why other people didn't see the game so cheap.

And this isn't the first time this topic has been discussed. Scroll down through this delightful thread for a post from someone who got a $20 Suikoden II and someone else who never saw it discounted.

https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/s...just-children-!!
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I know I still have a couple of cartons of Earthbound from when they were cleared out at the local Best Buy for $5. That's different than a universal clearance that everyone had the opportunity to buy and just didn't for whatever reason.
    Earthbound was on clearance everywhere... and people just didn't buy it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Earthbound was on clearance everywhere... and people just didn't buy it.
    I will agree with you that Earthbound was widely clearanced. It also sounds like others had a similar experience to yours in finding Suikoden 2 on clearance. Not sure what that really has to do with the topic though other than just reinforcing that there is no real way to predict.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The bigger question would be asking if video games will still be widely collectible in the future or will people just move onto something else. Video games could become the same like beanie babies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I will agree with you that Earthbound was widely clearanced. It also sounds like others had a similar experience to yours in finding Suikoden 2 on clearance. Not sure what that really has to do with the topic though other than just reinforcing that there is no real way to predict.
    Well that was really the point, that there can be games on the current gen consoles that are expensive. Although we're likely not going to know that until 10 years or so atleast. There's not nearly as many exclusives the past two gens though, so there's likely not going to be as many games that are expensive or hard to get. I think if people are looking for games that will be higher priced in the future, they should look at 3DS games where nearly everything released is exclusive.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Exclusivity plays no role in rarity, and I don't think it plays a huge role in value either. Anybody who wants to play Stadium Events can play it in the form of World Class Track Meet. The fact that the game is common and cheap in another form doesn't stop Stadium Events from pulling in massive figures. When valuable games are ported/remade, sometimes the value takes some degree of a hit, but it usually doesn't make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    The bigger question would be asking if video games will still be widely collectible in the future or will people just move onto something else. Video games could become the same like beanie babies.
    While that was a concern immediately following the crash in the US, I think video games have been around for too long to ultimately be a fad. It's a basic form of entertainment now, like movies and TV, and will always have collectors among the fans. Prices will fluctuate as waves of nostalgia come and go, just as prices dropped on pre-crash games, but even past its height of collectibility, there are still people collecting pre-crash games and paying good money for the rarer games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    This. Besides, what fuels value of gamed to prospective buyers? Are younger, "current gen" folks going to be nostalgic for these games ten or twenty years down the road?

As mentioned before, what about digital downloads? Will it be a matter of just downloading the game or will people hoard their devices if it can't be easily downloaded? I can see it now:"iPhone 4S with Orig. Flappy Bird OMGRare!!!!!!!!!"

I'm going to predict that the market for modern games in the future is going to be pretty small. Many of the games that people (ie regular folk, not "gamers" per se) play are play and toss as they are about a buck a pop or free with ignorable micro transactions. I'd be very surprised if there would be a big push for something like the original "Candy Crush" or something along those lines. People will try to cash in on the concept ("Xbox 360 with Afterburner Climax RARE11112!!!Download") but will more than likely fail at getting anything reasonable or at all for such things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Exclusivity plays no role in rarity, and I don't think it plays a huge role in value either. Anybody who wants to play Stadium Events can play it in the form of World Class Track Meet. The fact that the game is common and cheap in another form doesn't stop Stadium Events from pulling in massive figures. When valuable games are ported/remade, sometimes the value takes some degree of a hit, but it usually doesn't make a big difference.
    The original release of a game that's later rereleased is completely different than a game that's released across multiple consoles. People want the original versions of these games. Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles is the only retail version of a game that includes Rondo of Blood in the west but the original version is high priced and not this version of the game that can be played on a US console. Final Fantasy 4 has a PS1 release that's identical to the original Japanese release as well as includes Chrono Trigger, yet the SNES version of Final Fantasy 2 is higher price because "it's the original release in the west" despite that the game itself is an inferior version. It's not inferior in the sense of it being Final Fantasy 4 Easy Type which a lot of people like to say yet they have no idea what they're talking about, as Easy Type was based on the US version and made even easier, but it is still inferior to the original release of which the PS1 version essentially is(and no additional loading like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 5, and Final Fantasy 6.)

Like Smash Bros does for most Nintendo series, these rereleases likely have a positive effect on the oriignal versions of these games, because people enjoy the games and then likely want to get the oriignal versions of said games.

How many third party multi console games for past systems can you think of that are high priced? Games with the same title but are completely different games don't count, as the games themselves are essentially exclusive.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post

How many third party multi console games for past systems can you think of that are high priced? Games with the same title but are completely different games don't count, as the games themselves are essentially exclusive.
    Actually, on modern consoles, quite a few. For example F1 2009 on the Wii is valuable despite the fact that the same game can be had on at least three other consoles in superior versions at 10% of the price. Similarly, there are a lot of third party games on PSP that were ports of games on other platforms that are significantly more valuable than the original versions. Heck, it's happening right now with the LRG stuff. People are paying premiums for the Switch CEs and dumping their PS4 CEs. Exclusivity is only one factor in collectibility and value.
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 12-12-2018 at 06:57 PM.