Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What modern games will be collectible in the future?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Indeed, there are tons of multiplatform games where one version is significantly more valuable, just because it's rarer. And the most valuable version is often not the best version.

As far as "collectibility" goes, the original version of a game counts for something, but I see far more people talking about wanting to play "definitive" versions of games, and later versions are often regarded as better in that regard. So the later version sells way more copies, and the older version commands a premium because there are fewer to go around. As for Rondo, the PC Engine version is not only significantly rarer, but it's also a superior version in a number of ways (it's the only proper physical console release, for one; playing a handheld game with TV out just isn't the same). So its price definitely has way more factors involved than it being the original release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    This. Besides, what fuels value of gamed to prospective buyers? Are younger, "current gen" folks going to be nostalgic for these games ten or twenty years down the road?

As mentioned before, what about digital downloads? Will it be a matter of just downloading the game or will people hoard their devices if it can't be easily downloaded? I can see it now:"iPhone 4S with Orig. Flappy Bird OMGRare!!!!!!!!!"

I'm going to predict that the market for modern games in the future is going to be pretty small. Many of the games that people (ie regular folk, not "gamers" per se) play are play and toss as they are about a buck a pop or free with ignorable micro transactions. I'd be very surprised if there would be a big push for something like the original "Candy Crush" or something along those lines. People will try to cash in on the concept ("Xbox 360 with Afterburner Climax RARE11112!!!Download") but will more than likely fail at getting anything reasonable or at all for such things.
    Not so much Flappy Bird and Candy Crush but I could see Minecraft and Fortnight, or whatever the kids are playing these days. In 15-30 years kids who played those will have the same nostalgia that we have for the games we grew up with. What the market will look like for playing these games no one can guess. Or how you even "collect" a digital only game, but the nostalgia will be there.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I imagine those nostalgic for digital-only games will largely be turning toward emulation to recapture their childhood. But with the way Steam has more and more retro games available these days, the most popular digital-only games currently will probably be available to legally purchase when today's kids are adults. My guess is that there will be very little in the way of people buying systems because of what's installed.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

In 20 years Nintendo Labo is going to be the next Earthbound..... except, well, it'd be the next Earthbound if Earthbound wasn't very good and you got bored of it in five minutes, but I'm atleast predicting Labo will be expensive. First off, it's a Nintendo product, then there's how easy this junk is to destroy. You can print the stuff out and create more, but there's still going to be the official Nintendo cardboard cutouts which will be rare to find in good condition. I'm not making a joke prediction. A complete version of Labo will be super expensive, but even if it's just the software, because Labo is such a massive failure, it's likely that it won't get more than one printing, and with it being a Nintendo product on Nintendo's second highest selling console(atleast I'm using that assumption anyways,) it'll have many more people who are interested in buying these in the future. What can I say other than Nintendo fans are stupid(j/k j/k.)
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I wouldn't put any money on Labo becoming collectible mostly because I see hordes of them still being sealed in the next 15 to 20 years and no one wanting to buy them because there's no nostalgia for something no one used

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I'm not up to speed on the new stuff but I have a few predictions and maybe some of you can tell me if I am right or wrong.

What will be valuable:
    -unopened first print Amiibos

This, but its not gonna be for awhile. I dont think the first print runs will be worth much more over secondary prints. The initial waves of amiibos werent especially rare (except for a few figs), it was just that scalpers bought up entire store stocks.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm pretty clueless on Amiibos, but is it that uncommon for them to stay unopened after they've been bought? I know they have gameplay functions, but it seems like a ton of people just buy them as collectible figures and keep them in the packaging.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I'm pretty clueless on Amiibos, but is it that uncommon for them to stay unopened after they've been bought? I know they have gameplay functions, but it seems like a ton of people just buy them as collectible figures and keep them in the packaging.
    Alot of people kept them sealed, alot of people opened them also. So sealed ones arent super rare... but there are a ALOT of them now so completing sets isnt easy. The problem is they take up alot of space, a set of smash amiibos can easily fill a large shelf.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    The bigger question would be asking if video games will still be widely collectible in the future or will people just move onto something else. Video games could become the same like beanie babies.
    Oh please don't fill me with false hopes of a day when old games are reasonably priced.

That said personally I think our savior will be pirate repro carts.

Probably comparably... in DVD cartoon collection, years ago Shout Factory's Transformers Matrix of Leadership used to be $200 used while their GI Joe footlocker (and Time Life's Real Ghostbusters) were like $80 and getting lower. It was assumed this was because the existance of a bootleg of the Matrix of Leadership set (there is no comparable bootleg of the other two things) had made the real thing more desirable... but years later, the situation reversed: You can now get a legit Matrix of Leadership set for sixty bucks (And in fact, I did) while the GI Joe Footlocker and the Time Life Real Ghostbusters both go for $300-$500 on used markets, and a part of me at least thinks this might be because of that same bootleg--people who really want a Matrix can get the hong kong one, while if you want a GI Joe footlocker or all the special features of Real Ghostbusters, you have only one option.

I wonder if Earthbound will be the same in a few years.

Right now the console I see gaining in value is the TurboGrafx, hucards specifically, because I almost never see those get bootleged. I dunno why, because its definitely possible, but it just doesn't seem to happen very often.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After 29 years the TurboGrafx kids will finally have one up on the Nintendo and Sega crowds.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I shudder to think of TG-16 games getting even more expensive than they already are. I'm just glad the system was a lot more successful in Japan, so there are tons of good imports that are plentiful and still pretty cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I shudder to think of TG-16 games getting even more expensive than they already are. I'm just glad the system was a lot more successful in Japan, so there are tons of good imports that are plentiful and still pretty cheap.
    That's best way to way to look at it currently given how much TG16 has skyrocketed in price,is pce second hand.Beside,cheaper alternatives for playing such as the turbo everdrive flash cart and fpga clones such as the super sd system 3.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

While that was a concern immediately following the crash in the US, I think video games have been around for too long to ultimately be a fad.
    I said widely collectible, there will always be people collecting them just as people did before it became the cool mainstream thing to do. Even with beanie babies some people still collect them, and some are actually still quite valuable. It's just that now the majority of them are basically worthless or near worthless as most people only buy them for cheap to have a cute bear on display, not really to collect them anymore.

I remember around 2000/2001-ish Atari 2600 games became somewhat popular to collect, even common games could be sold for $2-$5 each. Now good luck getting $1 for a common game, most people moved away from collecting that console except for a few collectors and it's just the rare games that have significant value. Barely any collectors I run across actually collect pre-NES anything, Atari, Coleco, Intellivision are all basically ignored by most collectors now.

Here's my opinion, if something can be found on ebay at any given time then it's not that rare. Most valuable NES/SNES games are listed on ebay at any time, even if the prices are listed high they're still easy to find and available for purchase. Copies are still selling and more copies are being listed every few months, they're really not that rare compared to other collectibles. For example with actual rare stuff related to VHS tapes and laserdiscs, I have several where copies only turn up once every few months or even years, yet most still barely sell for $10-$30 when they are actually available. Value for anything really just depends on demand, something being rare isn't enough. If games aren't collectible in the mainstream anymore then the value will just drop as they're still too common to find. For most people dealing with original hardware is more of a pain than anything as most people don't have the correct TVs to even play them, using original hardware requires buying various converters and dealing with various shortfalls like having no working lightgun games, and with age more hardware needs to be repaired or maintained just to keep running. Eventually most people besides the die hard collectors will give up and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    That said personally I think our savior will be pirate repro carts.

Probably comparably... in DVD cartoon collection, years ago Shout Factory's Transformers Matrix of Leadership used to be $200 used while their GI Joe footlocker (and Time Life's Real Ghostbusters) were like $80 and getting lower. It was assumed this was because the existance of a bootleg of the Matrix of Leadership set (there is no comparable bootleg of the other two things) had made the real thing more desirable... but years later, the situation reversed: You can now get a legit Matrix of Leadership set for sixty bucks (And in fact, I did) while the GI Joe Footlocker and the Time Life Real Ghostbusters both go for $300-$500 on used markets, and a part of me at least thinks this might be because of that same bootleg--people who really want a Matrix can get the hong kong one, while if you want a GI Joe footlocker or all the special features of Real Ghostbusters, you have only one option.
    I mostly hate pirate carts that look near perfect to the originals, I'll make exceptions to multicarts just because they're a neat oddity and of course translations or unreleased games are a bit different. I'm pretty sure someone released an alternate version of Streets of Rage 3 with added content a few years ago and it was available for purchase on a bootleg cart from a source, though I could be mixing it up with a different game instead. Old pirates from the 90's looked odd and were pretty hard to mistake for original games, they're still neat oddities to keep if found cheap. Straight modern pirates just irritate me and make me reluctant to buy anything I can't look over in person.

I'm not sure if bootlegs are specifically why those specific DVDs are cheaper. I thought that the Matrix of Leadership was reprinted or more widely available at some point, that's why it's cheaper now. It was in more high demand when the Transformers movies were starting to come out but now it dropped because the interest in the films dropped and the sets are more common to find. The GI Joe and Real Ghostbusters sets are harder to find and that's why they're so expensive now. I personally was waiting for the Real Ghostbusters set to drop in price before I would buy it but that never happened. Oh well. I've kind of moved on from older cartoons anyway so I'm not buying as many sets these days. Just wait until these series get released on Bluray, then the value of the DVDs will drop. As formats for video keep changing the older ones will get less valuable as long as they get re-released on the newer formats. Nobody would have thought their VHS tapes or laserdiscs would have become so worthless, people spent so much on these when they were new.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I wouldn't go so far as to call retro game collecting "mainstream". Modern gaming and buying AAA games digitally is what's mainstream. But retro collecting is less niche than it used to be, if only because there's more awareness of it, as there's more awareness of just about everything that's niche thanks to how ubiquitous the internet is now. Back in the day, a lot of us were more or less collecting in our own little bubbles, without talking to a ton of other collectors and making our collecting known to those who don't collect. I do think retro collecting has become something of a hipster-y fad for some, especially when the games in question are from before their time, same reason why vinyl collecting has become more popular recently. They enjoy watching AVGN and what have you on Youtube and decide to buy some retro games themselves on a whim. When the novelty wears off, their stuff will end up on the market again. But I think most people buying and selling are flippers who are aware enough of game collecting to think there's money to be made and people with nostalgia for what they're buying. Some will get their nostalgia fix and eventually dump their stuff too, likely causing prices to drop some on late 80s and 90s games as they did with pre-crash games. It makes sense that there seem to be more collectors than ever because the gaming populace grew over time. If there were more players of NES and the 16-bit systems than there were for pre-crash systems, it's only natural the ratio would carry through and result in more collectors of those games as well. And that's on top of the extra demand produced by the fact that companies like Nintendo and Sega are still around and still promoting awareness and nostalgia for their classics. It's easier to forget about and lose interest in pre-crash systems and games when they have little relevancy on the current market.

As for eBay, it's harder to use that as a judge of rarity than it used to be. When everything was an auction and most people started low, sure, a rare game game would come and go and then not be seen again for months. But now, it's more likely to see a rare game available at any given time, just it's so overpriced it'll sit on eBay for months and months on end. When there isn't a fee to list an item, there isn't much incentive to sell it immediately. And with the greater awareness of collecting, some stuff is bought for the purpose of selling. For example, I've been selling off some of my LRG stuff, and one game I'm selling is variant of which only 600 copies exist. I'd say that's pretty dang rare. That's probably not much more than a lot of rare games that pull in huge figures. But the demand isn't there for what I'm selling, and on top of that, a lot of people bought it to resell. There are always multiple copies of that variant available on eBay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I wouldn't go so far as to call retro game collecting "mainstream".
    So things like the NES Classic or SNES Classic aren't available from major retailers? They're only available from specialty game stores?

The Atari 2600 was available for sale longer than both the NES and SNES combined, there should be more players for the Atari 2600 than the more modern NES or SNES consoles. People just got bored with the Atari games sooner, it'll still happen with more modern systems once the fad dies down. It's hard to remember that consoles like the NES and SNES were only marketed for about 5 years before replacements were introduced, compare that to the PS2, PS3, or XBOX 360. Flippers and resellers are only able to profit off of games because people are willing to pay big bucks for them, mostly hipsters like you've mentioned. When they stop collecting, there won't be as much money for resellers so they'll stop buying them to flip.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I think one reason Atari game prices and that era of games isn't expensive now is because those games haven't aged well at all. Just looking at screenshots of them makes my eyes bleed.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I think it goes without saying that the Vita exclusives, the very few they are will be highly collectible. Some that aren't exclusive even.

Soul Sacrifice Delta and Oreshika Tainted Bloodline are exclusives that were only released in English in the Asian regions, being probably the most expensive on the system. Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment is exclusive physically, originally released on Vita and that one is higher priced. Then others released in the west like Dungeon Travelers 2, Demon Gaze, etc. Then you've got ones that aren't exclusive but highly sought Vita titles, Final Fantasy 10-2 can be purchased physically on PS4, but the Vita version in the west only includes a voucher so a lot of people want this one. Then there's English Asian versions of both PS4 and Vita releases of Super Robot Wars V, SD Gundam G Generation Genesis as well as others(the Vita having many that haven't had a US release) which I'm sure will be high priced eventually on both consoles. The Vita version of SD Gundam G Generation Genesis is the only two card Vita game, install card and game card, so I think that reason alone might increase the cost of that game once more Vita collectors know about it. Obviously the NIS retail exclusives, LRG releases, etc will be expensive as well.

The Vita might be a massive disappointment that no one bought, but because of that it'll also probably be the most collectible of all the failures.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

The collector trend from social media seems to be vast but here are generally what people collect for

1. Complete set collector for specific system (WiiU, Vita, switch & etc)
    2. Collect only their favorite franchise. They want to get every game release, variant and memorabilia
    3. Rare title that worth money from various system. IE: PS2 collector constantly display rule of rose, haunting ground and ku-on as their rarest games that worth money.
    4. LGR, strictly limited, and many other limited release games
    5. limited version console/handheld. Some collector aiming for complete N64, DS, 3ds and etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post
    The collector trend from social media seems to be vast but here are generally what people collect for

1. Complete set collector for specific system (WiiU, Vita, switch & etc)
    2. Collect only their favorite franchise. They want to get every game release, variant and memorabilia
    3. Rare title that worth money from various system. IE: PS2 collector constantly display rule of rose, haunting ground and ku-on as their rarest games that worth money.
    4. LGR, strictly limited, and many other limited release games
    5. limited version console/handheld. Some collector aiming for complete N64, DS, 3ds and etc.
    What happened to the collectors who focussed on collecting their favourite games to play on various consoles? Normal people you'd actually want to talk to?

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

People who buy any random games on any random systems just based on what looks appealing to them generally don't regard themselves as collectors. They're just regular gamers. Collectors have some sort of framework behind what they're looking to buy beyond "stuff I like to play".

There's nothing wrong with people who collect full sets, rare games, hardware variants, etc. Those are the kinds of people that this forum was made by and for.